Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
ground floor posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
So a friend of mine has an old PS4 with P.T. on it, and I was looking to copy it onto his current PS4 (he picked up a PS4 Pro and gave his old launch model to another friend of ours) since he didn't copy it over when he first got the PS4, since he didn't plan on playing through it any time soon. Now we're looking to get it copied over so both of us can have it on the PS4 and the PS4 Pro, the problem being that the PS4 Pro has been in use for a bit. It's my current understanding that the only methods of transferring poo poo from one PS4 to another are through system transfers, where the "old PS4" is used to initialize (and format) the "new PS4", or using an external hard drive.

My issue with the former is I don't want to format the PS4 and have to redownload everything on it (saves aren't an issue since they can just be backed up with PS+) and my issue with the latter is I want to copy it and have it available on the old PS4 and the PS4 Pro, instead of just one at a time (which is the way that it's worded on the Support Page for External Hard Drives, that it isn't copying anything, just moving it from the PS4 to the external hard drive). Are there any other ways to go about what I want to do or is my best option the System Transfer and then re-downloading of everything?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

acksplode posted:

You can transfer installed games as part of a system transfer, you don't need to redownload them. And doing a system transfer leaves the original PS4 intact, so all your stuff including PT will be there as well.

Lost my copy of PT in a disk failure last month. Rip

i'm aware of old console being fine, its all of the poo poo currently downloaded on the PS4 Pro that I don't want to erase and have to redownload that I'm cautious about. The PS4 Pro (the new ps4 that we would be transferring PT to) has been in use for about a year and a half and having to download the ~800GB worth of poo poo on there a second time would suck, which I want to avoid (data caps are fortunately not an issue, just time)