Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I played a bit of Gravity Rush 2 and it starts out really, really good and fun. Also while it still has harsh colors like its predecessor sometimes, the color use is more balanced between the sky and the landscape now.

Also it's just nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

mrbass21 posted:

I just played TLG, so I may be over emphasizing the performance, but it feels great. They released a big (3gig) patch a few weeks ago, and a lot of the inventory menus have changed (I assume not just in blood and wine) and it's definitely more responsive.

Loading times are still kind of long (1-2 minutes), but I'm having so much fun with the story, it's an easy price to pay. This is on an amateur PS4.
Wow, they improved the inventory interface yet again even that recently? I guess I should be amazed at how serious they are about supporting the game but I hope next time they save themselves a lot of work and make it good to begin with.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is this the one that's gonna add username changing?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KrayG posted:

"Hey these game developers did an amazing job and have supported their game massively since launch with updates updates and improvements for free but i'm a big baby so I'm going to sit in my pram throwing toys out into the open air and whining that not everything is perfect first time".
Did you miss the part where I said they would save themselves work? Also Jesus, Witcher 1 through 3 are among my favorite RPGs ever.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MZ posted:

I only started The Witcher 3 last month, at version 1.31, but it seems to play really well and I've had no issues with it. There are a monumental amount of patch notes between 1.00 and 1.31 so it looks to me that they've improved basically every aspect of the game. Kudos to CD Projekt Red for supporting it as much as they have.
Looking through them myself now that I'm home, 1.22 is the last version I played and 1.30 and 1.31 are mostly bugfixes, no big interface changes. I have over 200 hours in that game (including playing it through in both English and Japanese) so maybe I don't need to play it again.

edit: the editing (I hope it's editing) in this makes me want to hurt the world but here's the latest Musou Stars trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYnAE-Pv3Og

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 19, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Gravity Rush 2: loving Beautiful.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 19, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's interesting to compare with the first art-wise:

They toned down the crazy sky colors a bit but drastically increased the colors for the cityscape.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's out in PAL regions too :smuggo:. I can also confirm it is indeed loving gorgeous.

Also the new camera (the take-pictures kind) is a silly and stupid mechanic that is a weird thing to put in Gravity Rush 2. And I love the poo poo out of it :allears:.

Yes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow this thread went to poo poo between the time I posted about GR2 and woke up. I had no idea it would have such a disruptive influence with its bright colors and happiness.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

socialsecurity posted:

Fun but janky with fps drops.
I don't even notice them, it's so much less common than its predecessors.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Would EDF 4.1 be worth paying 20bux for?
Do you like shooting at things with hundreds of weird weapons without really thinking about anything very hard? If so it is a good game for you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Any word on the platinum headset? Especially the quality of the earmuffs?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I might go out and have a look at the platinum headset after work. If it has approximately the same fit as my old gold headset did but more durable I will be happy with it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
From what I am told the treatment of women is pretty realistic to real yakuza life. In fact it might even be beautified a bit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

It's especially stupid as hell and regressive for Yakuza 0 though because of the time period like they for real couldn't couldn't come up with a badass female character in a game about beating the poo poo out of people set during peak bosozoku and sukeban time? It's literally historically inaccurate for the sake of not wanting to bother putting effort into any of the female characters' writing I mean those gangs (mostly the male ones but still) were like the gateway step to "the yakuza notices you."

I dunno how far you got but there is a character almost exactly like that in 0. In the end she needs rescuing by Kiryu same as everyone else though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I got the platinum headset and well, it's wireless and sounds good, but for comfort or music its no match for the midrange Sennheiser wired ones I have been using for several months. Maybe my memory of my old Gold headset was too dim and I have just been spoiled now...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's called being a cult classic (much like all the movies it steals from) and is not a goon thing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Wired via controller or a mixamp or something?

Wired to the TV (I have no need for a mic). The controller's output max volume is really low to me when I want to space out and play a game with music I love.

Also the max volume of the Platinum headset is just barely high enough for me, even with the volume maxed out in every way I can think of including that annoying chat/game sound rocker on the headset itself, same as the Gold.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BisterdDave posted:

I finally grabbed Assault Android Cactus and yeah, gently caress Broforce for winning that PS+ vote. AAC is so drat good!
Yeah seriously. I'm meh on twinstick shooters except for that one.

However, if someone would just remake Zombies Ate my Neighbors all twinstick shooters would instantly be rendered obsolete.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Iron Rose posted:

well that's infuriating. I used an American credit card when I was setting up my PS4, and now can't use any Canadian credit card or paypal and still keep my PSN/games. Talk about annoying.

Shame too. I was gunna buy Journey and the Order.
Did you move from America to Canada or something? Anyway yeah, you need that country's currency to buy things on its PS store and I doubt that will ever change.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I hosed up getting the Platinum headset. Using it for several hours and then going back to my wired Sennheisers was night and day for comfort and sound quality, at least for music. The wireless, mic and virtual 3D are nice but it's no match for what matters to me the most. In the US I'd just head back and return it but Japan things don't work that way; I'll need to sell them to a recycle shop at some point.

Just another pair of headphones on a huge pile of headphones I should have not have bought over the last ten years or so.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I just really hate wires and like to walk to the bathroom with my headset on
Actually the range of the Platinum doesn't extend into my bathroom when I am pretty sure the Gold did, but that was a long time ago and maybe I am forgetting.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The online treasure hunt mode in Gravity Rush 2 really is incredible. One of the implications of how it works is that they made every building and every island distinctive enough from each other that you can locate the treasure. It's my favorite part of the game so far.

So like, in this picture:

The bottom of that island, which is one of about a hundred in this region alone, was unique enough for me to find the treasure just from looking at it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 21, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I liked it consistently from the very beginning. I am struggling to think of an open world game I have enjoyed more. I thought the first game was pretty good given its limitations as a Vita launch game port but this one is bonkers.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
At least you can just kick the poo poo out of any guards who see you at no penalty but yeah, there are some invisible walls where if you go beyond them you get auto-detected and have to start over. Pretty inappropriate for a game that is about free movement first and foremost.

I thought the period of obligatory sneaking parts in otherwise action games went away in the mid 2000s...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

thebardyspoon posted:

If I always wanted to play the Yakuza games but just never got around to it should I just play Yakuza 0 when it comes out in a few day? I played a little bit of 1 a few years back but got distracted by work and never went back, remember I was enjoying it well enough and was planning on playing them all at some point but this ones getting great reviews so I was thinking of getting it and just playing that then maybe the PS3 ones later in the year? Heard they had good "previously on" videos you could watch to get the backstory of the previous ones, since I doubt I'd want to play 1 or 2 if they're quite aged mechanically.
That's such a common question in this thread maybe it should go in the OP. Yes, they are always good about filling you in on the characters and stuff from previous games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

fadam posted:

Do you guys have any experience getting support with hosed up PSN cards? I bought four fifty dollar ones to get Nioh and Yakuza because the store is completely fuckered and wont let me buy stuff directly, and two of them had the code get completely obliterated when I was scratching the back. I'm in line for live chat right now.

EDIT: Never mind, the phone guy said it has to be escalated and it's going to take two business days to resolve. This whole system is loving retarded.
So there's some previous problem with buying stuff in general?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There's one class of flying enemy in GR2 that you will NOT be able to gravity kick unless you start it at near point blank range, could that be it?

edit: There's a powerup you get later that adds a teleport to the gravity kick that allows you to fight them normally.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

There's an actual treasure chest. The picture is to guide you to the area and the beeping speeds up as you near the chest. You gotta find it and open it.
If it's a bullshit picture that is interfering with you finding the treasure chest it's the person who took the picture's loss, since no one will ever find it and they won't get a reward.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Ah. I thought I was supposed to replicate the picture. I was standing on the treasure chest trying to take it lol.

It was the first one I tried and the person managed to not include the chest in the picture.
No, your goal is to take a picture that will be easy for other people to find the chest. And to have fun with costumes and poses and stuff because that's the standing rule for the whole game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

Is there any carryover for downloadable games between the PS3 and PS4? I've been thinking about buying the PS4 Pro, but I realize I still have Yakuza 5 and a handful of PSN games I haven't finished yet. I don't intend on selling my PS3, but I was curious if any of the downloadable titles would be accessible on the PS4. I know something like Yakuza 5 wouldn't work, but I thought maybe the PS1/PS2 Classics would be available, along with some of the PSN titles.
There is no software compatibility between the PS3 and PS4.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I got sent Yakuza 0 early for whatever reason. Fun game. I just kind of wish you could switch between styles easier mid-combo. I do like how you can basically level up by gambling though.
Switching styles mid combo is an ability you get later.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just realized that the only 3D (in a movement sense) fighter on the PS4 right now is DOA5. How did that happen? Are 3D fighters that out of fashion?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I figured people expected a short linear section at the beginning of an open world game. That's pretty standard, for better or worse.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

acksplode posted:

Is it worth playing Gravity Rush 1 before moving onto GR2? With the understanding that I have a backlog and a job and poo poo.
2 seems like everything 1 was and more so maybe you should start with that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there really that much to say about 1? Girl wakes up with no memories and super powers, has wacky adventures and saves the town from monsters. The game doesn't even make much progress on the memories or super powers mysteries, other than that there is some ancient god civilization because of course there is.

Edit: maybe there's more but I forgot because I'm not THAT into the intricacies of super powered girls fight monsters and save the city stories.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 25, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

I really enjoyed the first Gravity Rush but it's kind of crazy how abruptly it ends.
I figured it was part of the time pressure because it was a launch game for the Vita. It is still one of my favorite launch games for any console though (not that I played it on the Vita).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Let me put it this way: the things I like about Gravity Rush, and almost all open world games, have little to do with the overarching story. These games are mostly just a series of wacky moments to me. GR1 was pretty good at delivering those moments but 2 is even better.

Edit: incidentally Yakuza 0 is also excellent at this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Attitude Indicator posted:

GR2s fun and uniqueness comes from gravity shifting and hence it's way of traversal and fighting, so it makes perfect sense that they decided that every other side quest should be a forced stealth segment or trailing mission.
I just did the really complicated one with robot hacking and poo poo, and then it ends in a fight anyway so what was the point?

I like how most of them are something silly and nonviolent though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I'll get back around to FF15 after I'm done with Persona 5
That's pretty much my situation but P5 is so freaking long I can't believe it.