Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

swickles posted:

Maybe ODB just needs to meet a nice water cooler, someone he can chat with on the sidelines and help him work through things.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

swickles posted:

Maybe ODB just needs to meet a nice water cooler, someone he can chat with on the sidelines and help him work through things.

Marshall chose a different ship to go down with

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CyberPingu posted:

Marshall chose a different ship to go down with

Pretty sure Marshall went down on a plane, not a ship.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

big money big clit posted:

Pretty sure Marshall went down on a plane, not a ship.

I thought that was the Vikings?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

A A Ron isn't the only one holding for 9 seconds.

hahahaha

BobbyK posted:

How do you watch football for the past few months and think GB has a porous Oline? Everything is about how he holds the ball for 9 seconds every pass play.

Seriously, though, Aaron is one of the more elusive/mobile QB's in the game and he can still be effective behind a lovely o-line. See: Wilson, Russell

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Chilichimp posted:

Seriously, though, Aaron is one of the more elusive/mobile QB's in the game and he can still be effective behind a lovely o-line. See: Wilson, Russell

I assure you, after watching every Packers game this season, some multiple times, the Packers offensive line isn't even close to average, let alone "bad", "porous", or "lovely". I'm not a homer that refuses to admit our shortcomings, but this offensive line is special.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Rodgers extends plays a lot, but he's been doing it behind the line for the most part, just moving around in the pocket to keep linemen between himself and the rushers. It's nothing like Wilson getting immediate pressure up the middle from two different rushers and having to pirouette three times and run backwards twenty yards before heaving up a thirty yard completion.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
PFF has ranked GB's o-line in the top 10 consistently. They look a lot better than other offensive lines out there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

seiferguy posted:

PFF has ranked GB's o-line in the top 10 consistently.

lol

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I get PFF and any "advanced" metrics site is dubious, but quantifying offensive line play is tough. And I'm gonna cast doubt on someone saying GB's line is bad considering the Seahawks and Vikings existed this year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

*watches Rodgers get 10 seconds to throw like 20 times in a game against a good D*

lol Packers line bad

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I get a LOL for PFF because they're trash.

Rodgers is getting sacked at the 2nd lowest rate of his entire career (only his 2014 MVP season was better), so his line is hardly screwing him over in pass protection. And his time in the pocket against the Giants was ridiculous of course.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

sean10mm posted:

I get a LOL for PFF because they're trash.

this guy gets it

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I honestly don't know what the "best" site is for grading o-line play (if such a site exists) so if there's a good one, I'm all ears. I'm assuming it costs money.

In the meantime, I'm just gonna post some Bradley Sowell play so everyone understands the type of offensive line play I'm used to:

https://twitter.com/deionmarco/status/776072116135399424

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Bulaga, TJ Lang, and DB69 are all very above average players. Lane Taylor has gotten way better and is playing some of the best football of his short career (as a start, I mean) thus far.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

seiferguy posted:

I honestly don't know what the "best" site is for grading o-line play (if such a site exists) so if there's a good one, I'm all ears. I'm assuming it costs money.

In the meantime, I'm just gonna post some Bradley Sowell play so everyone understands the type of offensive line play I'm used to:

lol 78 doesn't even turn fast as he watches the guy run by

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Intruder posted:

*watches Rodgers get 10 seconds to throw like 20 times in a game against a good D*

lol Packers line bad

Watching that game, I get the sense that Rodgers has some condition that makes him physically ill if he stays inside a nicely protected pocket.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

BobbyK posted:

lol 78 doesn't even turn fast as he watches the guy run by

If you rearrange the letters to "Bradley Sowell" it inevitably forms the words "healthy scratch", don't know why that is but I can't argue with science.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

seiferguy posted:

El es basura.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Green Bay has someone at least league average along their entire line. That makes their line better than 20 teams in the league. O-line play has been terrible this year, in general.

Nov 6, 2002

MrLogan posted:

Green Bay has someone at least league average along their entire line. That makes their line better than 20 teams in the league. O-line play has been terrible this year, in general.

Maybe defenses have just gotten better at creating pressure.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
There are some really great offensive lines this year, though. Dallas, Oakland, Tennessee, Washington, New Orleans all had great lines this year.

I'll admit I was wrong about Green Bay's line this year. They've clearly been good in pass protection.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Maybe defenses have just gotten better at creating pressure.

Offensive line play has been down overall for the past few years. It all started with the latest CBA. GMs are more likely to throw in rookies to play o-line, meaning they have to learn schemes and a new style of blocking. In the prior CBA when rookies were getting huge deals, GMs were more likely to get a vet who was in the twilight of his career, who knew what to do but was probably just a bit slower at it than a 22-year old. Those vets are getting passed over for a cheaper rookie. That, and the new CBA limited the amount of full-contact practice in a year (insert joke about Pete Carroll bypassing this), meaning that most teams are testing what they practiced on gameday.

Granted, there are teams that invest and develop lines, Dallas being the prime example here.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The football meta is constantly shifting and as other areas improve, other areas will suffer.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You think poor protection is your arguments ally

I was born into turnstile linemen. I've seen the horrors of Dallas Thomas

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Oh hey are we talking bad offensive lines because I don't know if you dudes know about this fella but his name is Ereck Flowers and he was drafted 9 overall and his idea of pass protection is to prevent the pass from happening at all so he doesn't have to protect it anymore

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
lovely offensive linemen chat: gently caress Ty Sambrailo

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Marcus Cannon is the most improved offensive lineman this year, and possibly in the history of football, and maybe just the most improved thing in general in the history of everything.

Dante Scarnecchia is just the best. :allears:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Febreeze posted:

Oh hey are we talking bad offensive lines because I don't know if you dudes know about this fella but his name is Ereck Flowers and he was drafted 9 overall and his idea of pass protection is to prevent the pass from happening at all so he doesn't have to protect it anymore

They asked him if he wanted to protect the QB, and he passed.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Watching that game, I get the sense that Rodgers has some condition that makes him physically ill if he stays inside a nicely protected pocket.

Typical homosexuality IMO.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Amy Pole Her posted:

You think poor protection is your arguments ally

I was born into turnstile linemen. I've seen the horrors of Dallas Thomas

ITT We act like offensive line play is really bad this year and David Carr's offensive line never existed

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
The state of the Vikings oline really brings me down on the team's ceiling. It's such a disaster and it's going to take a couple of years to fix even if they make great signings and draft picks, which they've failed at recently outside of Boone. Injuries were a factor but the the guys they lost weren't decent.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

TheChirurgeon posted:

ITT We act like offensive line play is really bad this year and David Carr's offensive line never existed

And they still got trounced at the line by the Texans.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

This year? Did you not post in tff the past 3 years?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PrinceRandom posted:

And they still got trounced at the line by the Texans.

I don't know whether to laugh or sigh at this. I wrote "David" and not "Derek," btw

Amy Pole Her posted:

This year? Did you not post in tff the past 3 years?

Ha, true. I went back and pulled the stats on it, for anyone interested--Sack rates were actually *down* across the league this year. The worst offensive line play we've seen (or best dline play, depending on how you want to look at it) was back in 2013, when sack rates were a full percentage point higher.

Year - Sk Rate
2016 - 6.11%
2015 - 6.48%
2014 - 6.78%
2013 - 7.14%
2012 - 6.57%
2011 - 6.82%
2010 - 6.54%

I also pulled team-by-team stats, but those charts look like a mess and would take too long to clean up. Here's the broad strokes:
- Worst sack rate since 2010: Jacksonville, 2014 (12.7%)!! <-- JAX gave up a sack on 1 out of every 8 pass attempts
- Runner-up: Chicago, 2010 (12%)
- Best sack rate since 2010: Indianapolis, 2010 (2.4%)
- Runner-up: Denver, 2014 (2.8%)

The "Peyton Manning Effect," or "Proof that at least half of a team's sacks are the fault of the QB" - Every full season Manning played in the sample, his team had the lowest sack rate in the league. Indy 2010 (2.4%), DEN 2012 (3.6%), DEN 2013 (3.0%), DEN 2014 (2.8%). Denver's sack rate jumped back up to be around the league average in 2015 (6.4%).

The "Most consistently high sack rate" award goes to SF, who only 'led' the league in sack rate once (2015, 10.1%), but had the highest 6-year avg

The "Least consistent sack rate/Most improved" award goes to Chicago, who went from a league-high 12% in 2010 to a more-reasonable 5% this year. Pittsburgh was close behind, with a similar decline from 9% in 2010 to 3.5% in 2016.

This year's best sack rate was held by Oakland (3%), followed by Pittsburgh. The worst was Cleveland (11.6%), by a wide margin, followed by Buffalo/SF (9.7%/9.6%).

Nov 6, 2002

12% jesus christ bears

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
does any site track time in pocket before pass/sack/scramble? that'd be interesting to average out w/ lineup data.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JPrime posted:

does any site track time in pocket before pass/sack/scramble? that'd be interesting to average out w/ lineup data.

Football outsiders does an annual analysis on sack times; e.g. sacks that occur less than 3 seconds after the snap versus more than 3 seconds, so as to separate line sacks from QB/coverage sacks. PFF tracks time to throw and the accuracy for QBs based on time from snap to pass. I haven't seen anything tracking how long a QB spends in the pocket before a pass/sack/scramble, though. Would be interesting to look at.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

12% jesus christ bears

Don't you remember the Giants game where Cutler died for our sins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The Packers' o-line is really good at pass blocking. Even against a team with a very good pass rush like the Giants, Rodgers had a lot of plays where he was just kind of dancing & shifting in the pocket while his line was just giving him all day to find a receiver coming open. That one TD pass he threw to Randall Cobb that put 'em up 31-13 is one where he had practically forever to just let somebody come open. He gets sacked a lot but mobile QBs who hold onto the ball and try and make a big play happen usually have higher sack rates in general.

You want a bad offensive line, go watch some Giants, Vikings or Chargers games - now those are teams with trash heap o-lines.

12% jesus christ bears

mikemartz.txt

• Locked thread