Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
this was a v touching episode, even if the system erected ugliness and exploitation into the relationship between the king and abend (grossular?) and nino's dad and nino and jean and lotta, they were still able to show kindness to one another. what struck jean the harshest wasnt that nino and his father had been observing him since childhood, but the fact that nino lost his father as well. even if the beginnings of their relationship was a lie, the time and feelings were genuine

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 1, 2017

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I really liked how into his job the dad was. He just loved being a secret family chronicler for the King! The scene with Nino watching the news of the train wreck was pretty gut wrenching, but especially his businesslike manner on the phone was excellent.

I thought the princess was going to marry the guard, but he's obviously Grossular. I like that he chose that path for her happiness - he must have truly loved her.

I still feel like the King has manipulated things within ACCA to prepare Jean to rule. I'm suspect the end of the show will be the King's death and the reveal of his "coup" plot that puts Jean in power somehow. But I could be way off base with this!

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
If the rest of the cast weren't so great, nino's dad made an excellent case for being the best character after only one episode.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Also goddamn, repeating high school at age 25 would loving suck.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Not having been reading any fan theories I'm ashamed how long it took me to realize who was who in this episode. I think it was one of the best "these things happened in the past" -episodes I've ever seen.

Most hilarious?

I realized Grossular was Grossular the last. Didn't take long for Nino.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I dunno why y'all think he's Grossular, that's way too straightforward for this show

If he was Grossular's brother, it'd also provide good, interesting motivation for Grossular

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Has the show said anything about Grossular having a brother? Abend being Grossular has basis in things we solidly know (white hair, Nino reports to him) whereas I don't recall mention of a brother beyond a general nod at there being a Grossular family for Nino's to serve. This show is dense enough at times I really could've missed it though.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
We know nino reports to at least two people. And they haven't tipped their hat to him having a brother other than "a lot of people in that district kinda look like Grossular."

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
The ACCA merch train is in full swing, up to and including Badon's favorite bakery: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GOODS-00144357

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

MJP posted:

The ACCA merch train is in full swing, up to and including Badon's favorite bakery: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GOODS-00144357

"Easy to use in the office too thanks to its design that doesn't look like anime goods."

drat, I'm sold

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Added to the montly order.

The tension in this episode totally got me to let my guard down before the twist at the end. Is it next week yet? :(

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I keep being confused about how ridiculously good this show is. :allears:

I think it's my favourite anime in years, a surprise hit in the similar way Chihayafuru was.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Holy poo poo the end! That came out of nowhere! Them being secretly on the same side makes sense to me, but what's-his-name being the one calling the shots? Where's that come from? gently caress this show's good. I'm kind of happy that I'll be out of the country and will have to wait 'til a couple eps have piled up to watch more.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Sadly, none of the merch on amiami really catches my eye. I love this show, I'd really like something from it. Maybe when my next figma releases there'll be something I can add to it to save on shipping.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I don't think it was mentioned here, but the Japanese disc releases will have English subtitles. It's being released in three boxsets (4 episodes per), so it comes in a decent amount cheaper than your typical 2 episode discs. I was going to import them anyway, since I've taken to doing that lately, but I'm kinda worried about this show getting a US release. So a good option if anybody is really after owning/supporting the show.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Has Jean smoked since learning about his lineage? I don't think there was any smoking in this episode.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

Has Jean smoked since learning about his lineage? I don't think there was any smoking in this episode.

iirc he was smoking when he arrived in Peshi. His receiving officer said she'd fish while waiting for him.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I'm glad this show finally got horny.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

dogsicle posted:

I don't think it was mentioned here, but the Japanese disc releases will have English subtitles. It's being released in three boxsets (4 episodes per), so it comes in a decent amount cheaper than your typical 2 episode discs. I was going to import them anyway, since I've taken to doing that lately, but I'm kinda worried about this show getting a US release. So a good option if anybody is really after owning/supporting the show.

Funimation is dubbing it, so I wouldn't be hugely surprised if it got one. It's got pretty boys those shows sell.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

an actual dog posted:

Funimation is dubbing it, so I wouldn't be hugely surprised if it got one. It's got pretty boys those shows sell.

I just worry because it's definitely niche, and I don't see a ton of talk about it in other places (or here for that matter). We still have yet to see how the Funiroll partnership will work for disc releases, and I want to say there have been simuldubs that didn't make the jump in the past. I sure wouldn't mind buying this show twice though.

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
I just discovered this show after someone I follow on Twitter (because they draw gorgeous Yuri on Ice fanart) drew some art of Nino and Jean, so there's at least a little bit of buzz around it. Honestly haven't heard of it anywhere else though and was really happy to find a (admittedly little) thread here! I just ploughed through the series so far - I started on the dub (Jean's dub is *perfect* imo), and had to switch to subs after ep 7 which is usually a bit jarring to me but I'm so invested it really didn't matter. Really, really great stuff. I'm glad I gave it a go after reading the summary on Wikipedia and thinking it sounded like the dullest thing ever. Champing at the bit of the next ep now!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ACCA stuff for sale. Nothing that I really wanted, sadly.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

ACCA stuff for sale. Nothing that I really wanted, sadly.

You should have bought something, to show your loyalty to ACCA

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cantaloupe should buy me the cute microfiber cloths with Jean, Nino, and Magie on them.

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
I'd buy the hell out of a couple of acca patches for my jacket if they existed.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Chedranian Girl posted:

I'd buy the hell out of a couple of acca patches for my jacket if they existed.

Is there a hi-res version of the logo? I know a goon who makes individual patches for crazy reasonable prices. No minimum orders. You want one or two? No problem.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I'd wear a ACCA uniform to a convention. I feel like the Civil Service doesn't get enough love in the west.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

MJP posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda tempted. Mugs are easier for me to justify because it's basically guaranteed I'll end up using it.

It took me a couple episodes to get on this show's wavelength but I'm enjoying it now. There's not much else like it.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Lots of Jean appreciation this week, I really like that Mauve is able to adapt to the situation here.
WHERE IS NINO.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Mauve is so cool :allears:

I also love how Jean is taking this all in stride. I can't even really tell which way he's leaning on the coup.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Liver Disaster posted:

WHERE IS NINO.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
This series has been very chill but I would not mind some action (even just a flurry of political manuvering) when the coup goes down.

I'm especially hoping the rest of Inspection HQ gets a cool moment like when Owl rescued Lotta from the kidnappers. Those ladies may be all about 10:00 snack time, but they in HQ for a reason.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
I almost feel like this show could be used as educational material to demonstrate the inner workings of large bureaucracies; the way everyone kinda has to report to everyone else and it takes time even for what appears to be a fairly efficient, motivated, well funded bureaucracy to get things done because of even minor hiccups is all kinds of enlightening.

The Coup talk was a bit confusing at first because "Okay Prince guy might unqualified and may lead to long term damage to the country but I'm not getting the impetus for why the districts all want a coup" but gradually they reveal the curtain and its like Oh... Some districts apparently are wealthier and more powerful than others and its ACCA giving most districts something remotely resembling a fair shake in the system; and this episode revealed that violence and war is even possible as a worst case that ACCA successfully prevents.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

brainwrinkle posted:

I thought the princess was going to marry the guard, but he's obviously Grossular. I like that he chose that path for her happiness - he must have truly loved her.

Is it Grossular? I felt dumb the entire few eps since I waited for the reveal but everyone in his district had white hair too.

I don't think the King is going to die anytime soon but will probably vanish a bit for the finale. Also why can't Nino marry Lotta since she's not royalty anymore? Other than he just doesn't want to :coffee:

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
It hasn't been explicitly confirmed, but I would be really surprised if it weren't. It makes Jean's meeting with him in his home region more interesting.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Alder posted:

Is it Grossular? I felt dumb the entire few eps since I waited for the reveal but everyone in his district had white hair too.

I don't think the King is going to die anytime soon but will probably vanish a bit for the finale. Also why can't Nino marry Lotta since she's not royalty anymore? Other than he just doesn't want to :coffee:

Well, she is technically still royalty. The claim to the throne is still there and that's what the whole coup deal is about.

But also he's at least 15 years older than her and while that's not a 100% dealbreaker that is a bit off-putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Legally there is supposed to not be a claim because they were removed from the register but that obviously doesn't matter to motivated factions. :D

• Locked thread