Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Randomly rotate the screen every five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think it's time they let The Binding of Isaac take over as the final race instead of Super Metroid.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Rirse posted:

That or SGDQ has the big Super Metroid race be with Rotation. I would say Randomizer, but honestly that won't work in a speed run.
what are you saying? people race randomizer all the time

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Your Computer posted:

I think it's time they let The Binding of Isaac take over as the final race instead of Super Metroid.

They want it last because save/kill is a massive money maker. But they need rock solid commentary for it to work, and it wasn't there this year

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I respectfully disagree

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Computer posted:

ah yes, a race that can be won or lost by RNG in the first five minutes of an hour long run, that's exactly what I want in a final race

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 16, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't take it anymore! :negative: I posted in the wrong thread, that was supposed to be a funny joke!

I've brought shame upon my family.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

IcePhoenix posted:

ah yes, a race that can be won or lost by RNG in the first five minutes of an hour long run, that's exactly what I want in a final race

dude they added seeded runs a long time ago

not that I would give it a marquee slot though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CrashCat posted:

That's good then. That one race a couple years ago just made me not care about it any more so I didn't realize.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CrashCat posted:

not that I would give it a marquee slot though

Yeah last time they did a seed run, it was a Azrael getting a ton of broken items dull run.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the couch and announcer for Super Metroid weren't good, which was even worse because 100% is a boring category; the solution is to do Metroid better, tho.

I'd be fine with an Isaac RNG four-way race during off hours. I think it would be more interesting than people suspect even if 2/4 racers got hosed over by RNG on the first couple floors. We've literally had a Super Metroid race be decided at Phantoon because one of the racers died, and there's a much lower chance of that person coming back to win than somebody who gets a few poo poo item pulls on Isaac.

I watch GDQ to be entertained foremost. If you wanna see a game played optimally you can watch a TAS.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
After watching the rotation run I fully support replacing the traditional race with a rotation race for an event or two to break the monotony.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
No one runs seeded Isaac. If you take out the decision making about what items to pick up when then Isaac is a very boring game. Managing RNG is literally why the game is interesting.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The idea is to give every entrant in the race the same seed for balance, but that seed would be randomised so that they're all still blind.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'll put another recommendation out for Action Henk. As the commentator described it: "It's Trials without the bike". Fast-paced, fun, good commentary from the couch.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

AlphaKretin posted:

The idea is to give every entrant in the race the same seed for balance, but that seed would be randomised so that they're all still blind.

Sounds like an exercise in strategic screen-looking.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

wizard on a water slide posted:

Yeah the couch and announcer for Super Metroid weren't good, which was even worse because 100% is a boring category; the solution is to do Metroid better, tho.

I'd be fine with an Isaac RNG four-way race during off hours. I think it would be more interesting than people suspect even if 2/4 racers got hosed over by RNG on the first couple floors. We've literally had a Super Metroid race be decided at Phantoon because one of the racers died, and there's a much lower chance of that person coming back to win than somebody who gets a few poo poo item pulls on Isaac.

I watch GDQ to be entertained foremost. If you wanna see a game played optimally you can watch a TAS.

Isaac has bombed at like, every single GDQ it's ever been ran at. I'm prepared to call it, it's just not a good marathon game. I don't even think it's a good speedgame period, let alone marathon game but I cannot imagine an Isaac race working out in any format, even seeded.

Doc Hawkins posted:

This guy gets it, and incidentally you've also tapped into the reason seeded Isaac SRL races got lovely.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think Crypt of the Necrodancer is the only Roguelike that's actually been run with some success at the GDQs, unless I'm forgetting another one.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Vermain posted:

I think Crypt of the Necrodancer is the only Roguelike that's actually been run with some success at the GDQs, unless I'm forgetting another one.

That run was also loving batshit crazy

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Vermain posted:

Was Spelunky ran at any point? I swear I remember seeing it on schedules but I don't think I ever watched it if it was.

I might be conflating schedules with submissions here.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Isaac has bombed at like, every single GDQ it's ever been ran at. I'm prepared to call it, it's just not a good marathon game. I don't even think it's a good speedgame period, let alone marathon game but I cannot imagine an Isaac race working out in any format, even seeded.

This guy gets it, and incidentally you've also tapped into the reason seeded Isaac SRL races got lovely.

It's easy to prevent the runners from seeing each other's screens, though? Not saying is a good speedrun game, but that one problem is easy to solve.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Spongebob is one of the sleeper hits of agdq in my opinion. It's a really interesting run with a lot of cool tricks, the couch is really informative and the runner seems to hit most of his tricks while providing solid commentary. It was an early run so it was kinda low energy, but it's definitely worth a watch.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Would screen looking be that bad? Surely it'll just be a minor bit of rubber banding.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Fangz posted:

Would screen looking be that bad? Surely it'll just be a minor bit of rubber banding.

Looking at other people's streams while racing the game online already kinda totally breaks the point of racing seeded and that entails some degree of stream delay.

plus it's just kind of loving lame

Elman posted:

It's easy to prevent the runners from seeing each other's screens, though? Not saying is a good speedrun game, but that one problem is easy to solve.

Sure, but that's a really weird provision for a speedrun race to even need.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Isaac races have an audience and community, but it has consistently failed to resonate with the GDQ crowd. Admittedly they've only done Rebirth once, but I really don't have high hopes for it.

Also the nature of the game probably makes it a harder sell as GDQ gets more mainstream attention.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

This argument is so dumb it literally makes my head hurt.

This argument is so dumb you could solve it with a loving piece of cardboard.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Your Computer posted:

This argument is so dumb it literally makes my head hurt.

This argument is so dumb you could solve it with a loving piece of cardboard.

And yet it was the exact reason seeded races didn't take off much on SRL. In person, sure but I don't see it even getting submitted if it has no footholding in that community.

I also still don't think it'd be a good idea anyway.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see Isaac run at GDQ either way..

.. But you gotta agree that "we can't run this because our community is literally too juvenile not to screenlook" is hilarious.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Your Computer posted:

.. But you gotta agree that "we can't run this because our community is literally too juvenile not to screenlook" is hilarious.

It is! But it's also literally the reality.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
Isaac is a bad speedgame because items are RNG and there are a few items that are OP as gently caress so if you want a really good time you basically have to reset until you get one.

Isaac is an okay racing game because you only need to beat one other person's RNG, not the RNG of everyone who has ever run the game. An important part of racing strategy is knowing what your opponent is doing so you can decide between pushing forward or pushing for a better build. Because you only need to beat one opponent the amount of control you do have over your build comes into play, and good racers can win pretty consistently. Even then sometimes poo poo just goes sideways though.

Isaac is probably a bad marathon game because if you don't understand the floor progression or what the items do then you won't understand why racers make the decisions they do. Its just not a very accessible game if you don't know what's going on.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I mean, there are a million games that could hypothetically be used for racing. It's just that none of them have the draw of Super Metroid, except maybe Super Mario 64.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If there were more than 2 people in the world who were actually good at Dustforce that'd be hype as hell, race-wise.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Samuel Clemens posted:

I mean, there are a million games that could hypothetically be used for racing. It's just that none of them have the draw of Super Metroid, except maybe Super Mario 64.

I only caught bits and pieces of the Sunshine race (Sunshine isn't my cup of tea, mind you), but from what I saw, all four runners were having a good time, joking around with each other, and all rather carefree about it. Contrast to WE MUST BE SUPER SERIOUS ABOUT THIS with Super Metroid.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Wasn't half the reason they moved to headsets with mics so that the runners could hear over the crowd noise?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sir Tonk posted:

Wasn't half the reason they moved to headsets with mics so that the runners could hear over the crowd noise?

Likely, but even then when the room is full, you're still going to hear it. I understand "Hey, we need serious time for Metroid skip" or even Phantoon because both are hard to do. But when the commentary is absolute crap, the audience is going to get restless and we get the silliness.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Was Spelunky ran at any point? I swear I remember seeing it on schedules but I don't think I ever watched it if it was.

I might be conflating schedules with submissions here.

It was and the run went fine, but it wasn't a really spectacular run, either. Spelunky has the advantage that virtually every configuration can be quickly run to a conclusion. You might not be able to get to the hidden boss fast, but pretty much the only way to have a run not completable at Olmec in five minutes is if it somehow doesn't spawn any bombs beyond your starter or a pick. Okay, technically there's a two or three "impossible" configurations that can come up (impossible without bombs or a way to go up and back down two levels safely when you didn't know in advance that there was a massive void in the level) and those are absurdly rare as well.

I recall Risk of Rain getting run a few times and neither of those runs going well either.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The crowd and commentary makes AGDQ. If I want serious time for metroid I can just watch oatsngoats stream or something.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

iospace posted:

I only caught bits and pieces of the Sunshine race (Sunshine isn't my cup of tea, mind you), but from what I saw, all four runners were having a good time, joking around with each other, and all rather carefree about it. Contrast to WE MUST BE SUPER SERIOUS ABOUT THIS with Super Metroid.

it was one of the top runs for sure

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

tweet my meat posted:

Spongebob is one of the sleeper hits of agdq in my opinion. It's a really interesting run with a lot of cool tricks, the couch is really informative and the runner seems to hit most of his tricks while providing solid commentary. It was an early run so it was kinda low energy, but it's definitely worth a watch.

I heard it was legitimate speedgame so I went to watch the world record on speedruns.com by the guy who ran it this year before agdq.

Dude seemed like a huge rear end in a top hat in the video so I intentionally skipped his run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Forer posted:

Dude seemed like a huge rear end in a top hat in the video so I intentionally skipped his run.

He was a pretty normal guy at AGDQ, it's a good run.

• Locked thread