Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Obsurveyor posted:

It's been awhile since I played and maybe I'm remembering wrong, still on the first real mission of the game and I thought I quit after losing to the boss again because I didn't want to go farming more elixirs. Maybe I never checked after that loss. :shobon:

You always get 3 min elixirs back from the shrine with +1 per 5 Kodama you find I believe.

There is never a time where you will respawn after death and not have elixir to my knowledge, I actually was afraid of this at first and spent SO long going thru to the 1st boss while only using an elixir if I had more than 3 so I wouldn't run out....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

No spoilers but did any of the words "horizon" "zero" or "dawn" end up meaning anything to the story?

I just did a mission where they reference a project Zero Dawn and it has massive implication into the story so yes at least to the point I'm at it has come up

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Yakuza 0 looks like GTA mixed with Dynasty Warriors-esque combat, how accurate is that? I'm about to finish up Horizon, still have Nier waiting for me when I finish but now being tempted by Yakuza as well after watching a few clips

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I started Yakuza the other night and I wasn't totally sold until I trained a fledgling dominatrix how to be a S&M queen in front of some children then observed her first performance with a client.

Then a guy the size of 3 humans punched all the money out of me.

10/10 so far good recommend goons, got Nier also but enjoying the insanity in Yakuza too much to switch just yet.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

unlawfulsoup posted:

What do you need 32gb of ram for?

What is he gonna not fill up all the slots like some kind of peasant?

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I remember reading in some article long ago that DS3 originally was going to have some kind of system where you placed your own bonfires or something along those lines. Maybe explains why they seem just dropped in so readily around the rest of the areas and why you constantly can find shortcuts back through places that there is no reason run through because you already got the bonfire past it. Not sure the exact mechanics behind this but it was scrapped completely obviously and to me it seems like they just had to place them fairly quickly and obviously in a rush almost.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I played them in order of 3 - 1 - BB - 2

I think if you play 3 without the expectations (or even just the skill/mechanics learned) from the other games it comes off great, I really really enjoyed 3 as my entry to the series and it alone gave me the push to finally go back to DS1 and finish it and then BB, SotfS etc. I really think they chose to go this route to get more people who had never maybe tried the series into it and have that drive them into exploring the other games.

They all have their own appreciable quirks and major "strengths" IMO, I don't understand what the point of comparing them so directly is. All of them are different and have appreciable factors, all of them are at the least 7/10 games depending on your personal slant towards any of them.

The debate of the "best" souls like game is going to be eternal and there will never be a definitive answer, all of them have pro's and con's and blanket statements often cannot be applied to them.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Only DS1 has the "HE'S BACK" video so objectively this is probably the best one. Can you even get the Fathers Mask in DS3? I beat it 3 times and don't think I had one quite like it.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I just bought Persona 5 through the Amazon Prime discount, can anyone help me invent time travel now because I am only 25 hours into Yakuza 0 (and just unlocked the Cabaret Club) and still have Nier: Automata waiting untouched after that.

At least I can justify it because dealz right?

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

FFXV Ending Chat: I thought the ending was cool to watch but unsatisfying and made no sense to me. Basically you wake up after 10 years missing, meet up with your friends with little to no fanfare at all, immediately walk up to the castle where you have the final fight, then you just leave your friends standing outside with a basically undefeatable army encroaching onto them while you go inside and kill yourself to restart the world. Then it all just happens again? What am I missing here, seems more like you hosed everyone over to an endless cycle the more I thought about it.
I feel like it would make way more sense if you sacrificed yourself and save everything (as in SEE what the results after saving them are) rather than literally going back to the beginning of the game because everyone already died.

I still enjoyed FFXV but the ending was just kinda like, WTF is going on to me especially with what happens to the other members of the gang.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 6, 2017

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

LordMune posted:

Where did you get the cyclic recurrence idea from? The game is pretty explicit about the end being, in fact, the end.

I mean it like literally restarted the game from the intro once you beat it without me choosing to do so, I took that as some kind of cycle I guess or some reason that it did because most games don't just start over. Certainly possible I was just overthinking it. I like it even less then because what happened at the end is pretty much everyone died? I don't see how any of the gang lives after you go into the building. I admittedly may be forgetting some details because I beat it right after it came out and never played it again other than to finish a few trophies I was near.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 6, 2017

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Another tip that is helpful in Nier is to try to stay on the main story for the most part until you unlock fast travel so you don't have to spend so much time running around on side quests.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

If my war vet grandpappy would walk into the room and shake his head at the game I'm playing then it's anime thats the law

I thought anime was evil but now I'm deep in Persona 5 and also Nier and Yakuza and it turns out those asian fellows are alright afterall, nothing to be scared of here folks

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Is Yakuza anime?

That's a toughie.

I've gotten both answers already so I think my divisive post was a major success, grandpaps would be proud

Actually I think my anime problem first started back when I played Disgaea 5 for the first time, now that game is anime hopefully we can all agree

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yakuza films are a whole well-defined genre of film, primarily live-action, so by definition it is actually not anime

well its just a live action anime then like power rangers

while I intended this to be facetious I've actually now just confused myself, I will have to have a long think on anime

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

I had a problem in P4 where I felt like every decision with what to do with my time was wrong
. I found it incredibly stressful thinking I was going to miss things. That seems like it would be compounded by a 100 hour game I will probably only play once. I don't want to play with a guide telling me what to do but drat, the stress!

P5 better or worse or same, for that?

It depends on if you will feel a compulsion to max out every single S-Link and stat, you can probably do quite a bit but will need a guide to truly get close to 100%

I have never played a Persona game at all before P5 and I feel like I'm at a pace to end up with a lot of maxed links and be pretty decent on stats, I've checked a guide periodically just to see if there are any big events I shouldn't miss but aside from what the other person said about being forced to go to bed for days at a time here and there it's pretty easy at least to determine who I should see on which days etc.

The cat tells you to go to bed a lot in the beginning of the game, I've been experiencing this less and less as I continue. There will definitely be a time you just want to go buy plant food or something and can't leave your room for a few days because you are in the middle of a few days of plot. This is more just an annoyance than a huge problem though, it didn't last as long as everyone seems to imply IMO unless it comes back heavy later. I'm about 30h in and just finished the 3rd palace for context.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 17, 2017

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I'm almost 30 and if you asked me would say I have no interest at all in anime (tried to watch several recommended series and didn't find myself interested very much), the aesthetic of the game does help a lot. I think as a whole package it just does a really nice job, the things you do in the life simulator part affecting your combat in the RPG dungeon crawler part adds to the mechanic also.

I bought the game based on its style alone and hoped that it would win me over and it did, now I'm not suggesting that is a very good strategy for buying games but this one in particular worked out alright for me. Persona more than any game I'm pretty sure people's initial reaction to it can tell them to buy it or not, when I saw it I went wow that aesthetic is crazy and the game is super steeped in it which I liked, if you saw a video of the gameplay and went, what the gently caress is this poo poo? I'm guessing the game won't win you over by playing it.

I don't mean this to be negative just that it's strange how with this particular game everyone's first reaction seems to be correct for them

Scorps fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 17, 2017

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I think ME:A is significantly worse off in the writing than Persona 5 is. I think Persona 5 can be overly cheesy but I think it works much better in the context and environment of that game itself. Plus it has the standard "JRPG Quirkyness" stuff. ME:A just is a mess and has really inconsistent and baffling tone to a lot of the writing where it comes off as trying to be edgy irongically. I think the characters in Persona 5 are pretty interesting, I feel like they all have realistic personalities at least although they definitely are "caricatures" of specific archetypes (but that's the whole point of Persona I'm pretty sure)

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

i just realized that my own avatar could probably be considered anime, now I will have to double my thinking length on this anime conundrum....

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Does Nier: A have a super similar color scheme or a haze effect or something to it, for some reason the last 2 times I've played it my eyes just feel like they are bugging out and don't want to focus correctly on the screen like it doesn't have enough depth or something? I'm having trouble identifying what my issue is with it not sure if maybe I was just really tired and my eyes were screwy or if other people experienced similar things. Feels like everything is like too light and not enough contrast almost? Something about the viewport just seems super cramped and I can't really put my finger on it.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

OK thank god because I was seriously wondering if there was something wrong with my vision since it just felt so weird. I just completed the desert area and the amusement park yesterday and it seemed to be getting better so hopefully I don't have to deal with it too much since I am enjoying the game itself and would like to fully complete it.

One other minor quibble, is there a way to turn off the semi-transparent letterbox bars that show up during the in-game cutscenes? They are super annoying, looked in the settings but didn't see any way to turn it completely off so guessing there isn't but just in case I missed it

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

The main quest of HZD is the part that makes it a game worthy of praise, the side quests are good enough to not make you hate them but only a couple of them are really super interesting. I think a lot of people might be burning themselves out trying to complete side content, if it doesn't seem fun just keep trucking with the main story. There is a LOT more to it than you probably think, all my friends who played it after me thought they were close to the end when they were only scratching the surface of the main plot and had been doing so many side quests.

IMO it starts to get really going starting from the story mission where you climb the ruins of the FARO office tower and see Elizibet and Teds first discussion (minor spoiler, and is about the midpoint of the game mission wise)

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

One of the biggest tips for Bloodborne and Dark Souls is that unless you're fighting a boss, you don't have to kill anything.

Like, there's a giant staircase in the Dark Souls 3 DLC with a bunch of Harald knights. I bothered with kiting out two or three, but when three more showed up... gently caress that, they're slow, jumping into the swamp.

The werewolves on the bridge in Bloodborne are notorious for murdering new players. Just run! They can't get into the house!

Obviously you don't want to run everywhere, but there's no reason to beat your head against a wall if you're up against some bullshit encounter. It's not like Bayonetta or something – the only grade you get is alive or dead.

I feel like it's a pretty natural step for most people to try at least one time but agreed it is a huge tactic for those games. I still remember just being exasperated and saying gently caress it while I mad dashed to the bonfire etc. and being surprised that I made it but also amazed that it worked and I could just do that. Watching a speedrun can show you just how ridiculous it is where you only have to kill the bosses basically and can take virtually no damage and spend the rest of the game just jogging around

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

There is a hunt "Venias Mart Under Attack" or somethign like that you can use for ridiculously easy levels once you have the Ring of Lucii, you basically move your car to the closest point you can to the mission, then abuse using the "Return to last rest" to go back and turn in/accept the quest again then "Return to Car" to go back. Check out in this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAe23uXwkw

You can kill each of them with 1 channel of the ring and get a ridiculous amount of money and XP, once you have banked up a shitload go to the 3x hotel in that canal area (apologies I did this several months ago so some of the details are a bit vague)

Also if I remember right there is a lot more endgame content than you described, there is a series of dungeons you have to do in order to unlock some kind of door I remember and around that part is where I stopped playing. Definitely get the Regalia Type-F though because it's hilarious just to see the death scenes that result from it. There is also a platforming dungeon that you can only access once you have it.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Morby posted:

Thanks! Seems way more efficient than going through the whole game again.

Yeah make sure you eat the XP buff food also, I did it just 1 entire duration of food (so 30m I think?) and got all my guys from 60ish to high 80's. TBH I don't think you really need to go higher than this to kill Adamantoise it just adds some padding for stats and makes it slightly quicker. Either way that fight was long as hell.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Szurumbur posted:

I think with the new and improved Ring you can basically Alterna most of the opponents, the spoilered one include, it's just a matter of high enough Magic stat and although it's still a percentage chance, it's not so low as Death was.

Did they patch or change the ring somehow? Like I said I hit that game really hard right after it came out, blew through the whole thing and most post game stuff and then never played it again. I was done when they were only just announcing a major patch was to come. I know they added a bunch of QoL stuff and changed Chapter 13 so maybe I should revisit it, is only the Gladio DLC out so far? Maybe I'll wait until they all are released and do a NG+ so I can see how they changed 13. I think they raised the level cap even too right, it was 99 when I was playing isn't it like 120 now?

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Morby posted:

I just finished the game a few days ago. If this is the new and improved 13, it still sucks. Definitely the worst part of the game for me. So unnecessary.

Yeah when I say improved I think they just added more clarification and cutscenes, honestly they probably made it longer. I could never get the hiding portion to work EVER so I basically just had to run around until I had the ring off cooldown every time, huge waste. Chapter 13 is the one place in the game the Moogle Doll is useful though. First and foremeost though I just had no real idea WTF was going on and didn't realize until I read later The empty emperors clothes when you reach the top are because the emperor is the Foras that chases you and is like the right hand guy of Ifrit at the end. All they need to do to MASSIVELY improve this section is give you access to the RA much earlier so you can at least loving attack and make a choice between HP or damage. Up until you get that it's just maddening.

If they clarify that AT ALL it is a major improvement because when I played it I legitimately had no idea what the gently caress was going on whatsoever from Chp 12 on basically. We get it Noctis is lovely on his own and his bro's are a huge asset to him but I got that in the first 5 seconds and then I end up meeting with the guys anyway :confused:

Scorps fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 24, 2017

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Yakuza 0 and just put the combat on Easy if you don't want to have to worry about difficult fights, the average fight on the street are super easy anyway so it would only be if you are worried about some of the boss fights. Or Horizon for a bit of a change of pace before diving straight into another deep story Japanese game.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I would pay a stupid amount of money just for an updated Gran Turismo 3: A Spec on PS4

That game was like the best racing game ever (never played Forza which I know is basically of similar caliber)

I really want a game where I start with a lovely car, buy some upgrades to it, and slowly get better and better cars/parts for them until I get a new license etc. GT3 just had that perfect slow drip of increase where I could save up for a whole new car or just pimp out the one I had until it was best in class. No other game really has anything like that which I feel like was the best hook in ever.

Need for Speed Pro Street was also a really cool game with similar concept and a little more refined "career" mode but less realistic and less cars. I don't remember if you unlocked them either. Basically PS4 please get some better old school racing games on PS-Now at the very least :(

Scorps fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 25, 2017

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

They tell you the reaper will come get you if you stay too long in Memento's literally the first time you go there. The way he worded it seems spoilerly but is really just a weird oversight, there is 5 days on the calendar of "flu season" that can inflict it with a status that kills it in 3 turns if you fight him during those days. Presumably due to an oversight, since he is immune to all other status effects and supposed to be hard. Basically it's a super soft spoiler of a minor exploit. I wouldn't be surprised if you easily go the entire game without seeing the Reaper normally. My spoilered text is basically what the exploit is in case you don't want to know.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I think the way that he worded it led to it intentionally seeming much worse than it is, while it was an offhand comment it probably didn't need to be posted in that way even though it was just drawing attention to the weird way you can kill it with the exploit. At the very least he could have just said there is a boss that <spoiler text in tags> but it truly was minor ultimately what he said since it is explicitly explained very quickly in game to you.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 27, 2017

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

The only spoilers I like are the kind that go on my race car in the remake of GT3 that I demand be made still.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Neron posted:

I was looking at some chess games for PS4 and looks like there is only one, Pure Chess. Anyone played it?

I have not played it but the brief review I read basically said if you want to play solo it's very good and has a lot of good AI challenges, if you want to play others online it basically doesn't have a real time online mode period. It does have local multiplayer though I believe.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

Really dumb question I should know the answer to, but I don't exactly know how to google it.

Is there a way to bring a local friend with me online in games like Rocket League without having the second profile be active with PS+? I have a few dummy profiles set up, but they don't have PSN tags. When I try to bring them with me in RL, I'm asked to sign them in. I've also tried it with the guest function, but it also asks me to sign the guest into PSN. I'm spoiled from the 360 days where you could load up with 3 guests and jump into a match of Halo as long as the one profile had an active sub.

I have never gotten this to properly work on PS4 no matter how I tried to do it, if there is a way I would love to know the answer as well. I suspect it's broken on PSN specifically but not sure.

To the post above me: it will force the guest account to sign in with a PSN account before you can queue for a match, it doesn't have to be a PSN+ though I don't think (not sure tho). It's still annoying though because you have to basically create a secondary account just for a guest unless I am missing something.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Nioh definitely overused some of the enemies IMO, I like what it was trying to do they just needed more slightly different actual enemies so I don't have to fight that loving chains first boss 100 times in various configurations. It was kind of cool the first time when you are like "wow this guy is so easy now" but then it just becomes old. There is very little time past the halfway point that you see an enemy and don't know exactly what to do. This helps to make it more accessible I think but also cheapens the level of variety at the same time, it's a trade off really I can see both sides of it.

I really like what it brought to the table though, I think if they refine some of it and just spend some more time on diversity of enemies and on continuing some of the more interesting level designs the formula will be very good.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Any suggestions for good games from the Golden Week sale? Was thinking of Gravity Rush 2 and maybe one of the Dragon Warrior games but not sure which one. Heard Odin Sphere also is good/cool?

There are a lot of same-y looking games and I'm sure some of them are garbage so let me know any goon certified goodgame in the list I need to grab? I should mention I have Nier already probably since that would be recommended first I assume.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I've beaten FFXV already so I'll check out Berseria and Odin Sphere and maybe check out Gravity Rush on a later sale, thanks!

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Aardark posted:

Is Dark Souls still good?? I remember playing Demon's Souls back when nobody knew about Form Software, but it seems they got too popular for their own good...

Uhh yes Dark Souls is still good, I would say that it probably is considered by most who have played them all to be the "best" Dark Souls game (this is not to start a debate I realize people have favorites of all 3). The level design is constantly lauded and for good reason, the game definitely is a bit dated now and if you've played some of the newer ones you may sorely miss some of the fast animations but Dark Souls is still a fantastic game even to go thru for your first time. Up thru O&S it's some of the best of that style gaming ever made, it kind of plateaus there and doesn't finish as strongly but it's worth completing for sure.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I think that the base game of 3 is possibly the "easiest" of the 3 but it's just because you can be a little more aggressive without punishment if you do it right. I played 3 for the first Souls game ever (I imagine to most people the first one they play would be the "hardest" until they learn some of the formula for success) and I still think 3 is the easiest after completing all of them. Part of it is just how easy it is to link rolls together in 3, it's much more fluid and you can get away with a lot by dodging constantly.

I haven't beaten any of the DLC for 3 but I have heard that it is good and adds a couple of extremely difficult bosses.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

I can't wait to play 3 games worth of DLC when we climb the Shinra tower, I hope they add some kind of stamina endurance minigame or make me stop to cook food for my team