Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I'd actually say it's fine to jump in on. Watch a recap. it's not like Uncharted is a super deep story. probably best to play all 4, but if someone is only going to play one of them, 4 is the one to play.

:agreed: UC4 was my first Uncharted and I wasn't lost at all. I'm sure I missed some references and there were some scenes that were clearly meant to be nostalgic for long-time players, but I had a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

FadedReality posted:

Yeah I mean I get that the PS4 Pro is an objectively better machine and the games look objectively better. Saying it's a waste of time or money to even look at a slim starts to smell like the "if you're not running two of the latest graphics card you're a peasant" elitism that makes the PC gaming community so obnoxious. I always liked that console gaming chat with based entirely around the games because everyone was using the same machine.
Yeah I'm a pro owner and happy about it, but saying a slim is a waste of money sounds like someone hyping themselves up about their purchase post hoc. I kept my original PS4 and play Hitman and TF2 on it regularly. It's totally fine.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Was the PSVR a success to Sony? I mean I know it's sold out but do they have any new bundles or anything coming out soon? I see so many online for the new price/higher it makes it seem like the NES Classic where very very very few people actually cared to get one and the rest are just sitting in some re-sellers' basements.
Sony's being cagey about the sales numbers, but are aware that it's selling out and insist they're happy with how it's doing. Either they're having supply problems and don't want to say so, or they're strategically trying to keep the install base small for some reason

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/575917/PS4-PlayStation-VR-Kaz-Hirai-Sony-Virtual-Reality

acksplode
May 17, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Every dam video streaming service uses them as fast forward and they get triggered on accident all the time.

I had to do a bunch of grinding early in my first playthrough of Dark Souls 1 to repent for the sin of putting my controller down for a moment while I was standing on front of Andre of Astora.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The first time Trico grabs you as you jump across a chasm in slo mo in TLG 😭😭😭😭

So good

e: and then you grab his tail!!!!!!!

😭😭😭thank you Ueda

Haha I was just bitching in the TLG thread about how the pre-release gameplay trailer spoiled this moment. Glad you got to experience it fresh :)

acksplode fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 12, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Renoistic posted:

Does Last Guardian measure up to Ico and SotC? I loved the earlier games but I'm a but wary of LG what with the troubled development.

It's Ico 2 with a small lovable colossus as your buddy. Buy it immediately.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The only catch is that backing up to a hard drive won't update the primary PS4 on your account like a system transfer will. Make sure you deactivate your old PS4 before you re-initialize it and get rid of it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

I remember someone saying that each user was stored in the data base by the PSN, which is why we aren't allowed to change them. It would be the equivalent of trying to change the order number for a specific order in Amazon.

They're using your PSN ID as your primary key in the user account database, whereas most competent online services assign some random number you never know about as your primary key and reference that value in other databases, not your username. That way if you ever change your username, your purchase history or whatever doesn't disappear because it's now pointing to a non-existent user. You still have the same primary key ID. One of the ways Sony could "fix" this (and they've already done this, poorly, with the real name poo poo) is by adding a new editable display name field for your account, show that instead of your PSN ID to other people in games and the dashboard and stuff, and only use your PSN ID for login.

Or:

SLOSifl posted:

The PSN APIs have been updated to use a distinct user id instead of name. I imagine the old ones will be swapped out with dynamic lookups or some other failsafe, while the new ones will be required for certification. It's already happening.

Cool, sounds like they're in the middle of migrating accounts over to a system that does things the right way. No need for display name lookups if they do things right, hell they could leave your PSN ID as your account's ID, copy it over to the new editable display name field, and just never tell you about it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

In any world where Titanfall 2 exists, Overwatch is like the dogshit stuck to the foot of a giant robert.

I was going to make a Scorch-dropping-on-Overwatch gif but http://www.titanfall.com/dropatitanonit/ is no more :'(

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Switch looks cool, already preordered mine. It's smart that Nintendo's conceding the touchscreen and console itself to the tablet design that they can't really beat and making a strategic retreat into the controllers. And those controllers do look really well designed. Full disclosure on all Nintendo opinions: I own a DSi

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Assuming Nintendo's not bullshitting on release dates, Zelda should be able to carry me to Splatoon which should then last more than long enough to get me to Mario Odyssey. I'm pretty confident that at least 2/3 of those will be genuinely great games. Then sprinkle some Virtual Console on that, plus the off chance that my girlfriend might enjoy some of the multiplayer stuff they come up with. It's probably going to be the one Nintendo console for a while (remember three pillars lol), so it's gonna get all their exclusives going forward, and on top of that it has nearly every gimmick they've introduced since the Gamecube, so it'll probably get all sorts of ports and remasters. I think I'll get my $300 out of it. But I can see why it wouldn't appeal to anyone but Nintendo fans or parents with 2 kids they want to shut up. Enjoy Skyrim! For 3 hours at a time, but that's all anyone can tolerate anyway.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

ethanol posted:

It does not have dual screens, so it can't do the gimmick of 3ds or wii u without getting ports that fix the dual screen situation, even if the screen was just a map or what have you

Yeah dual screen story is weak. Could turn the tablet sideways and render both screens on top of each other, with the bottom one responding to touch. That would be awkward with the controllers though.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

no the joycon or whatever its called is $80. if you think that's fine cool whatever but thats a lotta cash for a controller to me. so is seventy dollars. honestly so is sixty dollars which is why i only own a single ds4

DS4 is missing crucial features like a rock paper scissors reader.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

If they're smart they'll rerelease a bunch of Wii U games on Switch. If Mario Maker doesn't get ported, investors should sue.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I've gamed out all the possible scenarios where I bring my Nintendo Switch to a party and they all end with me getting shoved into a locker

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I don't bring the locker, it just always materializes somehow. And that's only if I don't get swirlied in a toilet first.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Switch is not their new handheld. Nintendo has said straight up that the Switch is a home console first.
I'd believe them if the Switch hadn't been so painstakingly designed to work as a handheld, and if the 3DS release calendar wasn't barren past February. The 3DS install base is large but the hardware is showing its age, and it'd be dumb for Nintendo to cut into the appeal of the Switch by releasing another different handheld. I bet 3DS is gonna go into maintenance mode as the budget option and slowly die off as Nintendo puts all their resources behind the do-or-die Switch.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I only realized it yesterday when I saw one to scale with a WiiU controller but the Switch is omg huge and will not fit in anyone's pocket. I am really thinking that they have made a white elephant that isn't going to be particularly good as either a portable or home console.

Eh, people's pockets already contain phones anyway. Nintendo's competing with phones now, and they can't beat their ubiquity or portability. They can only compete on game quality, so it's probably a good idea to emphasize controllers and good visuals and sacrifice on pocketability. If the Switch has a good enough library, it'll have a permanent home in many backpacks and laptop bags.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Obsurveyor posted:

Let's not get crazy here. Nintendo has barely surpassed the PS2-era DNA style online. They haven't shown they've learned any lessons from anyone over the years and they're not going to turn into some kind of online savant overnight.

Nintendo's publishing phone apps on hardware they don't manufacture and betting their business on what's basically an Nvidia tablet with controllers stuck to the sides. There's plenty of reason to doubt their expertise in building a good online service, but they've clearly learned some lessons. If they can give up on console hardware design, maybe they can give up on friend codes.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

MGSV is a stealth JRPG with some light action mechanics

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

mgs5 isn't even a little bit an rpg

Then explain all the numbers and how you're constantly adding members to your party

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yakuza 0 is now a way more urgent purchase for me. I think it's gonna be my breather game between RE7 sessions.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mario 64 should get maybe a little credit for being the first good 3D platformer ever? That's not a small feat. It came up with so many control innovations that we take for granted now. Yeah the camera controls suck these days, but it had camera controls. It singlehandedly proved why analog sticks are required for 3D games. I vividly remember running around in the starting area in front of Peach's Castle and being amazed at how Mario controlled.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I never had an n64 but just seeing/playing it in stores blew me away.

I got an N64 for Christmas the year it was released, along with one game, yeah that's right baby you guessed it: Killer Instinct. I tried to hide my disappointment because I was surprised to even get an N64, but somehow my mom got the message, and a couple weeks later she was able to track down a copy of Mario 64 (that poo poo was hard to find at launch) and surprised me with it. That was an extremely good as hell day. <3 u mom

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lobok posted:

N64 Mario is still one of the best characters to control. There are very few games where you can just run around (literally) doing absolutely nothing and it's still fun. His mix of jumps and how they work with your momentum and direction was genius.

I haven't played it in years but I still remember how if Mario runs in a tight circle, he leans inward due to centripetal force. I don't think Bubsy 3D had that. Mario 64 is outdated in the same way that, like, the original Super Mario Bros. for NES is. It's a genre-defining classic, it's in the pantheon.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Fair play to Sony on TLG, there's no way they can get back development costs on something that took like a decade to make.

It's good enough that they can sell ports and remasters well into the future. Look forward to The Ueda Collection on PS5

acksplode
May 17, 2004

KrayG posted:

My point is its a janky, unfinished mess of a game which was released out of obligation rather than nessecity.
The rest of your post is trash but I just want to focus in on this: aren't obligations by definition also necessities?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

If I had to guess, it would be that taste is subjective and everybody has different things that they enjoy.

Ain't it the truth:

KrayG posted:

The Crash games were excellent for their time and I'd to this day rather play them than Mario 64

acksplode
May 17, 2004

KrayG posted:

I hope you lot manage alright when you have to get jobs and make rent and interact with people.

Please tell us more about what it's like to be well adjusted and socialized

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Reflecting a bit on KrayG's critique, and yeah, the out-of-nowhere J-pop performance at the end of TLG where the boy leads all the Tricos in a synchronized dance routine was a bit much.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

KrayG posted:

Its difficult for me to not feel a sense of superiority over people who hold an interest in something that became tired and clichéd for me post puberty. That's not a nice thing to say about yourself but that's how it is.

Maybe you should find a better place to establish your Serious Adult Guy bona fides than a forum thread on the internet about video games?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

No matter how excited you are about VR, PSVR probably isn't worth buying a used bundle off ebay or craigslist that costs 10% more than the MSRP. If I didn't already have one I'd probably wait until it's on shelves and has more/better games.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Finally bought Sleeping Dogs, looking forward to playing it for the first time after I've finished working through my backlog sometime this fall.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Is it worth playing Gravity Rush 1 before moving onto GR2? With the understanding that I have a backlog and a job and poo poo.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cat clocks, apple watches, folks I can't keep up with all this technology!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

LMAO SquareEnixEidos actually had an almost complete new Legacy of Kain game but they canned that too, it was one of the casualties of Final Fantasy XIV being released in an awful state and Square blaming their huge loss of money on it on everything BUT it, it's what became the pay to win online game that came out a few years ago.

It's a mercy that Konami skipped all this poo poo and went straight to failing pachinko business

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Seconding all the positive opinions on RE7, I'm having a great time with it. Finally having both a good survival horror game and a real AAA PSVR release has been a treat.

I think I'm going to have to give up on Yakuza 0 though. I was excited enough to preorder but when I finally sat down to play it for the first time, I sat on my own balls. Outtie five thousand

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kin posted:

I've just started playing The Last Guardian and i remember a lot of complaints from people about it being bad because they coudln't get Trico to do what they wanted. Did they just not play that far into the game or has it been patched or something because so far it's been fairly intuitive and about right if you don't expect your beastly companion to instantly do something the moment you push the button.

Like there's a clear pattern of it looking at what you want it to do, pondering for a few seconds and then doing it.

Nah, people are just impatient jerks who apparently never had a pet before.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Cats are pretty bad at pathing in real life, also

*struggling to shove cat into pet carrier* SEVEN OUT OF TEN. AI BUGS TARNISH AN OTHERWISE CHARMING ADVENTURE

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's weird how Watch Dogs 2 makes me feel both more and less hopeful about Ubisoft. It has more personality and quality than anything they've released in a long while, but almost none of that inspiration appears in the game design. The handful of novel mechanics don't get explored in much depth. There's a really cool robot-stealth-hacking-social-engineering game in there that got crammed into a shallow GTA mold and glittered with map icons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Healbot posted:

Only a five month wait for this feature that will make Pro patches superfluous, good job Sony.

There's probably a reason it's an opt-in system setting, it's gonna break some games. Pro patches get QA'ed (in theory)