Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Adapted from a manga by Natsume Ono (Ristorante Paradiso, House of Five Leaves), ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. is a show about food.

There are also some government agents, notably a cool guy named Gene the Cigarette Bum (the one with the strawberry).

The anime is being directed by Shingo Natsume (Space Dandy, One-Punch Man) with Tomohiro Suzuki (One-Punch Man, Tiger & Bunny) writing scripts. In addition, the staff has several other animators from Shingo Natsume's previous shows such as Gosei Oda and Kanako Yoshida as Chief ADs and Norifumi Kugai doing character design. So I'd expect a lively and well animated show, though the source material seems fairly laid-back.

For a quick preview of the series' characters and initial conflict, you can read the first two chapters of the manga here.

And for a taste of the show, a PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KLcXHQZyls

It airs Tuesdays at 8am PST (GMT -8) in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and Latin America via Crunchyroll. The first episode premieres January 10th, 2017!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pretty good premiere! Making the tobacco smuggling all intense seemed kinda out of place tonally, but they then made it way more apparent than the manga that poo poo is going down with the top brass so I guess it's a fine tradeoff. Other than some pretty standard direction and that goofy exposition at the start, I can't find anything else to nitpick. The designs and backgrounds really look great and have a real lived-in feel, somehow. Favorite character so far has to be the cop who is so transparent about tailing Jean. :allears:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe by next week we'll finally be free of exposition...even though this week's was decently integrated. Jumoku's giant produce resulting in a district of giants was super weird for how grounded the show has been so far, but it was also really charming (lol, the ACCA dudes who are stationed there just get fat). i hope later districts have something unique like that in the background of Jean's visit. i suppose it's also kinda interesting how we now know Jean's pov hasn't been 100% truthful, given his involvement in a coup we have yet to see him directly support.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like his catalogs are the bigger suspect when it comes to spreading coded info or something, but the show revealing he gets free cigarettes also makes them suspicious.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 18, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this week seemed a bit less connected from the actual events of the main story (in a sense) but i'm still coming off the high of Jean being incredibly adorable in ep3, so it's fine. Suitsu and its own little political situation was definitely interesting. i'm also glad the soundtrack still is full of pleasant surprises as we clear the first third of the show.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the political intrigue is good, but this show has made me care much more about seeing the gaggle of idiots fall over themselves trying to woo Lotta.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah i think the theory became really popular around episode 3 because i was hearing it pretty much wherever i went to read/listen to show discussion. didn't really think it would be a thing until they continued dropping the same subtle hints. if last week's episode didn't sell you, this one certainly beat you over the head with it before the reveal.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ranzear posted:

Uh, is the cake thing a joke and this is a totally serious political drama or something?

I hope not.

don't worry, there's plenty of lovely anime food to go with the side dishes of bureaucracy and intrigue

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Has the show said anything about Grossular having a brother? Abend being Grossular has basis in things we solidly know (white hair, Nino reports to him) whereas I don't recall mention of a brother beyond a general nod at there being a Grossular family for Nino's to serve. This show is dense enough at times I really could've missed it though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

MJP posted:

The ACCA merch train is in full swing, up to and including Badon's favorite bakery: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=GOODS-00144357

"Easy to use in the office too thanks to its design that doesn't look like anime goods."

drat, I'm sold

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I don't think it was mentioned here, but the Japanese disc releases will have English subtitles. It's being released in three boxsets (4 episodes per), so it comes in a decent amount cheaper than your typical 2 episode discs. I was going to import them anyway, since I've taken to doing that lately, but I'm kinda worried about this show getting a US release. So a good option if anybody is really after owning/supporting the show.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

Has Jean smoked since learning about his lineage? I don't think there was any smoking in this episode.

iirc he was smoking when he arrived in Peshi. His receiving officer said she'd fish while waiting for him.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

an actual dog posted:

Funimation is dubbing it, so I wouldn't be hugely surprised if it got one. It's got pretty boys those shows sell.

I just worry because it's definitely niche, and I don't see a ton of talk about it in other places (or here for that matter). We still have yet to see how the Funiroll partnership will work for disc releases, and I want to say there have been simuldubs that didn't make the jump in the past. I sure wouldn't mind buying this show twice though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cantaloupe should buy me the cute microfiber cloths with Jean, Nino, and Magie on them.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if anybody was interested in the full ACCA OST or the OP single/B side you can find them there for a listen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yen Press is releasing the ACCA manga in english.

• Locked thread