Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Awesome Games Done Quick is over for this time! Thanks to everyone for raising an absolutely mind-blowing 2.2 million dollars for the Prevent Cancer Foundation! See you for SGDQ and ESA in July!

After a lovely 2016, we go into what is definitely going to become an even shittier 2017 with the traditional marathon, to at least start on a good note!

That is, Awesome Games Done Quick 2017! An annual speedrunning marathon for charity featuring runners from all of your favourite finish games fast websites, such as Speed Demos Archive (SDA), Speedrun.com, SpeedRunsLive and TASVideos, collecting money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. It's the biggest speedrunning event of the year. Every year.

AGDQ2017 is taking place from January 8th to 15th, meaning there'll be a full week of all the good stuff - speedruns and races and tool-assisted magic and great live commentary.

Important links

Schedule: Found here: http://gamesdonequick.com/schedule and it will automagically adjust to your timezone. Figure out when you get to sleep. Probably never. An alternate, slightly different, schedule can be wiewed at: https://horaro.org/agdq/2017

Watch it at: The event is streamed at Twitch, but the marathon event has a specific page that you should use, which is at: http://gamesdonequick.com/ (once the marathon starts, will have stream and chat and all that fancy stuff). The Twitch page is http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick but using the main site is preferable.

Livestreamer is dead, long live Livest... er... Streamlink. As explained by debdrup: If you want to be able to play GDQ, or any, streams in your favorite video player of choice (mpc-hc, mpv, or even vlc), you might want to look into installing Streamlink and the companion Twitch program Streamlink-Twitch-GUI (the latter of which requires a bit of easy configuration). They're rather straight-forward to setup now-a-days, but if you run into trouble, feel free to join us in the goon speedrun channel on irc, and ask - there'll most likely be someone who can help you.

Official recordings will go up eventually, once they have all been processed. A timestamped list of Twitch VODs is going to be maintained here, and to minimize people uploading monetized videos on Youtube during the marathon, GDQ staff will try to get at least temporary versions up on Youtube on their channel as the runs get completed.

Chatting: You should know by now to stay away from Twitch chat. It will be under heavy load either way, and might turn to slow and subscribers only mode if it gets too bad. Instead, you should use IRC, where there's both a GDQ channel and a goon channel:
Server: irc.quakenet.org
Channel: #sdamarathon
Direct link
Quakenet Webchat (Mibbit will not work)

Server: irc.synirc.net
Channel: #speedruns
Direct link
synirc Webchat

There's also a Discord channel if you use that.

Get cool shirts: TheYetee has a variety of cool shirts you can buy for $11 (or $13 for the larger sizes) during the whole event! A percentage of the profit from these shirts will be donated to the charity towards the end of the event. The AGDQ2017 shirts can be found here, and you can get some of the shirts that were featured for previous events here.

=============

The concept of AGDQ

All money collected during Awesome Games Done Quick goes directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation, with nothing going to anyone participating in the event. It's 100% charity. All attendees pay for their own travel and living expenses.

Games Done Quick have hosted a number of very successful marathons for a number of years, with AGDQ2014 being the first marathon to break one million dollars in donations for a single Games Done Quick event. Since the first marathon in 2010, GDQ events have raised a total of over eight million dollars for charity.

As the event grows each year, more work is put into improving the quality of the stream. There's always going to be some hiccups, though, because everyone working with the event is only human. Well, except for TASBot. We're pretty sure UraniumAnchor hasn't fused with the tech station to become a cyborg yet, and despite everything, PJ isn't actually a manifestation of Finagle's law. Probably.

=============

How to donate...

SDA marathons up to and including half of AGDQ2013 used a donation widget known as ChipIn. ChipIn crashed and burned horribly during AGDQ2013, so resident coding superhero SMK reinvented the wheel donation system, creating a standalone system that has been used since, not only by SDA events but by other community marathons as well.

You will be able to leave a comment with your donation. During earlier marathons, all comments were read out on stream, but as more and more donations come in each year, it has become impossible to do so. Therefore, there will be a filtering system in place. In general, this is the idea:

quote:

-The program should auto-filter donations that are less than a dollar, but in case if one slips through, filter it out.

-Some people do not want their names read out loud when they donate. There will be an anonymous flag you can check so that the donation reader doesn't read their name by accident (like we have done often in the past).

-Donations insulting someone should be filtered out.

-If a donation is solely twitch faces, hashtags, or just generally spam, then filter it out.

-On that note, if someone donates a small amount of money just to write a mountain of text, then filter it out. We'll be busy enough reading short donation comments. The only exception we should make for mountains of text is...

-Personal stories relating to our cause should be read.

-If a donation comment is creative and funny then it should be read. Just FYI, while some people might find twich faces funny, they're certainly not creative.

There is also a scrolling ticker for donation comments on the main page. No, they're not going to put that on the stream.

The donation tracker for AGDQ2017 can be found at https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/index/agdq2017.

=============

...and why to donate (aside from the charity)

One of the more popular things to drive donations are the donation incentives and the raffle prizes.

When you donate, you can have your donation go towards one of the many donation incentives that are available for different games. This involves naming characters, selecting different modes, in some cases even choosing which game will be played. All the incentives are available to view on this page of the tracker.

There's always prizes to win, and you can see a list of all of them in the tracker as well. Prizes come in two categories - regular and grand. Regular prizes you get entered into the drawing for if you make a donation of the minimum amount specified, mostly between $5 and $10, with a single outlier at $100 (a prize pack worth about $2k monies), during the specified game or game block. Grand prizes you get one chance to win per specified donated total throughout the entire event. Usually up to three tickets for each person, most likely the same this year.

Now, what is there to win?

Sweet stuff.

Hylian shield blanket!

Pikathor print!

A crocheted katamari!

Mega Man X pogs! (holy poo poo, who the hell remembers pogs?)

A NES Classic!

Whatever the hell this is (listed as "AGDQ 2017 Catbag")!

And as always, assorted perlers!

And the grand prize for AGDQ2017 is a PS4 Pro, with a buy-in at $75.

And a whole lot of other cool trinkets and doodads. Just check the list in the tracker.

=============

FAQ:
Q: What runs should I watch?
A: Nobody can really conclusively answer this question. Just study the schedule! AwfulGDQ and TASbot demonstrations are standing recommendations for every event, though. As always, there'll be some attempts at getting some recommendations into the second post as the marathon progresses.

Q: Will ____ be there this year?
A: Check the schedule. If they're not listed as a runner or commentator, it doesn't really matter if they're there or not. There's been some, let's say, controversial runners/commentators in the past - it's for the best if we don't bring that up.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because there's simply not enough room for it. AGDQ has grown so much that it's not even remotely possible to let everyone who wants to attend have a game on the schedule anymore. There's going to be hundreds of people there, and while not all of them are runners, many games and people have had to be cut from the schedule to fit it into a weeklong marathon.

Q: Why didn't they read my donation comment?
A: The amount of comments is far, far too high for it to be even remotely possible to read them all. If you were planning on donating just to have your comment read on air, perhaps you should rethink your reasons for donating.

Q: What's this about GDQ banning fun?
A: Just a silly misconception. There's no fun police, and certainly no rules in place that state everything has to be super serious and clinical. A rule that is in place is that people on camera who aren't the runner shouldn't be taking focus or attention away from the run or the runner(s). When you're an event the size of GDQ, allowing people to do whatever they want on camera just isn't possible.

Q: Where is this happening?
A: AGDQ2017 takes place in the Hilton Washington Dulles Airport Hotel in Herndon, VA.

=============

And last but not least: We're here for the speedruns and the speedrun chat, so leave the drama at the door. Talking about things that happen at this event is (to a certain degree) okay in this thread, but don't let minor incidents get blown up into something they're not, and do not dredge up things that happened at past GDQs, or at other marathons entirely, or on other twitch streams or Twitter or pastebin or whatever just to start poo poo. Be respectful towards the runners, the commentators, and all of the GDQ staff, everyone who puts in so much of their time to put on this event for you to enjoy. Who did what with who and why and where isn't relevant to the speedruns.

In short: Don't be Reddit.

And if there's anything you're wondering about, about the event or the organization, just ask! There are a couple of goons that are directly involved with the event to different degrees, some of which are working on site, and many more who are involved with the speedrunning community in general. So there's plenty of people who are able to answer your questions!

Let's have a good marathon together!

And now, a song

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Run recommendations from various people
- Ocarina of Time 3D by benstephens56. Very broken game, lots of glitches.
- Shovel Knight race by Smaugy and MunchaKoopas. Extremely tight race by two fantastic runners.
- Mega Man race by coolkid, dxtr, endy and WhiteHat. Even extremerly tighter race by four fantastic runners.
- Metal Gear Solid 2 by Jaguar King. The strategies to get through each room were really cool, "okay gonna knock on this wall at this exact time then run over and hold up this person for a frame and then we can pass by".
- Silent Hill 4: The Room by AnEternalEnigma.
- Hitman: Blood Money by SaintMillion. A lot of really funny AI manipulation.
- Kalimba by DevilSquirrel. Solo co-op should really tell you everything you need to know.
- New Super Hook Girl by djw. Short grappling hook game with high difficulty.
- Salt & Sanctuary by Grimelios. At least catch the Any Unicorn% which takes just a few minutes, it's hilarious.
- Blaster Master race by Skavenger216 and ShiningDragoon. Entertaining game, good commentary, and a surprise glitch.
- Ninja Gaiden pacifist race & Ninja Gaiden II pacifist by dxtr and Gusmancini. Ninja Gaiden runs are always impressive, and pacifist version is even more ridiculous.
- Adventure Island 4 by puchiedarcy. Interesting watch with good commentary, cute sprites, and neat glitches.
- Jazz Jackrabbit by CapnClever. Insanely fast and the commentary was excellent and always seemed to have something interesting to say.
- Road Trip Adventure by Konasumi. An endearing and weird little car adventure thing.
- Super Metroid Rotation by Feral5x. You like Super Metroid? How about Super Metroid when the floor is now the left wall? Should need no introduction, really.
- Classic Mario races by darbian, Kosmicd12 and andrewg. Great commentary and play all around, with some hilarious and tense moments.
- Kabuki Quantum Fighter by Mithical9. Mithical9 gives his own hero's journey, tying it back to the history of the event, indirectly summarizing the communal nature of speedrunning, and does some sick tricks, all in 11 minutes.
- The Krion Conquest by badbrakes. A weird Mega Man-inspired game. It's sadly linear but has some fun glitches.
- River City Ransom by yelsraek. Quick speed run of a classic beat-em-up.
- Little Samson by Xdragon. Zipping all the way, abusing different character sizes to get into the wall.
- The Addams Family by garbanzoguy. Very short run. Does things that were meant to be impossible (though, honestly, most speedruns do that).
- Bishi Bashi Special by T3tsuya. Utterly bizarre mini-game collection thing. Has some pretty hilarious things to see. It's worth a try!
- Castlevania: Rondo of Blood race by Skavenger216 and Komrade. Playing a character that you can actually control in a classic Castlevania game makes for a fast-paced race, and you'll never guess what Dracula's weakness is.
- Mega Man X race by Domalix, Calebhart42, CrystalUnclear and Walrus_prime. Mega Man X races are usually great and tense and close, and this year was no exception.
- Mighty No. 9 by GreenZSaber. Makes a bad game look almost passable, and ends in the only appropriate way.
- Goddamn everything in Awful Games Done Quick (starts with Batman Forever and ends with either Cornerstone or Fortified Zone). This shouldn't need any explanation at this point.
- Turok: Dinosaur Hunter by Bawkbasoup. Very fast-paced FPS. Intense run with some near-death moments and a ton of extremely precise first-person platforming.
- Mystery Game Tournament. Four runners enter, one runner leaves.
- Trauma Center: New Blood co-op by Irisjoker and Slurpeeninja.
- Sonic Adventure 2: Battle by Seraphim1313. Great run, good commentary, and plenty of audience participation!
- Sonic Adventure DX by JerKro. Because of BIG THE CAT.
- Bleed by Studio.
- Snailiad by Bismuth. "It's Metroid with snails."
- Woolfe: The Red hood diaries by RandomPinkBunny. Good commentary, good execution, nice game.
- DuckTales race by Endy and garadas21. Without spoiling too much, one of the greatest races in GDQ history. A must-see.
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire by glasnonck. Nice run with a history lesson.
- The Contra block. Good Contra 1 race, amaxing glitched Contra III run, and very nice runs inbetween.
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando race by Xem and Skitz. A good race with good commentary and good energy.
- Kirby Super Star race by Countdown42, usedpizza, zzzhonki and suzuribaco. Japan vs. US! Who'll come out on top?
- Donkey Kong Country trilogy relay race by Eazinn, V0oid, Nocturne_, Fathlo23, Silent Wolf, Supreme, Kanis999, waffle42 and suzuribaco. Nine runners, three games, two and a half hours. How could it be anything but amazing?
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City by KZ_FREW.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom by SHiFT.
- Super Dram World by grandpoobear. One of thsoe rear end in a top hat ROM hacks, run very well, and with the hacker himself on the couch.
- Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels 2 players 1 controller by Big Jon and andrewg. Maybe more of a comedy show than a speedrun, but nobody's complaining.
- TAS Block by dwangoAC. "Each year, TASBlock is becoming less of a speedrunning event and more of a weird art installation."
- Undertale by TGH. A fantastic finale with a very broken game.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 16, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just set up Streamlink and StreamLinkGui, which was simple enough for even me, so anyone should be able to do it.

Last time I tested LivestreamerGui it worked fine so I think this one should too.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
First.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm ready.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FULL HOUR of TASBot hell yeah!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I'm hoping for both equal amounts of awesome gaming moments and awkward weird poo poo.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

AwfulGDQ is looking solid this year. Especially looking forward to Peaches' Catechumen run followed by wolfquest

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

catechumen should own cuz peaches got new WRs twice yesterday and found a new strat or two

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

baram. posted:

catechumen should own cuz peaches

Coulda just stopped there really.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

baram. posted:

catechumen should own cuz peaches got new WRs twice yesterday and found a new strat or two

poo poo, I knew I should have caught that practice stream.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Leg still broken, still gonna watch this all week.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Why are there two threads, is there a pastebin explaining this?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
This is the no fun allowed thread.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

hanales posted:

Why are there two threads, is there a pastebin explaining this?

The other thread focuses on some weird meme, this one is for general AGDQ discussion.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The other one already has like four pages of posts and folks like UraniumAnchor are already posting in that one, so it might be the preferred GDQ Post Zone.

Geight fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 8, 2017

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

In short: I was working on the informative AGDQ thread as usual, deliberately waiting with posting it until the same day it would start (and had said as much in the speedrun thread), since last time when I posted it a day or so before there were several pages of dumb stuff before the stream even started. While I was waiting and polishing the OP, someone posted that other thread, centered entirely around a one-note joke and inviting drama talk.

So, I mean, if it means the people who are more interested in what attendees do with each other off stream than the actual speedruns keep themselves to that thread, then I'm all for it.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Regarding youtube uploads: As has been the case for the last three events, we're going to be uploading the stream recordings to YT immediately following the run, but they may not be tagged/public until somebody on staff has the chance to check them. Should be within 24 hours of the run.

I actually brought my encoding tools with me on my laptop this time, so I might be able to get some of the finalized recordings ready even before I leave. Not all of them, though, because generally speaking it takes me about 2-3 weeks to get everything fixed up to my satisfaction.

Now with that out of the way...

TWO HOURS TO GO.

GET loving HPYE.

hoip can go die in a fire

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I like this thread. It's a good thread.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

There's nothing wrong with a quieter, nicer AGDQ thread.

e: I will confess though that I unironically enjoy the rallying cry of HOIP and am sad to see it fall out of favor :ohdear:

Geight fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 8, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The YouTube uploads were pretty fast last time, IIRC. So kudos to UA and whoever is working hard to get them online as fast as they can.

Especially when I know I'm already gonna miss a lot of good stuff tonight like Shovel Knight and Mega Man.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Repostin': only one PJ run, this is the darkest timeline

least it's batman forever. if we were in the proper timeline though, it'd be the Sega Saturn brawler version of Batman Forever

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Geight posted:

There's nothing wrong with a quieter, nicer AGDQ thread.

:yeah:

even though I'm guilty of posting way too much in the previous *GDQ threads

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Hello alternative AGDQ 2017 thread. I look forward to having some good, chill times with all of you

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

GDQ Chill Thread has a nice ring to it. Although it is a darn shame that this also doesn't have a racing tag.

I think this year's schedule looks pretty good!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

One hour to go!

Well, until the pre-show. One and a half to the first run.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Also just FYI: Nothing I say should be taken as official anything.

Unless it has to do with either the recordings, or the tracker website. In that case, I answer only to God. :colbert:

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Can't say that I care about Ape Escape, but whatever, it's the first run of the marathon, so I'll watch it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Dunban posted:

Can't say that I care about Ape Escape, but whatever, it's the first run of the marathon, so I'll watch it.

It's cool and good, I assure you.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Dunban posted:

I never had a PSX and never cared/played these games either but I've gotten to like them as runs cause there's lots of messing up the AI and breaking the game via jumping things you shouldn't.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I just set up Streamlink and StreamLinkGui, which was simple enough for even me, so anyone should be able to do it.

Last time I tested LivestreamerGui it worked fine so I think this one should too.

I'm going to be trying these out for this marathon.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I don't really follow speedruns outside these events (but I did watch RTA Japan and also ESA when it's up) so feel free to give some insight on what runs on some lesser known games would make for a good potential viewing. Of course there's bound to be some surprises too, but to prepare a bit, since many of these titles are really unknown to me (especially since they still did not update the platforms on the schedule!)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Dunban posted:

The first one is the best game on the PlayStation, and the second is great too.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Stream is up!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the op of this thread tried to tell me that classic shmups such as r-type and gradius are bad games. hence i will not post beyond this first post in this thread because of the ridiculously, insultingly bad opinions of the person who posted it.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I'm not familiar with OoT 3D speed runs. How do they compare with the original OoT?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Accordion guy steals the (pre)show!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Accordion% is neat. Hoping for a compilation at the end, since it said part 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I wanna see more of Accordion Man

• Locked thread