Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Sonys security team must still suck. A lot.

Nevermind SMS authentication being about the least reliable of 2fa they could do. Why not do Google authenticator and use a real 2fa protocol?

When I went to set it up, I had to leave the account page (what?) and ended up hitting 4 different portals in the whole process. All of them with unique domain names, each signed with an individual SSL cert, all from different CAs, with loving stupid names like login.sonyloginofamericainc.com.

It was so primitive that I assumed I had clicked on a fake Playstation site, and had my credentials mined from me. I'm still not entirely convinced I didn't, but logging in through links from the official playstation site take me to the right information, so..

I mean, I guess it's better than no authentication, but the whole thing seems so sketchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Maybe I have no soul, but I'm not enjoying The Last Guardian.

Every time I start to get into it, the camera and controls immediately pull me out of it. I get bored of it after playing about 20 minutes and don't care to play anymore.

Everyone has talked about how amazing the game is, so I'm going to finish it. I'm never thinking "man, I want to play TLG!" I usually have to force myself to slog through it.

I know I don't have to, but I want to see this ending everyone is talking about. Plus, I keep convincing myself that it gets better, or that I'm one play session from seeing what everyone raves about.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Checking in to say I just beat TLG.

The short summary of my impressions is that overall it's good.

The story is really good and I was so invested that all the fear, suspense, joy, anger the game tried to display really hit me. Trico is amazing. The work they did to make him feel real is unbelievable. It's stupid how emotionally invested in him I was.

The controls and camera are absolute garbage. Even if you try to hand wave Trico's commands as a meta part of the game.

The game works great when you interact with it as it expects, but confusing and frustrating when you don't. It took me forever to figure out how to feed Trico toward the end of the game because it wants you to do it a specific way.

I even liked the philosophy of "show don't tell" design, but there were some times that I was doing something, it didn't work, I look up a guide and I was doing the right thing, it just wasn't going through for some reason.

It was designed for a PS3 and runs like dog poo poo on the PS4 at times. I get there was a lot going on in the game, but it's pretty ambitious to develop a next next gen title.

Overall, I'm glad I stuck it out. I don't know if I'll ever play it again, almost purely because of the controls, but it's worth a play through despite all it's faults.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
I played The Witcher 3 tonight because I bought the season pass after loving the game on first play through. It's been a while since I last played.

God, I forgot how awesome it is.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I had it on disc long ago on the PS4, then sold it at some point, and bought it on the PC to get better performance. Has the performance of the PS4 version improved at all in the last year or so?

I just played TLG, so I may be over emphasizing the performance, but it feels great. They released a big (3gig) patch a few weeks ago, and a lot of the inventory menus have changed (I assume not just in blood and wine) and it's definitely more responsive.

Loading times are still kind of long (1-2 minutes), but I'm having so much fun with the story, it's an easy price to pay. This is on an amateur PS4.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, they improved the inventory interface yet again even that recently? I guess I should be amazed at how serious they are about supporting the game but I hope next time they save themselves a lot of work and make it good to begin with.

It also might just be that I haven't booted the game since I beat it + first DLC, but somewhere between then and now it's definitely changed and it feels (at least to me) more responsive.

Blood and Wine is a drat blast. I wasn't into the story of Witcher after watching 1 and 2 on a let's play. I bought w3 purely because this thread kept raving about it, and I'm so glad I did.

The only down side is that I stay up too late because I'm wrapped up in the game.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I finally cleared my Christmas backlog so I get to try some more niche stuff, read I'm now clearing my PS Plus backlog starting with the Path of Destinies fox thing. Actually quite enjoy it, the gameplay seems like it might get a bit shallow in the long term but the gimmick is pretty good and you can knock out a story variation in a brief session. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong though, because a review I read had the reviewer mention how he'd played for 3-4 hours and finally unlocked the first truth, and I've so far played two variations and unlocked one each time.

It just depends on which paths you take. The way I did it was a depth first search algorithm because I wanted to see all the endings. I found the first two truths pretty fast, too. I ended I getting a platinum on the game cause I liked it so much. It's got some bugs still in it, but overall I remember it fondly and would recommend everyone play it.

I also thought the combat system was pretty fun. I have tons of Bluetooth interference where my PS4 is, and it was still enjoyable.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Kadath posted:

Ive been having several different games crash fairly regularly for the last two months or so. Games have been both downloads and on disk.

The ps4 is an original I got new in mid 2014. I rebuilt the database and replaced the hard drive with a new 1tb and reinstalled the games manually, transferring save data only. I also made sure the side vents were clear of dust.

I'm still getting the same crashes (a mix of ce-34878-0 and "corrupt data" errors). I can run blu rays and netflix for hours without a single crash, the issue is only for games.Research has shown the errors are very generic and don't appear to be related to any single fix as far as I can tell.

Without any further troubleshooting ability to check individual components I'd have to guess the issue is on the main system board and related to heat or a failing component. The ps4 is in a well ventilated location and I haven't heard any excessive fan noise.

In short, am I looking at getting a new ps4?

To me it sounds like it could be a failing hard drive/bad sectors. I'd swap it out with a new one and see if it gets any better.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah the controllers audio quality is too poo poo for voice

Although, TLOU used it for playing back tape recordings, and I thought that was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

both knack and dark souls have the letters a and k in them

Yeah, but the size of the K is completely different. It changes the gameplay fundamentally.