Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

WWE is back with another exclusive WWE Network Tournament, which may or may not have came of nowhere. Either due to the popularity of the Cruiserweight Classic or the possible impending return of the World of Sport wrestling in the UK and its flourishing indy scene, WWE has signed a handful of these wrestlers on the UK indy scene. There will have a live two day tournament at 3pm EST, to crown the first ever WWE United Kingdom Champion!

Not only has WWE created a new title, which no one really knows how it'll be defended in the future or if it'll ever be on the main roster or a weekly UK themed show, they also hired a new commentator specifically for this tournament. Joining Michael Cole at the commentary table will be former ROH World Champion and Commissioner, Nigel McGuinness!

Instead of 32 competitors WWE has brought in 16 competitors from all corners of the UK, no brackets have been revealed yet, but here are the competitors:

Mark Andrews
Height: 5’8”
Weight: 160 lbs.
Signature Move: Shooting Star Press

Mark Andrews might be familiar to some people who punished themselves to watch TNA the last few years. Mark Andrews, or Mandrews as he was called in TNA has apparently jumped ship to the WWE! He's coming in as a surprise participant as he wasn't at the original announcement of the tournament. In a tournament of brawlers and grapples this high flier seems more at home with the Cruiserweight Classic, but he'd rather become the first WWE UK Champion and represent Wales.

Danny Burch
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 190 lbs.
Finishing Move: The London Bridge

Danny Burch might also look familiar to those who watched the early days of NXT as Burch was a former NXT wrestler. When he was released from his contract however this British Brawler looked to expand on his career more. Not only did he go back to his old stomping grounds in the UK, Burch has also found a new home in the Southern indy wrestling scene surprisingly. Burch is back in the WWE to prove that he's gotten better at his craft and to become the first WWE UK Champion.

Trent Seven
Height: 5’10”
Weight: 210 lbs.
Signature Move: Red Right Hand

Trent Seven may seem like a veteran but this old school looking wrestler has only been on the scene since 2009. Seven has gotten quite a fan base for his charming charisma and his hard hitting offense he calls "British Strong Style". Not only is Trent Seven a gifted singles wrestler but he is also a skilled tag team wrestler with fellow tournament member Tyler Bate. He's one of the favorites to win this tournament, what with him doing a lot of media work leading up to the shows.

H.C. Dyer
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 213 lbs.
Signature Move: Ripcord Blue Thunder Bomb

H.C. Dyer is a bit of an unknown to me to be quite honest. He doesn't even have a Cagematch.net profile to look up and do research on. However he has been a champion in a few UK indy promotions he's been in. WWE's profile describes him as a cocky, as good as he says he is, brawler; who is only in this for the fame and the money. I guess time will tell to see how far he really goes in this tournament.

Pete Dunne
Weight: 205 lbs.
Signature Move: Flatliner

I'm going to say this first, before Mark Andrews was announced for this tournament, Pete Dunne was the one person a lot of people picked to be the winner. Dunne is a violent bruiser, in fact he's earned himself the nickname of the Bruiserweight for his journey around the indy scenes across the UK and US defeating fellow cruiserweights with his strikes and grappling. Pete Dunne is still a nasty dude with high chances of getting to the finals, and if he has to go through an old rival in Mark Andrews, then he'll gladly do so.

Wolfgang
Height: 6’1”
Weight: 255 lbs.
Signature Move: The Howling

Wolfgang is one of the few true heavyweights in this tournament. He's a big nasty brawler who currently holds claim to the ICW Heavyweight championship, one of the biggest titles in Scotland. Surprisingly enough even though this big bruiser likes to pummel his opponents his finishing move is a diving senton bomb!

Jordan Devlin
Weight: 182 lbs.
Signature Move: Moonsault

Jordan Devlin began training for wrestling at 12 years old. One of his trainers? WWE's own Finn Balor. Devlin may look a bit like his mentor, but while they both are high fliers, Devlin has the advantage on the ground. He's looking to follow in his trainer's footsteps and become the a first time champion as well.

Sam Gradwell
Weight: 210 lbs.
Signature Move: Diving Headbutt

Unfortunately another wrestler I'm not too familiar with. WWE's profile for Sam Gradwell says he's a mean spirited seven year veteran whose lived a hard life and shows that with the ever present scowl on his face. Honestly not a good picture to accompany that description as he doesn't look too intimidating here. However he's on the taller side of the competitors in this tournament so he'll look to using that to his advantage.

Tyler Bate
Height: 5’7”
Weight: 175 lbs.
Signature Move: Gotch Style Tombstone

Yes you read that right, Tyler Bate is only 19 years old. However don't let that age fool you as Tyler Bate is surprisingly good for his age and the fact he's only been wrestling since 2012. He's also deceptively strong spinning people around with ease like Cesaro does with the giant swing. One thing for certain is that this kid has a bright future in wrestling no matter his out come in the tournament.

James Drake
Height: 5’11"
Weight: 178 lbs.
Signature Move: Mr. Mayhem

James Drake is just like a lot of the wrestlers in this tournament who started their training at the age of 13 which at the young age of 23 gives him 10 years of experience wrestling already. Wrestling that young you're bound to reinvent yourself more than others and he's adopted a no nonsense brawling style. Coming into the UK Championship Tournament he's also dropped some weight so he's looking to be in fighting shape.

Tucker
Height: 5’8”
Weight: 191 lbs.
Signature Move: Superkick

Tucker is another wrestler trained under Finn Balor who might be even more agile and death defying. WWE's profile states that Tucker as a child wasn't meant to live longer than a day. His whole life has been about fighting an over coming obstacles in his way and while the UK Tournament might not have been the biggest one, it is however the latest one for him to conquer.

Tyson T-Bone
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 245 lbs.
Signature Move: Gypsy’s Kiss

Tyson T-Bone is a big ol' bruiser from such promotions as Preston City Wrestling. This tattooed brute calls himself "The King of Travelers" and I'm sure he's thrown down in the streets with other rowdy travelers and hooligans from time to time. However his real home for fighting is in the middle of a wrestling ring and he's going to prove it by becoming the the first WWE UK Champion.

Joseph Conners
Weight: 193 lbs.
Finishing Move: Hammerlock DDT

What does Joseph Conners have in common with WWE Hall of Famer and GM of Monday Night Raw, Mick Foley? The answer: He's missing part of one of his ears. Conners is all about putting his body on the line like the daredevil and risk taker he is. That kind of creed is what will serve him best on his way to winning this tournament.

Dan Moloney
Weight: 216 lbs.
Signature Move: The Worldstar

Dan Moloney is one of the younger competitors in this tournament along with Tyler Bate, however while Tyler Bate is more gentlemanly with some old school finesse, Dan Moloney is all about his smash mouth offense. Another competitor that's been training since he was 12 years old, Moloney learned the hard way that you got to fight tooth and nail with no regard for anyone else for what you want in life, and he'll be doing the same for the WWE UK Championship.

Roy Johnson
Weight: 204 lbs.
Signature Move: Last Set

Roy Johnson is more of a sports entertainer than what you picture in a UK style tournament like this. A self proclaimed "bodyguy" and "the most wavey guy in wrestling" this dude is all about fun and working out with his light up sunglasses and his work out clothes on. Roy also only has 2 years of experience compared to everyone else in this tournament so he's going to be the great unknown in this tournament and he likes it that way.

Saxton Huxley
Height: 6’3”
Weight: 220 lbs.
Signature Move: Shattered Illusions

Saxton Huxley is one of the tallest men in this tournament and the self proclaimed "Muscle Cat" is going to use that to his advantage. There's not too much information on this guy other than he's been a tag team wrestler in a team called the Muscle Cats as well. What is for certain is that Saxton will use his power and his wits to overcome any opponent in his way.

Tournament begins January 14th and ends January 15th. The airing time is 8pm in the UK which means it'll be live at 3pm EST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

go andrews

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

someone please tell Tyson T-Bone that blackface is completely unacceptable in 2017

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

oatgan posted:

someone please tell Tyson T-Bone that blackface is completely unacceptable in 2017

his gimmick is a gypsy oatgan, he works hard, he fights hard, he gets dirty. It's natural.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

"Muscle Cat" is some kind of nick name.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Cabbit posted:

"Muscle Cat" is some kind of nick name.

from bow wow to meow meow

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
wolfgang seems extremely badass is he good

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Alain Post posted:

wolfgang seems extremely badass is he good

i've heard that he is not. at least compared to other people in ICW. I think someone said he's one of their bookers.

From personal experience the best wrestlers are Andrews, Dunne, Tyler Bate, Trent Seven, and Moloney. Burch I've heard good things about. Everyone else is an unknown to me, besides T-Bone who is an okay big man wrestler for someone who isn't that big.

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 8, 2017

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

i've heard that he is not. at least compared to other people in ICW. I think someone said he's one of their bookers.

This is true, but he still has the potential to be Cena levels of over with the kids and all that. At the very least, the kids incessantly chanting 'let's go Wolfie clapclap clapclapclap' the one time I saw him in a singles match with kids in the audience indicated that's the case.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Let's go Jordan Devlin, Tucker, Wolfgang, and Andrews. gently caress England!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

This pic makes Nigel look like Mads Mikkelsen and Michael Cole had a baby.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
There's no way the finals of this don't end up as yet another Dunne/Andrews match, right

They're the only two guys in the bracket with any heat outside of the UK scene at all except for maybe Bate

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Going to both nights of this :rms:

Shame I'm going to have to spend two days in Blackpool though.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
It's pretty hosed that a country not part of the United kingdom is in this tournament imo

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

GenericMartini posted:

Let's go Jordan Devlin, Tucker, Wolfgang, and Andrews. gently caress England!

:yeah:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

It's pretty hosed that a country not part of the United kingdom is in this tournament imo

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

KungFu Grip posted:

Shows how much they care, tbh.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

The bruiserweight is gonna gently caress up all these uk geeks.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

After watching the WOS Special on ITV, I really don't know why WWE is so threatened by Grado and David Hart Smith.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I hope Danny Burch goes far in this. I always felt he was underrated in NXT and could've been used a lot better. He doesn't appear often but he's been really solid when he has.

KungFu Grip posted:

It sounds better than "British Isles Tournament" I guess.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

reality_groove posted:

After watching the WOS Special on ITV, I really don't know why WWE is so threatened by Grado and David Hart Smith.

They're not. They're threatened by it being on terrestrial TV, which automatically guarantees it far higher ratings than WWE's programming.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I really hope they give Roy some mic time, cos he can't wrestle for poo poo

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

KungFu Grip posted:

You can't have a wrestling tournament without an evil foreigner. He can cut promos about how he's going to Brexit the country back to The European Union Member-Nation of Ireland with their championship.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Brackets for the tournament have been revealed by WWE. Time to guess who wins it all

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Gutted that Wolfgang and T-Bone got matched in the first round. Let's go big hoss brawlers.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Danny Burch vs Mark Andrews is your finals

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
Kind of surprised Big Damo and Tommy End aren't in this.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

oatgan posted:

I was just thinking this too

They do like having one of their own in there, can't have a winner that hasn't beaten an ex WWE guy

Such a shame Pete is losing to to Roy Johnson yeah, no way Dunne can win a wasteman challenge

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tommy end is dutch

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

oatgan posted:

No loving way that NXT enhancement talent is losing to Jordan Devlin

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

Dan Moloney
Weight: 216 lbs.
Signature Move: The Worldstar

Dan Moloney is one of the younger competitors in this tournament along with Tyler Bate, however while Tyler Bate is more gentlemanly with some old school finesse, Dan Moloney is all about his smash mouth offense. Another competitor that's been training since he was 12 years old, Moloney learned the hard way that you got to fight tooth and nail with no regard for anyone else for what you want in life, and he'll be doing the same for the WWE UK Championship.

This guy's hair is bigger than his face

it's mesmerising

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Preview show on the Network right after Raw.

They're really throwing this thing together at the last minute, aren't they?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Preview show on the Network right after Raw.

They're really throwing this thing together at the last minute, aren't they?

The belt is cool though.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

rovert posted:

No loving way that NXT enhancement talent is losing to Jordan Devlin

Having watched the preview, yeah he's not losing

Mark v Devlin final

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Here is more info on the participants by VOW
http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2017/01/10/wwe-uk-championship-tournament-participants/

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Really hope they don't neuter the style of those they sign like they did with the crusierweights. Don't want to see these guys wrestle like Americans on tv.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The special isn't bad, from the perspective of someone like me that doesn't know any of these people besides Andrews. It gives at least a bit of an introduction to each guy, has a little HHH dickstroking, talks about the Summerslam at Wembley, and has a short bit about Nigel.

It does reinforce to me, though, that I'm never not going to think about Nigel McGuiness donating sperm and organizing threesomes when he's onscreen, and I don't know how to accept that.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i think its funny that a handful of the guys in the photo op weren't brought in anyway

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
It's a shame Regal and Nigel are both fairly broken down - imagine the reaction if either of them jumped the winner at the end of the tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That special was horrible. Bracketology for the CWC was really good at getting me to know the guys, and that's what I was expecting.

I hope they do a "meet the competitors" video like for CWC though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHrzSWOorVk

• Locked thread