Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

FF15 never gets impossible, the worst it gets is tedious. When you buy 99 phoenix downs and your group gauge charges while you use them. So even if everyone in the party gets wiped in a single hit, you can just revive them and by the time your done you can unleash a group attack. (Overwhelm works well here) of course you could theoretically run out of items, and it doesn't work on certain end game dungeons. but for the game and hunts it just makes it boring as a punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

man nurse posted:

In what world are we living where Inquisition is considered a bad game

Its only bad if you start with a mageknight build and then try to go to another class. Gross.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Can you literally just change it back to normal for that fight? Like if so, that means there's nothing stopping you from doing a ton of content in easy mode and post game content and get over leveled and kill the final boss in normal mode?

Play on normal. If you are going for trophies, the amount of side stuff you will do with have you overleveled and stomping the main game in literally no time. This is a game where you have to really try to stay properly challenged.

I usually never tell someone to play on a difficulty, but drat, this game is easy if you like to explore the tiniest bit.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

What the gently caress did I just watch.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Beastie posted:

Is 1886 worth $5? I'd play it once.

That's all anybody has ever played it, Its a fine afternoon for that price.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

And trip reports for Res Evil 7? Im happy its a new direction, but I didn't care for Outlast, and Im worried it has that vib.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Does party mode save progress for both people? The downfall of souls coop was having to do areas multiple times for each player.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

YES! That's something I love. If you do it souls style and just summon a phantom then only the host gets credit, but if you do the "yokai realm with a companion" (everything has bad translations) then you both get full progress and rewards. Its great. You can also bring each other back to life if you die!

If you want to just play Nioh with a friend, that's definitely the way to go. You don't have to stop and re-summon each other ever; you stay in a party. Even if you fail the mission, you stay together, and start over as a party together right away. No soapstones!

The change is since that makes things so much easier, you have to do the level in a single go. No saving at shrines/bonfires. But shrines do give you bonuses, and refill your party meter. (see the Nioh thread for more details https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773772)

I had no idea, this literally just sold the game for me.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lakbay posted:

Warning: if you die too much in the true co-op mode (completely drain the party bar, bar is shared between players) it counts as a failure for both people and makes you restart the whole mission. So it's not an easy mode

How long is a "mission" equivalent to a Dark Soul Boss to Boss?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

HGH posted:

Think of it as... the entirety of Darkroot Garden and Basin, more or less?
Basically, not small. Someone who knows what they're doing can easily bumrush the boss location though, and there are 4 or so "bonfires" in the area, so around that big.

This makes me less excited, that's a long rear end session to commit to. Im sure there will be plenty of regular Souls summoning people to help me if I need it. Really glad about multiple options though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

With how customizable the rest of the experience is, it doesnt seem like involuntary invasions really fit in.

Dark Souls you lose community hints or lifebar by not opening yourself to danger.

In DS2 people were encouraged to think of human form health as having bonus health. If Nioh drops PvP invasions in later with a bonus for becoming vulnerable I imagine it would go off better presentation wise then DS2s health shrinking mechanic.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Its really not that long. I think he's kinda overstating it. Its more like just Garden up to Sif, although I guess Basin was really short anyways.

The level in the last beta was basically like Garden. The last beta was basically No Man's Warf and Forest of Fallen Giants, slightly smaller than FoFG even.

Its a good long run but its not insanely long or anything, since you don't really have to stop or back-track. Its a fast shot through where you're both killing and rezzing each other so you never stop. And if you do fail, you just start right over at the beginning :)

Plus if you fail, you keep all the loot you got, plus you keep 25% of the XP you earned. You don't lose everything in that mode when you wipe, but there's no bloodstains.

Cool. Am I understanding that you get infinite tries to get to your bloodstain. But once you get it you can lose it again immediately?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

The trick is don't care about your backlog and only buy games once they reach 50% off or more.

Unless it's a game with multiplayer and/or you're gonna jump into it right now.

I still have the Witcher 3 and mgsv on my backlog but I paid less than half price for them. And I bought re7 but I'm very supportive of that series and I already played it for a hour yesterday in VR. And it'll be a decent game I can put half a hour in every night for a while and I'll eventually finish it. Then I got gravity rush 2 digital code discounted from a goon and that'll be my daily play.

In summary who the gently caress cares, play whatever you feel like and have fun. K know there's several of us that bought more than 5 games thanks to holiday sales and we're still playing Bf1 and tf2 the most.

Honestly I think of it as getting more choices not creating a bigger backlog.

Your system is objectively dumb and bad because you haven't played Witcher 3 yet. Glad you jumped in cheap to NOT play GOTY 2016 (Blood and Wine). Money well spent?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Butt Discussin posted:

I just got Witcher 3 a few weeks ago when it plus both expansions went on sale for $25, and it's my favorite RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. I'm trying to spread it out playing only a couple hours here and there because I know that once I'm done with it I'll probably have to wait another 17 years for a game I like as much. It's odd because I didn't like Witcher 1 and 2 much at all, didn't even bother finishing them.

Witcher 2 feels like a tech demo for Wither 3 at this point. And 1 was just old school PC. Blood and Wine is the best video game, do everything else before that because it makes the main game hard to go back to.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nioh offering 1080p/60 makes me actually want a pro for the first time. If every game hits 1080p/60 Ill eventually upgrade. Worth noting the PS4 regular running 720p/60 is pretty pathetic.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

BlindNinja posted:

I just picked up FFXV. I remember reading about a couple movie things. Worth watching those before, or at all?

If you want to know whats going on watch Kingsglaive. For more Boyband watch he amine.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Lakbay posted:

RE7 is definitely just a rental at this point

Mankind Divided before it, I expect it to be dirt cheap used in 2 weeks. MD dropped to like $15 really quick.

This is such an amazing time for games releases that games without replayability are being comfortably discarded.

Res Evil 7
Nioh
Mass Effect
Horizon Zero Dawn
Neir
(also Breath of the Wild but that's neither here nor there)

All in the next 2 months. And holy poo poo, only RE7 out of that list is a short game. Its a bonified Golden Age Gentlegoons.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Housh posted:

For Honor? More like Four Hours to download your beta, Ubisoft. Pfft.

Hey that's today! I know nothing about it but the CG trailer that told me nothing, we will see if its any good.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Policenaut posted:

It took me about 50 minutes to download that beta the other day. It's pretty fun! I spent 40 minutes dueling this one dude over and over, just poking around and feeling out the game mechanics and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, the matchmaking for Domination (4v4 control point mode) is broken right now so I started up Yakuza 0.

On a scale from Mash A to Dark Souls, hows the combat?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm reading something that says people in the for honor beta should have invites for 3 friends? If you guys wouldn't mind looking into that...

Yeah Nioh is way better but I'll play both of em.

If that's true and its easy, ill post codes in a few hours. I didnt see an option in the email.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Policenaut posted:

What's your Ubisoft Club name? I could try and figure out how this Friend Invite thing goes.

If you figure it out post it. I'm not gonna struggle to figure it out. But I will give out codes if somebody does.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Don't see option for codes. Sorry.

drat for honor is actually good.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

For honor is good. I can tell its deep enough that anybody who wants to scratch the dark souls PvP itch is probably better served here.

I don't care for mobas but the main mode seems to be very along those lines. The 2 vs 2 seems to 99% who gets the first kill because 2 vs 1 is just impossible unless they are low health.

I like pve more then PvP so I think Nioh is where I will be spending my time. But this is very good for PvP.

Mostly I guess I'm surprised its not lovely. I don't know if I want to grind to get new characters. Cause all the missions for money are to play the game mode that doesnt loving work. Ill check back tomorrow and see if I can.

If you were interested in this game at all its worth a serious look.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For Honor will have a single player campaign I think

Its got the option to just play bots in every mode. So the campaign is probably a curated bot experience.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 27, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Genocyber posted:

It would be neat if it had an actual proper story campaign that set you up against increasingly difficult AI in the various game modes to the backdrop of a story. That way it would be its own standalone thing that also introduces you to the game's gameplay in a focused but more organic fashion. I'd be surprised if they bothered to put in that effort though.

From what I played so far. The AI is WAY harder then players. Everybodies probably getting their legs. But the AI murders me and I hold my own PvP.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have killed like, one enemy so far in straight-up fighting. Every other kill has been backstabbing someone who's already locked onto someone else

You can BACKSTAB

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The go on who said for honor 2 is gonna be great had it right.

This feels like a tech demo proof of concept. Rather then a game 2 weeks out.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Feenix posted:

Man, I do not loving understand For Honor.

I get that I'm supposed to block where the indicator says. Ok, no problem. So I do that a bit and then a viking does his throw move where he runs me back on his shoulder and throws me on the ground and then it's game over. I just don't understand. Either they don't explain poo poo on how to play, or their game is just a "pick the one beast character, hope for best..."

It's frustrating because at it's core this could be something good. Instead it just makes me mad to have some fuckstick beat up on me helplessly.

The bash and throw, Viking its the rush. its what you use to guard break someone who is just guarding. So that's the effective counter to you blocking.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Can't decide what I think of For Honor. The peer to peer connection is terrible, the fights are mostly emotionless, but every once in a while I have an awesome one with someone who knows how to play.

Mostly still a disappointment I guess.

Couple of us decided For Honor 2 is gonna be amazing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Every time I see Horizon I get less excited for it. Then I saw the gameplay with a ubitsoft iconsalad map and im just...unless it has great reviews Im going to skip. I feel like it was a more direct experience until it got popular from awesome trailers and got AAAified.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nah it was always like this.

It was probably the cinematic nature of the original reveal and hudless running around I saw. When they added markers everywhere it went from something I HAD to experience the awe and wonder of to something I guess I'll checkout if the gameplay is something special.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Why did For Honor beta download 8 gig patch after the beta has ended? Also the game is fun but it's combat system needs some work. Rewards too much passive play after you get stuff like parries and counter guard breaks down.

The 1 on 1 duels were fine, with depth and what seems like the ability to learn new strategies.

The game modes make to sense. 2 on 2 is determined by who gets the first kill because 2 on 1 is near impossible. And the Moba mode which I couldn't get working until I got bored seems worse. It will be 100% about who coordinates where to go better because outnumbering the opponent is almost an autowin.. I have no interest in that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

fit em all up in there posted:

I'm finishing up RE 4, is 5 or 6 worth looking into ?

Yes, play coop. play coop.

They aren't as good Resident Evil games, but become good tension horror shooters. I think they get a lot more poo poo then then should especially if you can get them cheap. in 6 ABD always be divin.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^5

Beastie posted:

5 and 6 are fun as poo poo. Pretend they are anime.

They are Anime.

For me 6 started With the President being a zombie at me. If you don't see that and put yourself in the mood conducive to THAT over the topness being the opener? Just roll with it. I felt immediately upon playing that this should have been a spinoff and that this will all be retconned later. We shall see.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Are there are splitscreen shooters. My 6 year old has been playing the Star Wars Battlefront missions with me and loves it, but I cant play the same 6 maps anymore. Please help.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

there are plenty of kid friendly couch coop games (lovers in a dangerous space time, rayman, the lego games, etc) but that guy specified shooters so :shrug:

Yeah looking for shooters, I have all the lego games I can handle, and we tiricky towers a good deal. But she loves shooting them stormtroopers. Garden Warfare is something I forgot existed, pretty sure I have that from ps+ at some point.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Mista JC Denton... in da fresh!

"Daddy, why can the super soldier not hit the bad guy right in front of him with basic weapons"

"Well we haven't used his nanobots to give him basic coordination with things he canonically is familiar with, now lets stop the terrorists 50 feet from our secret base"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Healbot posted:

Why are they re-releasing this game that came out on PS3 in 2014 for $60?

Have you just...not looked at any games released this generation or what?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I got stuck in a spot and in last Guardian and had to look it up, I was doing the right think, but Trico wouldn't listen and after 10 minutes I got pissed and FAQed to see if Trico just sucked or if I was not supposed to go to this obvious ledge.

That game is legit the hardest thing to look up a faq for. Google Last guardian stuck castle bridge trico doesn't listen. I eventually found a picture walkthrough and more or less just scrolled from the start until I found the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

You can claim anything you want, even if you don't have the system. I've claimed a few PS3 games and I still don't have a PS3. One day...

Gamestop was just (might still) selling all their ps3s for like $40, probably the time to get one before its only ebay as an option.