Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Adapted from a manga by Natsume Ono (Ristorante Paradiso, House of Five Leaves), ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. is a show about food.

There are also some government agents, notably a cool guy named Gene the Cigarette Bum (the one with the strawberry).

The anime is being directed by Shingo Natsume (Space Dandy, One-Punch Man) with Tomohiro Suzuki (One-Punch Man, Tiger & Bunny) writing scripts. In addition, the staff has several other animators from Shingo Natsume's previous shows such as Gosei Oda and Kanako Yoshida as Chief ADs and Norifumi Kugai doing character design. So I'd expect a lively and well animated show, though the source material seems fairly laid-back.

For a quick preview of the series' characters and initial conflict, you can read the first two chapters of the manga here.

And for a taste of the show, a PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KLcXHQZyls

It airs Tuesdays at 8am PST (GMT -8) in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and Latin America via Crunchyroll. The first episode premieres January 10th, 2017!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm so hyped for this for some reason. Probably the combination of both Natsumes gives me hope that this will be awesome.

Also Strawberries don't get that big. :regd09:

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Excuse me but what the gently caress is going on here

edit: also slightly disappointed that this isn't about unwed ladies

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 8, 2017

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
Ristorante Paradiso was really good, so I'm going to check this out.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm hype
:stoked:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wallrod posted:

Excuse me but what the gently caress is going on here

edit: also slightly disappointed that this isn't about unwed ladies

Looks like an open faced cucumber and salad cream sandwich, perfectly normal

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i got no idea what this show is about but it is so pretty i don't care

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Julias posted:

I'm so hyped for this for some reason. Probably the combination of both Natsumes gives me hope that this will be awesome.

Also Strawberries don't get that big. :regd09:
They did in He-Man, using both science and magic

a subtle reference indeed

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

This show has a pretty ED.

The rest of it seems pretty good, too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The character designs are really dragging this down for me.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was some sexy auiting

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pretty good premiere! Making the tobacco smuggling all intense seemed kinda out of place tonally, but they then made it way more apparent than the manga that poo poo is going down with the top brass so I guess it's a fine tradeoff. Other than some pretty standard direction and that goofy exposition at the start, I can't find anything else to nitpick. The designs and backgrounds really look great and have a real lived-in feel, somehow. Favorite character so far has to be the cop who is so transparent about tailing Jean. :allears:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Paracelsus posted:

Natsume Ono has a really distinctive way of drawing people, and it tends to turn off a lot of people, understandably so since it's so strikingly bizarre. My introduction to Ono was her Manga "Not Simple", which is a hosed up story, and I felt the weird artstyle added to the experience. I've since checked out a bit of her other works, and in my opinion they style works well for other stories too, but there's a bit of dissonance if you haven't become accustomed to her artstyle.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paracelsus posted:

it begins

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Paracelsus posted:

That's weird, because I felt that this show has some excellent character designs burdened by a lack of characterization.

I'll follow this for a bit though, because I'm curious about the sinister federal fire/ police/ welfare/ roll cake department.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Julias posted:

Natsume Ono has a really distinctive way of drawing people, and it tends to turn off a lot of people, understandably so since it's so strikingly bizarre. My introduction to Ono was her Manga "Not Simple", which is a hosed up story, and I felt the weird artstyle added to the experience. I've since checked out a bit of her other works, and in my opinion they style works well for other stories too, but there's a bit of dissonance if you haven't become accustomed to her artstyle.

This is the first time I've encountered her work, but anything that includes such a variety of facial hair from the bizarre to the mundane must have something going for it.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Paracelsus posted:

This guy's mustache really weirds me out. His face reads really young, but for whatever reason he's got an old man stache.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

I've seen plenty of young people have those kinds of mustaches, though? :confused:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Julias posted:

I've seen plenty of young people have those kinds of mustaches, though? :confused:

They may be young on the outside, but they are old on the inside.

clamp down and keep going
Jun 19, 2013

Amstrad posted:

This guy's mustache really weirds me out. His face reads really young, but for whatever reason he's got an old man stache.

I like how his hair is perfectly parted down the center like is mustache, its symmetrical.

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

Amstrad posted:

that guy's actually God from 10th Dimension Boys

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Amstrad posted:

Yeah, I actually don't mind the character designs by themselves, but everyone kind of looks the same age.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Amstrad posted:

Yeah, he's the biggest offender.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I like the music and the concept and execution. I'm in.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I admit I'm still a tad confused what genre this show is going to be overall, but I quite enjoyed episode 1 so I'm on board.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
This feels like a webcomic that came out of tumblr got made into an anime, if that makes any sense--like the anime-ness of it has been digested before being reconsumed, and it has this particular ATMOSPHERE that I associate with... something like this, to click on the most similar hiveworks ad.

Weird but interesting.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

il-landier posted:

that guy's actually God from 10th Dimension Boys

lmao

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The first ep of this was really cool. Loved everything except the awkward exposition dump at the beginning. The OP and ED are rad.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe by next week we'll finally be free of exposition...even though this week's was decently integrated. Jumoku's giant produce resulting in a district of giants was super weird for how grounded the show has been so far, but it was also really charming (lol, the ACCA dudes who are stationed there just get fat). i hope later districts have something unique like that in the background of Jean's visit. i suppose it's also kinda interesting how we now know Jean's pov hasn't been 100% truthful, given his involvement in a coup we have yet to see him directly support.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Amstrad posted:

Assuming that the show's aesthetic is meant to be "1900's Europe" it's a common style back then.

Mister Olympus posted:

This feels like a webcomic that came out of tumblr got made into an anime, if that makes any sense--like the anime-ness of it has been digested before being reconsumed, and it has this particular ATMOSPHERE that I associate with... something like this, to click on the most similar hiveworks ad.

Weird but interesting.

"Feels like a webcomic" is actually a feeling I can agree with; not in a negative way; just how it feels like its paced and stylized for some strange reason.

dogsicle posted:

maybe by next week we'll finally be free of exposition...even though this week's was decently integrated. Jumoku's giant produce resulting in a district of giants was super weird for how grounded the show has been so far, but it was also really charming (lol, the ACCA dudes who are stationed there just get fat). i hope later districts have something unique like that in the background of Jean's visit. i suppose it's also kinda interesting how we now know Jean's pov hasn't been 100% truthful, given his involvement in a coup we have yet to see him directly support.

Not having read the manga or anything and assuming you haven't either I feel like Jean's perspective has just enough ambiguity that combined with my own hunch probably explains it.

I assume just like in Full Metal Alchemist he's exchanging messages through his cigarettes somehow.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like his catalogs are the bigger suspect when it comes to spreading coded info or something, but the show revealing he gets free cigarettes also makes them suspicious.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 18, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

dogsicle posted:

i feel like his catalogs are the bigger suspect when it comes to spreading coded info or something, but them revealing he gets free cigarettes also makes them suspicious.

I'll laugh if the coup is being instigated by corporate CEO's who want the get rid of "burdensome" taxes.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
this show feels weirdly disjointed to me. is it a political thriller, or a light hearted romp? it kind of slips and slides between the two at will which kind of deflates any tension that's been built up by the political scenes and distracts me from the light hearted scenes because i'm constantly wondering if their some sort of deeper meaning i'm supposed to be taking away from the main character suddenly eating a strawberry the size of his head

i think i'll keep following along even if it stays like this, but it just strikes me as a really strange tone

also when nino mentions that he's been watching for jean for 30 years, is that a mistranslation or typo, or are we meant to take away that he was actually monitoring him for the 15 years before they "met" in highschool?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

also when nino mentions that he's been watching for jean for 30 years, is that a mistranslation or typo, or are we meant to take away that he was actually monitoring him for the 15 years before they "met" in highschool?

Not mistranslated, he does say 30 years. So apparently he has been trailing him since he was 3?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
it's just a way of saying "his whole life"

I really dug episode two! I think I'm starting to get the feel for how all it's different tones meld together, and how it rewards you for paying attention. This is the good poo poo.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Next time: It's a whole different story from the others. WIll he be okay?
:ohdear:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man, it's hard to tell if everyone is kind of dense or if each character is plotting their own separate coup

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm at the edge of my seat.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Is it weird that I was shocked and refreshed by a character in an anime being attracted to an pretty looking older woman?

I mean I probably shouldn't be since this is the last thing from the typical poo poo, but still I was like "HOLY poo poo SOMEONE WITH FUNCTIONAL EYES AND A NON-WARPED SET OF VALUES"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

OnimaruXLR posted:

Is it weird that I was shocked and refreshed by a character in an anime being attracted to an pretty looking older woman?

I mean I probably shouldn't be since this is the last thing from the typical poo poo, but still I was like "HOLY poo poo SOMEONE WITH FUNCTIONAL EYES AND A NON-WARPED SET OF VALUES"

Well I mean there's always SDF Macross!

It really is nice, even with the cloak and dagger stuff the series is very pleasant and comfortable.

• Locked thread