Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Grouchio posted:

So how good is Dragon Age Inquisition compared to Witcher 3, which I have on my laptop?

I played both fairly close together and came away thinking that Witcher 3 pretty much did everything Dragon Age Inquisition was trying to do a whole lot better. Bioware wanted to make their typical RPG fare while also cashing in on the open world craze but couldn't execute it very well. The result is a bad Bioware RPG and a terrible open world game that's a slog to play. Honestly The Witcher 3 isn't all that fun to play either but it has some decent storytelling particularly in the early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

XV is pretty easy on normal mode anyway. You're almost guaranteed to out level the story content and you can exploit the level up system to really get insanely overpowered if you want to.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

How much side stuff have you done? Watch Dogs 2 is going to be the first in my New Open World Paradigm where I only do story missions and side quests that seem unique

That's actually most of the game. For once Ubisoft opted to make actual side missions instead of just side activities, so most everything has unique character interactions. There are some races and online co-op missions you can ignore and the usual assortment of collectables but there's not a lot of pointless activities like the first game had.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 (that is, Dream Drop Distance HD plus a few extras) just came out in Japan. If I completely lost grasp of the story around the middle of 2 to the point where it was just a constant stream of nonsense threatening to overcome my brain and never bought any of the games after that, would this one help or hurt that situation?
Dream Drop Distance is pretty backloaded as far as meaningful story content goes apart from some short cutscenes involving Axel that pop up every so often, but when it hits there are a fair amount of plot points related to Birth By Sleep. The new .2 content is completely reliant on knowledge of BBS. You can probably find some cutscenes compilations on YouTube to catch up.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

I finally cleared my Christmas backlog so I get to try some more niche stuff, read I'm now clearing my PS Plus backlog starting with the Path of Destinies fox thing. Actually quite enjoy it, the gameplay seems like it might get a bit shallow in the long term but the gimmick is pretty good and you can knock out a story variation in a brief session. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong though, because a review I read had the reviewer mention how he'd played for 3-4 hours and finally unlocked the first truth, and I've so far played two variations and unlocked one each time.
You're not doing anything wrong but that reviewer must have been. It's been awhile since I've played but I could swear that every path could unlock a truth but there are multiple paths that can potentially unlock each. I'm pretty sure I unlocked the first three right away and then it took me a few tries to find a path that would get me the fourth.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

With Watch Dogs 2, I feel like I would have loved just a linear game with story missions that they could tightly design since they were linear. The open world added nothing to it.
Maybe if all you care about is rushing through the story missions, but I'd say the open world adds more to it than most other games of this type. Getting the collectables was fun and keeping the players distracted with a map full of stuff enables the seamless multiplayer. You need a nice detailed world for the hide-and-seek style invasion mode.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I said come in! posted:

That's what i've heard, which I know turns a lot of people off the series. Seems to be something that you'll either loathe or just be able to tolerate.

I find the LBP physics enjoyable when the level design takes advantage of them like the main campaign does. When you drop into a user level and they're trying to make something that would be more along the lines of the what you'd see in Mario it really stands out. It's really hard to make a good LBP level from a gameplay perspective so most of the best user levels are more cool from a technical perspective in my experience. You can do a lot more with LBP than you could with something like Mario Maker, but the basic mechanics of Mario are so solid that it's easier to make an actual fun level with it if you put in a minimal effort.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

There are some mods available for Fallout 4 that remove some of the extraneous poo poo that affects performance. Seemed to work pretty well with what little I tested it. Far Harbor in particular seemed pretty well improved.

I'm one of the few people around here that will actually defend Bethesda games, but it's hard to argue that they're not kind of poo poo from a technical perspective. They even hosed up the drat pro patch. Boosted mode could have gotten the game running smooth, but instead they give us loving nonsense like improved god rays.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

Welp guess I'm preordering Horizon now.
I had it preordered but wound up canceling it. I'm glad it's reviewing well and I still hope to play it someday but there are just too many games being released now. It's been an absolute flood since fall and I've still got 3 games from last year to play plus massive games like Zelda and Nioh on the way. Something had to give.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Endorph posted:

here's what you need to know about the fate franchise:

<--- thomas edison
The two anime series that are available on Netflix are my only exposure to Fate. Good to know the franchise went off the rails at some point.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I can't claim I give a poo poo about LotR or the story and characters in the first Mordor, but the open world game play was some of the best I've experienced. I'm in for the sequel.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Montalvo posted:

I'm only just getting around to playing Fallout 4 on the PS4. Are there any 'must have' mods I should download?

I forget the names but there are a handful of mods that improve the frame rate by getting rid of some miscellaneous objects and God rays and such. Seemed to work pretty well especially in the Far Harbor DLC.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

shut up blegum posted:

Hitman season 1 is 50% off. Is it worth it? I liked the last Hitman game, don't remember the name of it at the moment. But I haven't heard much about this game, or the different episodes.

It's great. I didn't have much of an opinion on Hitman as a series but the new one turned out to be the game I sunk the most time into last year. I don't regret spending full price at all so 50% off is a steal.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Obsurveyor posted:

The listing is still strange. Why they're pushing an out of stock copy as the one to order when you can go into Used & New and pick Amazon and supposedly get it now, but without discount, is weird. Maybe they're actually out of stock and the system just displays funny so it never implies that 3rd parties are going to give you 20% off.
The discount price won't show up until you go to checkout. The whole third party thing is weird. Since that third party listing is cheaper than Amazon's listing it gets priority, but the hidden prime discount would get you a better value.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Snak posted:

Man, I thought Nier: Automata came out less than 2 weeks ago and I would be able to get a discounted price on Amazon. But it seems I cannot.
Check again. It is showing the discount for me. Make sure it is not defaulting to a third part. If it is you need to click on the view other sellers link and find the actual Amazon listing. If you choose it from that list the discount won't show up until you checkout.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Renoistic posted:

Gravity Rush 2 is half off. But this year I've bough Hitman, Mirror's Edge 2, Bloodborne and the new Nier, without finishing any of them. I've just too many games! I just pre-ordered Full Throttle too!

I'll probably buy it but won't get that hideous Phantasy Star outfit.

Gravity Rush 2 was on my radar but I think it's taking to be a casualty of the great game flood of 2017. Even a sale can't get me to bite when I have 10 other games prioritized ahead of it plus whatever is coming out in the second half of the year.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Is Far Cry Primal fun? I saw it on the flash sale and I'm thinking about it, but I dunno how much fun it'll be compared to #4.
It's fun enough if you like Far Cry but it's clearly a bit of a cash in compared to 3 and 4. The melee combat isn't great but sniping with the bow and using an eagle to drop bee bombs on people is enjoyable.

I gotta figure Far Cry 5 will show up at E3. Ubi never lets things rest for too long.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 25, 2017

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Switch has some flaws that wouldn't exist if it was made by any company other than Nintendo, but I'm rooting for it to succeed so that it finally sounds the death knell for the dedicated handheld. Bring those 80 hour JRPG's back to the TV screen please.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Is Prey pretty much a straight shooter or can you sneak around and avoid conflict like in Dishonored?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I just started NieR:A today. That self-destruct toggle in the options menu is a major source of anxiety for me now. I don't know what I should put it at and I'm sure there's some bug gently caress you tied to it.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Turtlicious posted:

If you want to know, it's not plot/ending important, but tied to an achievement.
If the toggle is on, when you press L3 and R3 it explodes her clothes.
Haha, thanks for putting my mind at ease.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

BisterdDave posted:

Skyrim on PS4, is it pretty much the exact same experience as the PS3 version, but better looking? What I mean is does it still have the same jankiness, graphical hick-ups, and framerate drops?
The framerate was at least mostly steady at 30fps when I played it at least. Nothing at all like the wild swings in the PS3 version. I'm not sure what sort of graphical hiccups you're referring to but the Bethesda jank is never going away.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

BisterdDave posted:

I meant like pop-ins and the occasional freezing here and there. I'm replaying on the PS3 right now and would love to play it again without these minor annoyances.
The draw distance is better although I don't think an open-world game exists that doesn't have some amount of pop-in. I can't remember if the game ever hard froze on me or not but it doesn't have those little freezes whenever the game auto-saves that the PS3 version had.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

glam rock hamhock posted:

just make sure to save first if you want to self destruct in the bunker

So I saved twice and then did this and now one save slot is marked with 'Ending U' but it looks like I can continue. Should I be using this save or should I go back to the one that has no ending marked? I'm guessing I want to do the former for a see all endings trophy?

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 7, 2017

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I always found Persona 3 and 4 to be slightly harder than average compared to similar RPG's. Not super hard, but they were more dependent on using buffs/debuffs and exploiting weaknesses. Most of the JRPG's I grew up with would pretty much let you muddle through with attacks and heals.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Do I need to be tackling side quests in Nier:A as they become available? With all the talk I'm seeing about multiple endings I'm worried they must be somewhat time sensitive but I'm kind of getting burned out on ping-ponging between the same areas over and over with no fast travel option to reduce the tedium. Every time I get sent to the desert I die a little inside. I'd like to break it up by doing the main quest but I don't want to be locked out of content.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Thanks, all. Sounds like I'm advancing the story for now.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I guess I'm about ready for some more Farcry. Primal was a bit of a letdown since they compromised a bit too much of the gameplay to serve the setting. Montana is kind of an outside the box location for a numbered entry but it sounds interesting.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

My favorite part about Primal was trying to clear outposts with only the bird but otherwise it was fairly dull. The game really didn't have enough ideas to merit being a full length title rather than a Blood Dragon style 10 hour game.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I am so excited to kill midwestern White Supremacists as a black cop.
I'm excited for FarCry 5 but I'm especially excited to see idiots flip their poo poo over this.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I hope Ubisoft goes easy on the drug trip segments that they seem to feel needs to be in every FarCry game. Thee were awful in 4.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: also Bethesda giving paid mods another try. What do they think is going to happen?
It sounded like there would be some level of curation with those so it may be the only way PS4 players can actually get mods that add new assets. If that restriction is still there then lol.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think Horizon must have one of the highest platinum rates ever. I took a look at the trophies because of this conversation and 37% of players have the plat
I assume you're looking at PSNProfiles.com. That's only the percentage of people who use that site which is always going to be heavily skewed since only people who care about trophies are going to bother using it. The actual platinum rate is 8.2% which is still pretty high.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Here's an article on how Sony has turned it's back on Indie devs after leaning on them for the PS4 launch:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/24/sony-xbox-devolver-indie-games-ps4-publishing-e3/

And here's one where the head of the Rocket Leauge studio says Sony holding out on cross platform play is dumb:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/24/rocket-league-cross-network-play-ps4-xbox-one-interview/

Enjoy!!
I was sad when Adam Boyes left the company because I figured this sort of thing might happen. He seemed to contribute a lot to those early days of the PS4 when it really felt like Sony was working "for the players."

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Has anyone ever played Chronicles of Teddy? It's three bucks and looked okay as far as your indie pixel games go.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

MZ posted:

MGSV has some of the best mechanics ever but the game should have been half as long, it has far too much filler missions and does get pretty repetitive.
I didn't mind the filler missions so much when I was actually doing them but the game would only have maybe three available in an area at one time and they would always be about as far from each other as possible. The terrible fast travel in MGSV was more of an annoyance than a convenience so any effort to mop up side missions always involved way more traversal than it should have.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Not a bad month. JC3 was on my radar back when it came out but with the reported performance issues I stayed away. I heard boost mode makes a pretty significant difference though.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

HAT FETISH posted:

The only AC game I ever played was the Brotherhood multiplayer (and I played that a lot), is that Freedom Cry game worth a look? I know it's one of the short ones and I'm kinda interested in the Caribbean setting.
AC4 is easily my favorite of the series and this gives a nice taste of it if you don't want to invest 40 hours in the main game. I remember it being pretty good apart from one tailing mission that took me forever to clear.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

still never finished it after getting annoyed at the level with the clockwork robots tho
I got pretty annoyed at that one as well. The gimmicks were neat in theory but the whole thing was kind of a slog. The levels after it are better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Read After Burning posted:

How is Far Cry Primal if I haven't played 3 or 4?

I'm interested in FC5 for the setting and I heard FC4 is great, but I have too many games on my plate right now to justify buying another full-length one...the sale on Primal had me considering picking that one up.
Primal is kind of half-baked compared to 3 or 4 and left me disappointed. The setting is kind of cool at first but it ends up hindering the gameplay by removing a lot of what makes the other games fun. By losing the guns you're left with melee combat that has less going for it than Skyrim. Definitely grab 4 if you can find a deal on it though.