Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neo Rasa posted:

It's lazy as gently caress imo.

How would you suggest they do it? From all indications determining a robot dinosaur's attitude towards you is a fairly important part of the gameplay so it can't be something that takes too long or is too ambiguous. We also know that robots can be converted to and from your allegiance so just what kind of robot it is wouldn't be enough to tell you this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neo Rasa posted:

Ideally through animation and sound. In real life an animal can be unpredictable but if an animal is pissed and wants to kill something or is actively hunting after something or is pretty chill in the heat of the moment it's pretty obvious. I'm not asking for motion capture or anything like that just, like, make the animal look and sound pissed at you vs. being chill with you?

It sounds good on paper, but they tried this for The Last Guardian and tons of people think the game is obtuse and glitchy even though there's only one animal and they had way longer to polish it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They are boring as gently caress single player but fun co-op.

I can't remember which one it is but one has a showdown on some lava near the end and me and my friend just gave up forever there. So difficult. But they're fun.

I think 6 was probably better co op.

That's 5, which culminates in an epic battle between Chris Redfield and a boulder.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Everything except Anna is cross buy. Most of them I've never heard of, any good ones?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You don't get instakilled on discovery in the normal world, eventually monsters start appearing that can die permanently like in the other games. There's definitely a power curve, you're not far from the shotgun which is very strong and I have 5 or 6 weapons (counting redundancies) now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Cat wanders house meowing nonstop at 2AM. Can't figure out what it wants me to do, nothing I interact with opens the next area. Who designed this poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only bad part of TLG is the load screen animation, where you see all those historical pictures of imposing, terrifying legendary beasts drift by and then a picture of a Trico that looks like a third grader drew his dog and added horns and chicken legs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I never found the moment-to-moment mechanics in TLOU very fun, but the world and story make them worthwhile (eventually).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Eh, may as well. The major update fixed and added a *lot*. It's still not a compelling game but looking at pretty landscapes is much less annoying and buggy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Healbot posted:

Only a five month wait for this feature that will make Pro patches superfluous, good job Sony.

Not really, the checkbox won't enable larger framebuffers or supersampling or LOD levels or etc, nor will it overcome a framerate cap the game is enforcing itself. It's overclocking, it won't change what the game is trying to do.

Billy Gnosis posted:

I wonder if they didn't expect developers to be like "no, we aren't doing that unprofitable extra work for an old game" Or are they worried about Scorpio (Whose actual specs and price is still unknown at this point, right?)

I suspect they've had their QA teams trying it with various games and found few enough problems that they felt comfortable shipping it with a "use at your own risk" disclaimer in case some obscure title they didn't test acts up.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 3, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samurai Sanders posted:

Unless I'm going insane 4.1 seriously has almost no frame rate problems. The frame rate jokes should have ended with 4.

That means there weren't enough bugs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
PT was good for what it was but you're kidding yourself if you think it would survive being stretched out to 8+ hours.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Going by what I was hearing on the E3 Bombcast, the mechanics of Trials just really do not work well with the humor of Blood Dragon.

I dig the use of Far Cry as a platform for unique styles in spinoffs.

The bike mechanics are fine, the problem is that a lot of the game departs from the bike mechanics. There are areas where they gently caress with gravity or remove it entirely and you have to use a jetpack. There are platforming segments where you run around on foot and all the guards have instakill lasers. There are segments where you're playing the minigames from the earlier titles like bomb delivery except now they're part of the campaign progression and you have to beat them to unlock stuff.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

acksplode posted:

What blew me away with PT was the audio/visuals and controls working together to give a sense that you were occupying a human body rather than a bobbing camera on wheels -- something that RE7 clearly drew from.

I didn't get that impression from RE7, but I was playing it in VR. From what I saw of the prerendered cinematics (where the VR backs out to cinema mode) there are a lot of effects that get silently disabled in the name of comfort.

Of course the visor itself more than makes up for the missing animations in terms of occupying space in the game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

Kojima said recently that it's not horror so wouldn't start expecting it to be SH with the numbers filed off.

It's gonna be MGS with the numbers filed off.

If tactical skeleton squads and tanks crewed entirely by dead fish aren't "horror" he may not know what that word means.

Although if he's trying to throw shade at modern "horror" games for being just action games where the enemies look really gross, I could get behind that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bad Parenting posted:

They might get mad but there's nothing they can actually do about it as it stands, as far as I'm aware

Correct, the console does not report to the game whether or not the player plugged in a xim so there's no way anyone except Sony can enforce a ban.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

verbal enema posted:

What's the story on the new PS+ games

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/01/ps-plus-free-games-for-february-2017/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RatHat posted:

What does turning down the light on the PS4 controller actually affect besides PSEye stuff? I guess the rare game that does motion tracking without the Eye, like Infamous?

Infamous just uses the internal sensors, the only non-VR game I can think of that uses the light for camera tracking is the original Playroom.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Filthy Hans posted:

I can log in but not only are my download speeds hovering around zero, I started downloading the 29 gb patch for Doom and it can't get past 10% in "preparing to download." The bullshit's piling up so fast you need wings to stay above it.

edit: getting 3 mb/s now, it'll take 6 hours for the patch but at least it's working.

edit 2: down to below 1 mb/s again, what the gently caress...

"Preparing to download" is when it hashes the content already downloaded, it doesn't use internet but for a huge game like Doom it takes forever. PSN is still a garbage CDN though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I would say 100% eventually but not at launch if it hasn't been announced by now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ineffiable posted:

I though hl lost coast was about bloom and other lightning. Did it have actual hdr?

The engine did render HDR internally, it was a tech demo of both that and techniques for getting the most out of an HDR pipeline on an SDR display (so bloom and postprocessing aperture tricks).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Obsurveyor posted:

Oh yeah: Three basically identical tutorials in a row is pretty funny. I guess they had some real trouble with people not getting it.

There's a part at the beginning of Dead Space 1 where you find an audio log that describes how cutting the limbs off enemies is effective, also your partner radios to tell you that you should cut off their limbs, also a popup alert tells you to cut off their limbs, also there's a dead guy who wrote CUT OFF THEIR LIMBS on the wall in his own blood.

Of course if devs didn't do this everyone who didn't figure out the gimmick would post online about how obtuse and frustrating the game is.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kin posted:

KillZone
The Order
Beyond Two Souls

You can save yourself some time by not playing these.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best game movies (and movie games) get around that by throwing out the story entirely and doing something new with the same tone and general setting. The RE movies are trash but they're the fun kind of trash, not the kind that makes you want your two hours back like most other video game movies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ramagamma posted:

I finally started Arkham Knight and maybe its just because I haven't played an Arkham game since Asylum was released but its rad as hell. Can see the batmobile getting tiresome though.

It absolutely does, don't try to 100% it if you value your sanity.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

The true Hitman movie should be like Run Lola Run, where you see the same assassination happen multiple ways.

By this argument the best video game movie is Edge of Tomorrow.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

People vehemently hated this movie. I didn't think it was THAT terrible. I mean, not sure what they expected anyways

Well, for one thing, they could use the proper expansion of "BFG". It was going to be rated R for gore anyway, why hold back on the fanservice.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Lots of PS4 games and bits of the OS will poo poo themselves if they think they can connect and fail, but if you cut off internet in system settings they'll skip it and work properly. Might be worth trying.

e: Or that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
PS4 Slo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think the new thread title answers that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

2160p vs 1080p is significant. Good to see it runs smooth on both though.

It's not native 4K on the pro, it uses the checkerboard upscaler. Still more rendered pixels than the non-pro, though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Relin posted:

Is Rhombus of Ruin playable without VR at all or hsould I just watch an LP

VR required.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tomie knows me posted:

b-but vita means life :smith:

:black101: PS MORTIS :black101:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

a primate posted:

Maybe it's because the hysteria is over or because I bought it for $15 on PSN, but AC Unity is a pretty good game.

You're also playing it post-patches. It's been cleaned up a lot technically and I think some mobile app cross-marketing crap was removed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it looks like it's going to be not an all-time classic but really solid if you aren't allergic to open world icon hunts by now. The only reason I haven't preordered it is because the exclusive theme is a boring slideshow with no sound.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pedialyte posted:

I have a 4k/HDR TV

This is the strongest possible argument for getting a Pro, especially if you can get a good deal on your old unit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most of the chalices are pretty fun but gently caress the half-health one and gently caress the queen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh and also gently caress those bell ringer guys who summon a million spiders.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Max Wilco posted:

Is Watch Dogs 2 worth checking out? I was looking forward to the first game when it was first showed off, but the general reaction to it on release was pretty negative. The second one seems like it got a much better reception. I thought about buying both WD2 and For Honor for PS4 instead of for PC, since that way I don't have to deal with UPlay.

It's still a modern open-world game but it's a lot more fun than the first one. It stopped trying to be GTA with a magic wand and instead became its own thing with a bunch of neat tools and a cast of snarky millennials instead of gritty street characters.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fuzz posted:

Good timing, considering the discussion.

So what are people betting on the next SKU? I'm thinking it'll be more than just a Pro Slim for December 2018...

The PS4 SlimFast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

verbal enema posted:

Why is my PS4 controller light red

It's gonna blow, run