Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

How did XV end up for someone who unironically believes that FFX-2 was the pinnacle of the series in both storytelling and gameplay?

You'll likely enjoy the galavanting around with the boy band aspects of it and the free form exploratory nature, as well as the active combat. The story is not the high point, but I found the rest of the game to be terribly fun, enough to sink in about 150 hours doing absolutely everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

In what world are we living where Inquisition is considered a bad game

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Alright this boost mode feature has pushed me over the edge and I'm planning on upgrading to a Pro today. Until Dawn and Bloodborne with more consistent framerates sounds tasty.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

its not out yet unless you are in preview

That's fine, I can resume playing The Last Guardian at not 10 fps in the meantime.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

In order, I would say:

-Uncharted 4
-MGS V
-Dark Souls 3
-World of FF
-Ratchet

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

loudog999 posted:

So should I buy a Pro now that boost is out or not? I am in the beta. I went to a couple of places to get one today but they were sold out, don't know if I should try again tomorrow or not.

Personally, boost mode pushed me to get a Pro. I'm not in the beta or anything, but I have some games I'd love to increase the framerate of, like Until Dawn and Bloodborne. Also playing Last Guardian with a smooth framerate is a major upgrade. I'd basically base your decision off of how important framerate and minor visual upgrades are to you, and of course whether or not you have a 4K or HDR tv (I have neither). Gamestop is taking an extra $50 on PS4 trade ins right now, so I got mine down to a respectable price.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

drat a song by Amon Tobin came on one of my play lists today and it reminded me of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, which is one of my favourite games ever and developed by UBISOFT(?!). What the hell happened to those guys? I remember double agent being a buggy mess and then conviction (?) had the cool co op. Where's the current gen splinter cell at? Some of the stealth parts of Phantom Pain and Hitman had me craving a new release.

Check out Blacklist.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

No Michael Ironside 😳
I'm assuming blacklist is PS3 only?

Yeah, but it's actually really good. Think the good parts of conviction mixed with chaos theory. Give it a try sometime, I'll bet it'll scratch that itch nice.

man nurse fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 13, 2017

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Goddamn, Uncharted 4 looks intensely awesome on the Pro. The Last Guardian running at a playable framerate is also a plus. I really hope they keep boost mode for the actual release of the next firmware.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The Last Guardian is already Pro enhanced and will ignore boost mode.

I'm aware of that, and I know it won't raise the existing framerate cap of older games, either. But games like Until Dawn could desperately use a hand in maintaining their target framerate.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It does help with Until Dawn but still could do better.

https://youtu.be/BLFatxFg0nM?t=598

Oh :(

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean if you're gonna buy a PS4 at this point, it might as well be a Pro. Why wouldn't you want the best possible performance/graphics out of a console you're dumping a few hundreds into?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

ketchup vs catsup posted:

is there a special deal for that? I would like to turn in my poor for credit on a not poor

afaik they're offering an extra $50 in credit for an old PS4 right now.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

But do I really need a pro? What if I don't have a 4k TV?

Well sure, if you don't have a 4K TV (I don't have one either) the improvements are probably negligible to a lot of people. But they're there. All I'm saying is if you don't already have a PS4, why not just buy the Pro if you're already gonna plunk down the money for a standard?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean honestly the combat is just kind of janky in the Yakuza games and relies on the wow factor of heat moves to carry you through. You're there for the incredible amount of content to discover and enjoy, as well as the fantastically produced story. The combat is functional once you learn your way around, but far from gripping.

If you're having trouble with groups, switch into Beast mode and go ham. You'll mow down the numbers in no time. Then use Brawler to finish off individual enemies. Similarly, Majima's Slugger style is great for crowd control and thinning out numbers.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Please stop equating Yakuza to Grand Theft Auto. That is a gross misrepresentation.

Also please play Yakuza.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Uncharted Ludonarrative Dissonance Conversation

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAoCOXBE0yY

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The wifi on my PS4 Pro is literally unusable. It can just barely manage to sign in to PSN, nevermind loading feeds or my friend list.

I've tried everything. Reserved IP, port forwarding, changing the security type and channel on my router, loving everything. No other device I use has problems with my wifi, but the PS4 just won't work with it. What is going on?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Jose Oquendo posted:

The PS4 wifi is poo poo. It's much much better on the Slim and Pro.

I am using a Pro though :(

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

On that note, friendly reminder that Yakuza Kiwami is out this month for only $30! Perfect jumping in point for the series as a remake of the original game if you skipped on Zero.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Shenmue staying true to it's roots by looking like a dreamcast game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxbfvlgJ7eE

It's going to kick rear end.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Policenaut posted:

Shenmue 1&2 also leaked from Alza, but no fancy box art or anything of that nature.

This is incredibly hype.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I built a stupidly expensive rig a few years back and while it still runs current releases pretty well, some of the hardware is showing signs of crapping out and surprise, I don't currently have the money to replace any of the parts. I've gone back to buying games for my PS4 Pro as a result. I must say it's actually pretty nice not having to fret over tweaking graphics settings constantly and worrying about crashes or port quality. There's something to be said about the ease and peace of mind of "stick this disc into a thing and it works".

I guess what I'm saying is you can play video games in whichever way makes you happy. It's all good.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Arist posted:

Also 3's pacing is loving dire, there's incredibly long segments with little to no combat that drag on replays.

I feel this way about 4 more than any of the other games.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Alright, gently caress, I finally broke and plunked $20 down on HZD after seeing all the endless gushing over it. Hope it's as good as all that.

Real hurthling! posted:

You get the new skill tree even without the dlc i thought. Like it was a general game update

Can anyone confirm this?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hey, so, I bought Uncharted Lost Legacy and it downloaded the data needed to start but it won't download the rest of it even if I pause and resume the download. Like it thinks it downloaded everything it needed to then stopped or something. Do I need to just delete it and redownload it and hope it does the whole thing this time?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

How come whenever I start Uncharted LL it just shows me three characters faces on loop forever and never actually goes to the title screen? How do I play this game?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Renoistic posted:

The new Life is Strange has a 30% discount. Hella yeah or gently caress no?

So far the plot is going nowhere and there's only one Ep left, but it's by no means insulting to the original game or anything. It's solid if you want more "choose a feel".

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Well I bought Horizon Zero Dawn and I'm not seeing why it's getting all the goon love. It seems very average so far, but I've seen many call this their GOTY and all that. Am I missing something? Does it just get better as it goes?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Final Fantasy XV... is good.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

I'm still debating whether I want to trade in my PS4 slim for a Pro

Financially the answer is obviously "lol" but my lizard brain wants it now that my TV can hack it

do it buddy push those pixels

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think Heavy Rain is a pretty cool experience if you're not expecting some amazing tour de force like it was being hyped as. It's a decent adventure game. And yeah, it has the David Cage-isms like short haired girls in their underwear and being able to pee in toilets and stuff and the weird accents in the voice acting. I dunno. I enjoyed it. I think it's worth playing.

Something I'm not enjoying, however, is Horizon Zero Dawn. I feel like I got roped into the goon hype and I'm very dissapointed with it. I feel like your traversal options suck, the combat feels clunky, there's no sense of discovery, visual glitches pop up everywhere, and I'm tired of looting crafting items off the ground every five steps. What do people see in this game that makes it so great?

I realize I just praised a David Cage game and disparaged a well loved game in the same post, but.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

No it's the king getting murdered

There's not supposed to be any sound. It's a cutscene that they patched into the game taken from the hit movie FINAL FANTASY XV: KINGSGLAIVE

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Just be warned that Uncharted 1 hasn't aged that well and is fairly unremarkable compared to the rest of the series.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm going to wait for the PC version before I replay FF XV, I really wanna see that game flex its muscles on some good hardware. Plus it'll have all these updates and DLC baked in, none of which I've played so far.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

christ, i keep wanting to start that game and they keep giving me reasons to play everything else first

Just play it. It's good, and it'll take you at least that long to do all the poo poo in the base game anyway.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I didn't realize that the Until Dawn people released another game. Is Hidden Agenda any good?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I don't understand why they're releasing emulated PS2 versions of the Jak games when they've already been properly remastered last gen. Why not just bring that version over?

Same with Code Veronica, they spruced it up for the current consoles last gen, but now all we get is some upscaled PS2 emulation? Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I upgraded to a Pro simply so I could have the peace of mind of knowing I was playing the best version possible of any given game. Well, exclusives anyway, I tend to buy most cross platform stuff on PC. I can't say it was necessarily worth the upgrade, in fact it seems woefully underpowered for what it's marketed as. Not playing 4K Blu Ray is also weird as gently caress for a machine billed as a 4K ready device.

Playing Last Guardian at more than 10 fps was nice I guess.

I mean it seems like a no brainer if you don't have a PS4 at all, why wouldn't you want "the best one" if you're gonna spend the scratch on one anyway?