Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
I've made a couple attempts at this, but mostly for fun. At one point I was a fairly high-level Magic the Gathering player, and was making content on the side mostly for fun. It never got really huge; at its peak I had a few hundred subscribers and would get a little over 1k views on my videos.

I do poker content now, but haven't really made much of an attempt to advertise it, and I'm not a high profile player so I doubt I'd ever get much attention for it anyway.

I've known a couple folks that have turned this type of thing into a successful Youtube / Twitch sort of thing, so I have some knowledge about what they did.

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been considering starting a channel. I am curious how you got started.
What type of channel are you thinking of starting? Are you interested in some sort of specific topic or hobby, or are you just going for some broad appeal, vlog sort of thing? This greatly impacts your potential audience and how you should approach funding and other things.

If you want to do general interest videos like vlogs and whatnot, you potentially have a much wider audience, but your competition is huge. Also, as far as I can tell, it's really, really hard to know ahead of time what's going to resonate with the general public at any given time. Most of the successful tubers in this bucket just started making videos and lucked into finding an audience.

If you want to do topical / hobby, you're audience is going to be limited to people that are into that topic. However, I think there's a ton of potential here. If you find a hobby that you are A) uniquely good at and/or B) uniquely good at making content for, you can potentially attract a large market of dedicated viewers over time. If you're good enough at it, you can get a large staple of viewers that will watch the entirety of your videos, which is very important for ad revenue.

Depending on your hobby, the market might already be super saturated and hard to break through. There are already thousands of people doing gaming videos, and they are better than you at doing it. However, maybe you're really good at dirt biking and have found a novel way to film and present it - that might have potential. If your hobby already has lots of prominent folks making good content and lots of copycats, you're going to have to be incredibly creative and talented to grab a share of the audience.

On the plus side, I think you also have a better case for Patreon / Twitch subscribers in the hobby-based category, which in my opinion is a much more reliable way to get a consistent income.

In general, content needs to be high quality (great audio, good video), be uploaded consistently, be timely (e.g. cover games as soon as, if not before they come out), be unique, and be entertaining. Also, being one of the first to do something in a certain topic is huge. A lot of the big vlog and gaming video people today are just the people who have been doing it for the longest time.

quote:

I would guess that step one is to create a new gmail account and then an attached youtube account.

How long was it before you could invest earnings back into the business. Better camera/mic/lights/perhaps green screen/actual licensed premiere.

How long did it take to get to 100/1000/10,000/100,000 subs?
Look, if you're thinking this is a surefire thing that's definitely going to work out for you given enough time, you're delusional. For every Youtuber that's making a living doing it, there are 500 that made a serious attempt at it and failed. It often takes years to grow a respectable audience. Not to mention many of the Youtubers that have "made it" are only going to be a temporary flash in the pan that will fade out a few years from now. The vast majority of people who have "made it" started doing something for fun that happened to blow up; they didn't start out thinking they were going to rake in the money.

quote:

From my research, it looks like 100k subs with consistently posted vids is about where one can expect to earn enough to go full time.
What actually matters is how many minutes per day people spend watching your videos. This depends on how long your videos are, how often you post them, and what percentage of your viewers watch the whole video. 100k subs means nothing if you post 2, 30 minute videos a month and only 2% of your viewers watch the whole thing.

The people who do this for a living are making content constantly. Most profitable Twitch streamers are streaming 50+ hours a week. Successful gaming video folks like NL post many hour long videos a day, not to mention all the time spent prepping and editing, and all the content that gets left on the cutting room floor. Even when you're "making it," you're working your rear end off to constantly produce content.

Imaduck fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread