Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://twitter.com/RealKingRegal/status/709390515423281152/photo/1

Regal aint taking a bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, at best you'd get a Regal proxy, like maybe Cesaro, Ohno or hell, maybe Gallagher (the latter could actually work pretty well, with Jack being upset at the unsportsmanlike conduct).

Could Regal do a special ref spot as long as he didn't have to bump?

Also, I can see pigeonholing Bate alongside Gallagher, but beyond moustaches, I'm not quite sure where the Vaudevillains come in? Their gimmicks are fairly different. "Literally a 1920s circus strongman act" is not the same as "traditional polite British grappler".

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 16, 2017

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
You're boolin if you don't want Dunne/Cesaro

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's nice to get a reminder every so often of why I love pro-wrestling so much :allears:

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Jerusalem posted:

It's nice to get a reminder every so often of why I love pro-wrestling so much :allears:

Same.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Dear lord man I've always loved your work but holy poo poo :stonk:

Also loved this tourney. I've always loved the tournament matches like KotR so this was like a call back to that and it warmed my soul. Plus seeing people like Conners, Dunne, and the Mustache Mountain guys kicking rear end on WWE dime was something to behold.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It was also pretty cool to see a call back to some of the most distinctive historic venues of yesteryear. Stadiums and arena's are great and all that, but none of them have the character of some of the old wrestling venues.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, the Empress Ballroom is a great venue for wrestling. If I ever travel to England one day, I'd love to check out a show there.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I just got done watching it, unfortunately was spoiled by twitter still being open when I got home but still what an amazing show. Funny that because I don't think anyone was too hyped about this thing coming into it.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

The_Rob posted:

Everyone should watch Hero vs End in PWG. That match rules.

Also Tommy vs. ZSJ, especially if you didn't like Sabre in the CWC because most of the match is Tommy kicking the snot out of him

NickRoweFillea posted:

You're boolin if you don't want Dunne/Cesaro

I'm sure the match would be good because they're both great, but idk if Dunne's bullying would be believable on a guy who's got 8 inches and like 50 pounds on him

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Did people not like Sabre in the CWC? It clearly wasn't his best work, but I enjoyed his matches while he was around.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
I'm still gonna need some time to process the scene of Michael Cole, doing the best job he's ever done, announcing Tommy End's debut. How great he was tonight made me feel like they were gonna cut to him with a, "The Death of Tommy End" shirt on..

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Benne posted:

Did people not like Sabre in the CWC? It clearly wasn't his best work, but I enjoyed his matches while he was around.

Yeah every week people were coming up with lame excuses on why they think he has always been bad.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Benne posted:

His only really good match in it was the one with Gulak, who was both good enough to understand and sell ZSJ's offense and good enough to work the style of wrestling ZSJ is capable of responding to

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://twitter.com/GranitJacka/status/820874423498641408

Choose your favourite wrestling meme of the UK tournament right here.

People are digging up Tyler Bates old tweets and they aren't bad. just loving hilarious

Solus fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 16, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The resemblance between Bate's twitter av and that old pic of jacked Vince in profile is uncanny

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tyler Bate is a Dean Ambrose Guy? I knew I loved him.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That went waaaay differently than I thought. I figured Danny Burch would've gone far, and I had Trent Seven to win it once Burch was out. Great to see Tommy End. I'm guessing he gets his official renaming in NXT. Andrews was great but his 2003 pop-punk presentation kinda made me hate him. The final match was really good, but Bate hasn't quite grasped believable selling yet. When Dunne was really pulling back on his injured shoulder, Bate just looked mildly annoyed.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
What was Mandrews theme?

Went to both nights, the crowd can be annoying and then awesome in equal measures. Bate winning was the perfect story. Went with the wife and when we came out she mentioned how she'd like to see Dunne, Bate, Seven and Mandrews all wrestle again. Gonna have to see when theyre all next booked near Manchester.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Interesting some of the names that were there. I've seen Haskins and Jimmy Havoc mentioned, and apparently there was someone else blurred out in one of the Dunne/Regal backstage videos. I'm guessing if they get the weekly show they'll get some more guys signing on.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The Big Taff Man posted:

Went to both nights, the crowd can be annoying and then awesome in equal measures. Bate winning was the perfect story. Went with the wife and when we came out she mentioned how she'd like to see Dunne, Bate, Seven and Mandrews all wrestle again. Gonna have to see when theyre all next booked near Manchester.

For Dunne, Bate and Seven at least Progress have a show in Manchester on the 19th of March at the Ritz.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Skinty McEdger posted:

For Dunne, Bate and Seven at least Progress have a show in Manchester on the 19th of March at the Ritz.

Sold out already. Thanks though

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
I love that during Bate's acceptence speech, he says he's been doing it for five years, and he looks like such a grown rear end little man that I forgot five years ago meant he was fourteen. Dude's incredible, and I want him to pop up on every show from time to time with the belt.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
So what's next? Will Tyler wrestle for other promotions with the WWE belt until WWE gets a weekly show up and running?

Also, if they do that, which I think HHH said he wanted as an outcome, how long til that happens? Can Bate lose the title on a non-WWE show?

And finally, is this belt gonna be defended at Wrestlemania?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
The U.K. Belt will probably be a U.K. Only thing and not be defended on the main shows without a special occasion. I could see them doing a Wrestlemania defense to peak interest for a upcoming show but we probably won't see much until then

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

If he defends it at Wrestlemania it will either be at the Progress show in town that weekend or on the WM pre-show

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Just got done watching. Seven/Wolfgang, Dunne/Andrews and the final were great. I burst out laughing when it cut to Cole and Nigel wearing their loving Blue Peter badges. With his look and his story, Wolfgang feels like he should be at least 6 or 7 years older. British wrestling in general seems to follow JRPG rules when everyone's like five years younger than you expect them to be. Except Trent Seven.

oatgan posted:

If he defends it at Wrestlemania it will either be at the Progress show in town that weekend or on the WM pre-show

Maybe on Takeover? The San Antonio card is looking pretty sparse tbh so having a match with some sort of stakes pre built in would be good. I don't trust post-Ward NXT to give me more than one or two matches I care about anymore.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 16, 2017

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
What is Blue Peter?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

I love that during Bate's acceptence speech, he says he's been doing it for five years, and he looks like such a grown rear end little man that I forgot five years ago meant he was fourteen. Dude's incredible, and I want him to pop up on every show from time to time with the belt.

I've been watching him wrestle regularly since 2013 (as Arthur Klauser-Saxon to begin with), and even back then you could tell he was something special

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

No Irish Need Imply posted:

What is Blue Peter?

It's the longest running kids tv show in the uk. It's sort of an institution in the uk. You get a badge for having something you made or a letter you wrote on the show.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

magnum_valentino posted:

So what's next? Will Tyler wrestle for other promotions with the WWE belt until WWE gets a weekly show up and running?

Also, if they do that, which I think HHH said he wanted as an outcome, how long til that happens? Can Bate lose the title on a non-WWE show?

And finally, is this belt gonna be defended at Wrestlemania?

My assumption has been that they can continue working anything that's not WoS or WCPW. I would think that the mentioning of PROGRESS and ICW on the shows mean those are going to be partner promotions for the time being.

Also, if you have FloSlam, you can catch Pete Dunne against Matt Riddle Sunday on the 1 p.m. ET IPW show

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 16, 2017

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

ICW, Rev Pro and Progress all had people there who were shown by name. Expect them to keep working with them. But yeah the terms are pretty much they can work wherever just no IPPV's (ie WCPW) and no tv (So no WOS or would assume 5* wrestling).

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

It's the longest running kids tv show in the uk. It's sort of an institution in the uk. You get a badge for having something you made or a letter you wrote on the show.
That's cool as hell.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

The Big Taff Man posted:

What was Mandrews theme?

As has been said, it was an early 2000's-style pop punk song, apparently by a band that Andrews himself is in. It's totally legit to hate on him for it, but I thought it was a great touch because of how visibly into it he was. It really sold him as an earnest, likable, energetic dork

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Doesn't ICW have TV?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't know if ICW is actually on TV or if it's just something they do for their On Demand service

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

Doesn't ICW have TV?

Not in the UK.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Jenny Angel posted:

As has been said, it was an early 2000's-style pop punk song, apparently by a band that Andrews himself is in. It's totally legit to hate on him for it, but I thought it was a great touch because of how visibly into it he was. It really sold him as an earnest, likable, energetic dork

I loved his theme mate

Grozz Nuy posted:

Doesn't ICW have TV?

In Italy yeah

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Skinty McEdger posted:

ICW, Rev Pro and Progress all had people there who were shown by name. Expect them to keep working with them. But yeah the terms are pretty much they can work wherever just no IPPV's (ie WCPW) and no tv (So no WOS or would assume 5* wrestling).
I wonder what WWE thinks of WxW? Yeah its German but they've been making waves for the last couple of years, they just booked Bate in their annual 16 carat tourney too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

No Irish Need Imply posted:

What is Blue Peter?

It was a kids show that was big in the 70's/80's/90's so anybody over the age of 30 thinks it was the greatest thing ever and a "British institution" but nobody watches it or cares about it anymore.

• Locked thread