Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

new thread, new reminder to play the last guardian to completion because you have to be a real sour person with a burning hatred for ueda's beautiful japanese mind to not love the gently caress out of the game warts and all.

I respect your taste in games a lot and I want to play it but also my dog is pretty sick and probably won't make it to the summer and I don't want to play a game just now where I'm sure I'll get to see that poo poo play out and bawl my eyes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Guys I don't have a 4k TV should I just get a slim or spend the extra $100 to futureproof :ohdear:

The bottom line is: get a pro if you have a flexible entertainment budget, get a slim if your entertainment budget is tighter. I saw some slim bundles around the holidays that were totally decent and I would recommend them without reservation to friends who try to keep their video game spending at more reasonable level than I do. Two good games (usually UC4 and GTA5 or something) plus an extra controller with the console, all for 250 USD is a great deal for people gaming on a budget.

Speaking of UC4, I got back into the single player campaign today and I'm really enjoying it as I close in on the last chapters. The game mechanics are the best in series even if the story isn't as fun as UC2's. I love how Nate's doubt and guilt actually play into the game narrative as you hit more dead ends and slip more. Also the rope grapple really is just so neat.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 7, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Rastor posted:

The PS4 slim is a good purchase.
The PS4 Pro is also a good purchase. Especially if you have a 4K TV or want to get into PSVR.

Neither one of them is a waste of money.

Yeah this. I also totally understand people with smaller AV setups or who have kids and have to really get the best bang for their buck when it comes to their fun gifts going for a slim bundle instead because it means they can pick up a few more games and also have an extra controller to play games with their kid/partner/etc for less money. Saying that people on a budget shouldn't spend any money on games is stupid and kind of classist. Games are fun and all people should get to enjoy them. Giving people a more affordable option is a good thing, not a bad thing.

And yeah, I have a pro and it's nice so I don't personally regret my purchase. The UI is more responsive and games look and run better (with the huge terrible exception of WoFF). But I am a total DINC so whatever, I have money to burn.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

TaurusOxford posted:

Just got the fish at Galdin Quay - took me nearly 7 minutes to reel him in and only had about 200 durability left - satisfying as gently caress though.

The key is to not reel when the controller is vibrating.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
It looks good but I'm not down for spending $30 on it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
How I got my 65" into the back of my Civic while my wife and best friend were also in the car I could not tell you but it was Black Friday and the last of the good Sharp Aquos models and I was committed to bad decisions that day.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Miku seems fun but if the two demo songs are any indication I'm guessing the music is a real mixed bag. 1/6 is pretty decent and has a nice beat but Weekender Girl is really not good.

Also what's the deal with having 4 different ways to buy it. I have no idea what these things are :psyduck:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Super No Vacancy posted:

weekender girl is one of her best songs soooooo

there are two 100+ track packs or you can buy them both together, those are the only ways to buy it

Ah ok, I figured it was something like that but the pack names in the insane store are just named "colorful tone" and "future sound" but then there's also "unlock key" which sounds important.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Musical taste is obviously very subjective. Weekender Girl just has a generic jpop sound to me while the other weirdly named one has a bit more of a rock aesthetic to it and plays with the offbeats a lot, albeit with a very repetitive motif.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Samurai Sanders posted:

Kingdom Hearts 2.8 (that is, Dream Drop Distance HD plus a few extras) just came out in Japan. If I completely lost grasp of the story around the middle of 2 to the point where it was just a constant stream of nonsense threatening to overcome my brain and never bought any of the games after that, would this one help or hurt that situation?

Having no idea what is going on in the story is the natural state of playing Kingdom Hearts.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ineffiable posted:

Someone post that kingdom hearts Google Doc.

Basically its all hearts all the way down.

The doc has been deleted. You can find it on weird pay sites but it seems someone is deliberately trying to make it hard to find, maybe whoever wrote it. In any case, I found this while searching for it and it sums up things pretty nicely:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Do you think Sony just forgot who has access to their YouTube accounts

I think they don't give a poo poo because it's all automatic for them at this point. Develop submits game for certification, includes "preview video," video is posted to youtube and included on PSN.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The PS2 had Tekken Tag at launch. That game was solid fun for 3 years. So good.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Dreamcast had freaking Soul Calibur...but I guess the age of fighting games being system sellers is over?

Yeah. Smash is a system seller amongst Smash fans but all the other big franchises have become niche. I mean, Soul Caliber and Virtua Fighter are dead. It's sad really.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
These corn flakes are loving gold-leafed, it's just beyond extravagant and stupid really

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Akuma posted:

You're mischaracterising the grievance because you like the game so much. People don't think it's a bug, they just think it's annoying. And you go on to say it would be just as effective if it wasn't in the game!

He didn't say that at all

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Montalvo posted:

I have no desire to play Horizon: Zero Dawn and don't understand the hype for it. It looks like another generic third person action adventure. I'm not sure mashing up genres (dinosaurs + science fiction) necessarily makes for a compelling setting.

It looks like MonHun but with robot dinosaurs. I don't know if that's going to be what it is but that's what it looks like and that concept sounds really really good. If you don't get that, well... :psyduck:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Adaptabullshit posted:

Holy poo poo, Uncharted 4 is an engaging game. Meaning that I just had to stop playing and go to bed. Otherwise I would've played it overnight.

It is very good. I just finished a run last week. They nailed the climbing this time.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Pierson posted:

I'm considering a PS4 now they're pretty cheap and have a bunch of old/upcoming exclusives I like the look of. Are there any specific models to avoid because of hardware problems (like the old red-ringing 360s)?

Your best bet is a new slim bundle if you're on a budget or a pro if your budget is less tight. The launch models have the dumb eject button problem where static builds and causes the capacitive touch to keep triggering.

If you're buying used, just make sure it's not a launch model.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Bust Rodd posted:

Platinum may be in a weird spot but Square is, like, totally crushing it right now aren't they? FFXV is selling gangbusters, they have a hugely popular F2P phone game that's taking in gobs of dough, the Deus Ex and Tomb Raider franchises both released successful if somewhat hollow chapters last year, and they can apparently just release every Kh game on every console because we all just keep buying them.

It's prime time for them to completely gently caress up the FF7 remake.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
FF7 Remake is going to be an action RPG but the details have been pretty sparse.

In other news, the Miku game is good but jeez it has so many songs. I've beaten 60 songs so far and still just into the H's. some are really good! Some are so bad I really make sure to beat it on the first try so I don't have to play it again.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Hot Pursuit could have been a better game if it ditched the open world aspect. I know it was the thing this generation but I like tracks, not weird open worlds where I can race against Miatas in my Porche 911

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
According to Amazon my Platinum headset is arriving on Thursday. I'll tell the thread all about my poor purchasing decision.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Patch finally fixed WoFF's graphics on the pro too, for those concerned. It looks solid now.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Here is a list of Mario games that are better than Mario 64.

SMB
SMB2
SMB3
SMW
SMAS
SMW2
PM
SPM
SMG
SMG2
NSMBw
NSMBu
SM3DW
SMM

and now super mario odyssey

You forgot SML.

But yeah, I'd say top tier Mario is SM2, 3, W, and G. 64 was ok at the time but Galaxy showed how great a 3D Mario platformer could be.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
There were earlier silly arguments about Uncharted 4 being bad. I just finished it last week after playing the first 3 for the first time last year and I'm declaring those opinions are wrong.

1 is rough but a solid first entry. Well-paced, but the combat scenarios are eh and the movement is janky.

2 is well-paced and made all the characters more interesting and introduced Chloe and and had much better combat scenarios and felt like a great Indiana Jones-esque adventure.

3 starts off super solid and ends super solid but has the worst pacing in the series by far. There are some good combat scenarios though.

4 has the best climbing by far, is a great send-off to the characters, offers solid stealth options, and has the gameplay and visuals just nailed. A bad idea to play it if you haven't played the other games though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

3 has worse pacing than 4?

Dunno about that. Not saying 4 is bad, but it is the only entry in the series I didn't replay multiple times, mostly due to dull pacing.

3 had you changing character points of view and then one of them dropped out of the game because the VA left and then there was 6 hours of fighting increasingly boring pirates without even a phone call to Sully. Also, if you take the shield up the ladder into the pirate ship, you get bugged and can die in one hit but the game auto saved and now you can't drop the shield and have to somehow climb up the whole thing without getting shot.

:smith:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Sic semper Mario, e pluribus Drake

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
If you didn't play Umjammer Lammy and declare gaming to be over because it would never surpass that perfection, just lol

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Samurai Sanders posted:

Any word on the platinum headset? Especially the quality of the earmuffs?

The ear muffs are slightly nicer than the gold. They're pretty comfortable. The most noticeable thing is the sound quality. The 3D thing works nicer and the sound quality is noticeably better than the Gold, which didn't really have any sound quality issues to begin with.

The construction appears to be better (uses metal instead of plastic for the band) but I won't be able to really speak on long term reliability until I've had them at least 6 months.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I just played through EDF last year for the first time and loved it. It was really fun to mess with vehicle physics and shoot explosives everywhere watching insects explode while a silly old Japanese movie dub sort of tells you what's going on. There's a raw sort of glee to it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Manatee Cannon posted:

not having the random stupid thing at the end was a plus imo

they barely even tried with it in 3

It's ambiguous enough that it's left up to Nate either hallucinating that whole bit or actually being magically entranced. I liked that personally.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

veni veni veni posted:

I can't believe how loving expensive Gravity Rush remastered is already. Really wish I had grabbed a disc copy of that before it went out of print. Someone was selling it in the games selling thread for like $10 too argh.

I got it on sale digital for less than $15. It'll probably come up again. The game itself is on the smaller side for a big game too, I think around 3-4GB?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I keep wanting to see something cool in Ghost Recon (used to be one of my fav series) but everything looks so derivative. Like I know Ubisoft loves to reuse assets but I can't even see anything that hasn't already been in one of their other games.

Also I think Ubi has made it mandatory to have a small camera drone in every game. Even Steep had one.

Little Camera Drones are the Dogs of 2016-2017.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
He opened the door, walked in and goes, the hero has a little camera drone, and it malfunctions. And then he left and we didn't see him again for another month. We were like, what the gently caress? That was it. That was the direction.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm the reason for the "sound of piss" in the Destiny thread title.

Use your mute button if you don't want me to get all hot and bothered to the sound of your piss, just sayin.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with Blu-Ray is the read-rate is relatively atrocious compared to that of DVD's, which is why the PS3 had to install games to its hard drive while the X360 didn't and why the XBone and PS4 both need to as well.

Doesn't help that texture sizes have grown to extreme levels for HD quality.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

I was level 12 when I finished, died about 6 times to Ogress.

On the other hand, I died around 30 times to the very first enemies when I was trying figure out the control, so....

This is the normal way of things. Those two guys you run into after the first one are the big "ok you gotta figure out some basics to this game if you want to get past" moment.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I like my games to be short, expensive, and garbage, ama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world