Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I got a PS4 a couple of months ago for dirt cheap. And it's become my 6-year-old's dedicated console. I popped on and every controller is garbage. Just dead spots in the thumbstick, drift, all the problems. I've worked on PS4 controllers in the past and was surprised at how crappy the build quality was compared to other first party controllers. But I hadn't had much experience with their use other than on my PC until I switched to 8bitdo.

Is there a third party controller that is decent build quality? She plays Roblox and custom fortnite games so it's not like it needs to be a pro controller or anything. But I'd like to have something functional for when I get the hankering to play Spider-Man on the couch instead of on my PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Paying2Lurk posted:

I've seen the Terios Wireless Controller recommended on a few sites as s good, cheap option, but I've never tried one. It's like $22. Might be worth a shot at that price.

If you don't mind wired, the NACON compact controllers aren't bad. A little small, like the name says, but for a 6 year old that might be okay. Usually run about $40 on Amazon. I've had one that's lasted about 2 years, though I don't use that much compared to my other controllers.

The one I love, but can only recommend with huge caveats, is the HORI FPS+ Also about $40-$50 on Amazon. It's big, comfy, and uses the XBox sticks layout. The huge caveats are: It's also wired, there's no rumble, and the triggers are just buttons like L1 and R1. Supposedly that's better for shooting, but stuff like racing games are almost unplayable with it. No motion controls either.

Repair kits with stick replacements are like $15 if you ever want to give that a try again. Out of 4 DS4s I have a 50% fix rate with them. The ones that didn't work as well just need some tweaking but I got lazy.

I saw the hori recommended, but no headset jack is a killer(I don't let my 6yo play with strangers, by my Xbox is in the basement. Me, her, and my son sometimes die in fortnite together)

I ordered the Terios Wireless Controller. $6 extra for pink. Worth it. If it's bunk I'll get the nano. Wired is fine. the PS4 is on a lil cart with a lil TV and just gets moved wherever she wants to play it.

Thanks.