Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

Curry struggling to keep a straight face during this whole thing is Emmy worthy.

SpaAaccE :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I always jokingly said that Tim Curry's best role was as Mr. French in the six episodes til cancellation remake of Family Affair, but then I realized that is ALSO a story of three orphaned children...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

counterfeitsaint posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

Curry struggling to keep a straight face during this whole thing is Emmy worthy.

SpaAaccE :stonklol:

The Red Alert series is great because of the cutscenes it knows it's a game with time travel, mind controlled giant squid, attack bears, and the Japanese Empire with its Robotech technology and runs with it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Red Alert had some great hammy cutscenes, but Mechwarrior and Mechcommander/etc games had good ones.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Considering how famous this guy appears to be, I'm amazed the backlash was not worse for me not knowing all of his roles. Nigel Thornberry, got it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Manic X posted:

Considering how famous this guy appears to be, I'm amazed the backlash was not worse for me not knowing all of his roles. Nigel Thornberry, got it.

At least you know that role, but please do broaden your Tim Curry horizons. You'll only be doing yourself a favor.

E: Watch Clue. Do it.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 9, 2017

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

He was also great as Auntie Whispers in Over the Garden Wall!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I only have one problem with Tim Curry. I had him over for coffee once, and he would NOT stop eating my sesame cake! Rude man...

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Welp, against all hopes this series has been renewed for a second season. Hope you guys are happy with yourselves..

http://www.vastlyfrighteningdecision.com/

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

mikemil828 posted:

Welp, against all hopes this series has been renewed for a second season. Hope you guys are happy with yourselves..

http://www.vastlyfrighteningdecision.com/

I'm saddened to hear those with poor self control will continue to inflict themselves with more woeful tales.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Why couldn't they just look away?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I didn't realize this was a sad occasion.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Was there ever any doubt? I assumed all 3 seasons were approved at once. You really have to poo poo the bed for Netflix to cancel you *cough*Marco Polo*cough*

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Oh dear. Poor Patrick Warburton. No one tell him; perhaps he'll assume it's been canceled and move on to safer, happier projects.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

If they had made a movie about Queen when he was younger, Tim Curry would have been the perfect Freddie Mercury.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Only this show would announce a season renewal in a coded message :allears:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I wonder how soon the next season will come. They'll really have to pump them out fast if they want to keep the actors for Violet and Klaus.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think they might do the last season right after the second.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I wonder how soon the next season will come. They'll really have to pump them out fast if they want to keep the actors for Violet and Klaus.

What's the actual time span of the books?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Manic X posted:

What's the actual time span of the books?

Someone let me know if I'm wrong, but...

Austere Academy: a month or two at most....
Ersatz Elevator: a few days..............................
Vile Village: four days.......................................
Hostile Hospital: two or three weeks at most.
Carnivorous Carnival: Three or Four Days.......
Slippery Slope: Like, two days basically...........
Grim Grotto: three or four days........................
Penultimate Peril: Less than a day...................
The End: QUITE A WHILE..................................
Total: about four months plus that other stuff

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well the issue with that is that especially with the earlier books it's often implied that some time has passed in between them. The truth is the series gives no firm answers about how much time passes over the course of the whole thing. Generally it's figured that it ultimately takes place about over the course of one year.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Paladin posted:

Hostile Hospital: two or three weeks at most.

That long? It's been a while since I read through the series, but I remember that taking place over the course of like, maybe three days.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

That long? It's been a while since I read through the series, but I remember that taking place over the course of like, maybe three days.

Yeah, that sounds more accurate, actually.

Related, because i have no idea where else to ask this.

Has anyone read both the books and the old sci-fi conspiracy trilogy Illuminatus! ?

I was struck by the fact that they have a ton of similarities towards the last few books, specifically... (MAJOR spoilers for both book series):
The submarine, the Leviathan/Great Unknown, major schisms in the formerly benevolent secret society being the driving force behind the plots, and there's some more but, really, has anyone else noticed this? I mean, honestly if it wasn't for The Leviathan I'd chalk it up to coincidence but they seem like the same thing.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Oh, how tragic. We're getting a third season.

http://tvline.com/2017/04/04/a-series-of-unfortunate-events-season-3-renewed-netflix-neil-patrick-harris/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This could have been prevented.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm reading the books and I am legit having to take breaks because it just starts to get me down after a while. Great though.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

HopperUK posted:

I'm reading the books and I am legit having to take breaks because it just starts to get me down after a while. Great though.

I feel I should give you some advice. Take longer breaks. Or maybe one big break that lasts for about a hundred years. Then you can fill your break with happier things.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I feel I should give you some advice. Take longer breaks. Or maybe one big break that lasts for about a hundred years. Then you can fill your break with happier things.

But surely seeing other people more miserable is the only source of happiness?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
It's not surprising the third season is renewed, since you know, they have it all planned out to begin with and have always mentioned three seasons. Still, I hope they smooth out some of the rougher edges, like the whole thirteenth book.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We've got casting news folks! This link tells who the new additions will be playing so be wary of that (a few of the names will mean something to you even if you haven't read the books)

http://www.tvguide.com/news/nathan-fillion-tony-hale-a-series-of-unfortunate-events-season-2-netflix/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's a shame that these promising actors are basically ending their careers by performing such a dire story, but I suppose it's a necessary evil, a phrase which here means something that you don't want to do but have to for reasons you're not entirely sure of.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Tony Hale feels like an appropriate pick for Jerome. I dunno about Nathan Fillon as Jacques, though. I guess he looks similar enough to Patrick Warburton for it to work.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mikedawson posted:

I guess he looks similar enough to Patrick Warburton for it to work.

That's what I was thinking. He's nothing like I imagined the character, but he's a good match for the other man that was nothing like I imagined his sibling.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lucy Punch is a pretty great casting for Esme. She can be super obnoxious and I feel like she'll play off NPH well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Disappointed that it wasn't Paget Brewster, but Lucy Punch seems like a really good choice.

• Locked thread