Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I don't know about grip extenders, but as a fellow big hand haver I've been using those KontrolFreek stick extenders plus a back button attachment. Those things combined make the DS4 bulky enough to be more comfortable.

My other rec would be a HORI FPS+ controller. It's bigger and laid out like an XBox pad. The downside is it's wired and has no rumble or motion sensor, and no back buttons either. They were only released in Japan, but I haven't had trouble getting one on Amazon. They used to run $40 but I think they're more expensive now.

This bad boy right here This is the red one. There's blue and black as well for a few bucks difference either way.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Last Celebration posted:

Man, that HORI controller looks great but I need something wireless (afaik) for my Deck. Still might pick one up though, that’d be great for replaying actual PS3/4 games. What are the back extensions you’re using? I already found those stick things, thanks for the recommendation.

It's the official Sony back button attachment. Just search for that and it will pop up. They were clearing them out for like $15 before the PS5 came out, but I think they're back up to $30 now. You plug it into the headphone jack of the DS4 and it adds back buttons / paddles to the controller. They're awesome, and it's hard to go back to a controller without them after you use them. I set them to L3 and R3 as default and it's so much better than clicking in the sticks.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Midjack posted:

I was kind of surprised they didn't build that into the PS5 controller.

One of the reasons I'm holding out on a PS5 is because I know I'll also want to get the stupid $200 controller with the back buttons on it. Hopefully 8bitdo / somebody comes out with a good 3rd party option, bonus if it has Hall Effect sticks, too.

In actual PS4 game talk, Infinite Wealth runs really well and doesn't make my Pro sound like a jet engine. A rarity these days.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

YggiDee posted:

Can I use a PS5 controller with a PS4?

Nope. Supposedly they'll work with a Brook adapter, but a PS4 won't recognize a Dualsense by default.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I went back and got the platinum trophy for Anthem two years ago. For 3 bucks it might be worth it just to visit an empty husk of a world? The flying and shooting are fun, but the actual missions are terrible. Most of them just have you slowly follow a radar, scan something, go to the next spot, scan, etc with a wave of enemies every now and then. Or picking up pieces of something and bringing it back to a central unit. You'll do that A LOT. Walking around the base in first person is also tedious.

The best parts of the game are free flying around the different zones and the Stronghold assaults. Stronghold missions might require co-op, can't remember, but good luck matchmaking with anybody if they do.

The first half of Prey was really cool. When it's just you in a seemingly abandoned space station with freaky bug things that could be any object in the room. Kinda goes down hill imo after it starts becoming something "bigger" than that, to keep it non-spoilery. Mooncrash is cool though, if it's the edition that comes with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I've seen the Terios Wireless Controller recommended on a few sites as s good, cheap option, but I've never tried one. It's like $22. Might be worth a shot at that price.

If you don't mind wired, the NACON compact controllers aren't bad. A little small, like the name says, but for a 6 year old that might be okay. Usually run about $40 on Amazon. I've had one that's lasted about 2 years, though I don't use that much compared to my other controllers.

The one I love, but can only recommend with huge caveats, is the HORI FPS+ Also about $40-$50 on Amazon. It's big, comfy, and uses the XBox sticks layout. The huge caveats are: It's also wired, there's no rumble, and the triggers are just buttons like L1 and R1. Supposedly that's better for shooting, but stuff like racing games are almost unplayable with it. No motion controls either.

Repair kits with stick replacements are like $15 if you ever want to give that a try again. Out of 4 DS4s I have a 50% fix rate with them. The ones that didn't work as well just need some tweaking but I got lazy.