Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

Sounds like an exercise in strategic screen-looking.

This is actually the intention in roguelike races; players keep their opponent's stream open to check. It sounds weird but it's kinda necessary to keep the player who falls behind from being at a completely insurmountable disadvantage. With stream watching they'll at least know whether they can skip going for an item or not (and they'll know whether they're behind at all, too). I haven't watched much Isaac racing myself, but I like Necrodancer races and they do the same thing there.

I'm not gonna argue with anyone who thinks it's stupid, though. I was the same way until I started watching Necrodancer and thought "well, this is still fun to watch so maybe it's okay".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
In the Necrodancer GDQ run the commentator explicitly said screen-looking was a valid and accepted strategy for pretty much that reason: once you fall behind it's basically the only way to keep you in the race. And Necrodancer runs are, what, six minutes long? So you don't exactly have a lot of time to regain lost ground.

It seems kind of dumb until you realize that nobody whatsoever enjoys races where the first person to make a mistake loses.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 16, 2017

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well then, Undertale watched and hopefully I'll get to see that recap video at the end with sound some time. The recommendations list has been updated. Some runs have no descriptions, because I didn't see those runs and there weren't any in the thread (or I missed them). Feel free to write good ones. And if you find there to be any glaring omissions in the list, make a case for what I should add and why.

And man.

$2,218,120.30.

Rising every time I've looked at the tracker since the end of the marathon.

That is loving insane.

I didn't think two million would come some marathon soon. I really thought, after the last couple, that 1.3 mil was the plateau. Not a bad plateau, but to make almost a million more than that... it's just mindblowing. Wow.

So thanks to all of the thread participants too. This might be the best GDQ thread we've ever had, because it was actually possible to follow along for the entire marathon and it didn't get cluttered up with stupid drama.

But I never meant for it to be forbidden to talk about anything else than the speedruns. I said no drama, what I meant was let's not spend ten pages talking about every little minor incident that shows up on twitter or pastebin or Reddit or what-have-you to clutter up the thread beyond rescue in favour of talking about the run. Incidents happen. At an event this size, they'll always happen (lots of nerds in one place leads to some people doing dumb stuff, who would have thought?). Everything surrounding the Ape Escape 2 run happened. The Super Metroid commentary happened. We can talk about that, just don't blow it up too much. Also saw some posts getting apologized for being in the "wrong" thread, posts that there was no problem with.

Man.

All I want with these threads is to have an informative and useful thread where people can talk about the event. I'll be making the SGDQ and ESA threads in the same vein, with the same idea behind them. Probably by copy-pasting most of this thread's OP and changing relevant details, because I'm nothing if not lazy.

It's a speedrunning event for a good cause (okay, so GDQs these days are more of charity events where the content is speedrunning). That's where I want to keep the focus. I want to keep the conversation on a reasonable level, with respect for the staff and the runners and everyone who puts in their time to put this on (yes, I agree that the two people responsible for the Ape Escape incident kind of lost any respect they should have been given otherwise). But it doesn't have to be super serious all the time. We can make fun of silly things that happen. We can comment on things like the sound issues.

Bah.

idk for how long this thread will be a sticky. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Thanks to all the IRC goons too, #speedruns is one of the best places to hang out during the marathon. Speaking of IRC, finally got ops over in #sdamarathon too. Only had to kick, like, three people in total.

And to all two GDQ staff that might read this: Thank you for the event! Mostly great job as usual.

Two point two million.

I still don't believe it.

Great timing for this AGDQ, too. Today I started my final semester of university. It's been a good way to start out the year.

I really need to pick up my own speedrunning more.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I think this thread was fine. The other thread was exactly what it was intended to be - the shitposting live comments thread and drama magnet - and it worked out perfectly. Make sure to go check out the explosion of GIFs that happened when the tracker hit $2 million. :lol:

The Recommended Runs list looks on-point so far. I still have a lot to go back and catch up on, but I'll make sure to mention if anything should be added.

Also, if you're planning to add a "Runs to Skip" list, make sure the Super Metroid race is on there. :v:

edit: I just realized that Sega Bass Fishing should be on the good runs list, right after Salt & Sanctuary. Very short and goofy game with hilarious crowd reactions.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 16, 2017

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Forer posted:

I heard it was legitimate speedgame so I went to watch the world record on speedruns.com by the guy who ran it this year before agdq.

Dude seemed like a huge rear end in a top hat in the video so I intentionally skipped his run.

He was pretty chill at gdq so maybe you just caught him on a bad day.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Here's how you do a good Binding of Isaac race: have the organisers find an interesting seed, then give it to the runners and commentators to route and practice a week in advance. Suddenly there's no possibility of the race being lopsided, it won't be boring since the seed presumably has interesting items, and screen-looking becomes a complete non-issue. The reason the only seeded Binding of Isaac race we've had at a GDQ was poo poo was that the seed was the fastest known and completely trivialised the game, which also becomes a non-issue.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

Here's how you do a good Binding of Isaac race: have the organisers find an interesting seed, then give it to the runners and commentators to route and practice a week in advance. Suddenly there's no possibility of the race being lopsided, it won't be boring since the seed presumably has interesting items, and screen-looking becomes a complete non-issue. The reason the only seeded Binding of Isaac race we've had at a GDQ was poo poo was that the seed was the fastest known and completely trivialised the game, which also becomes a non-issue.

Isaac with predetermined items is really loving boring though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
its okay for a game to not be played at gdq guys, ya don 't have to keep making up ways to try to make issac runable

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
now having said that, let me tell you why big jon should run nes golf at sgdq

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mandatory lesbian posted:

bigjon should run every game at sgdq including ones he's never even seen before

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

mandatory lesbian posted:

that's different, big jon is likable, unlike anyone that plays binding of isaac

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Cubey posted:

bigjon should run every game at sgdq including ones he's never even seen before

:agreed:

Subscribed to his Twitch channel so hard after the Lost Levels run.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno if two threads were necessary in terms of what was discussed in them, but I sure found it a lot easier to recommend runs and search for recommendations in this one. Maybe we could have a similar setup in the future as well.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Undertale is a great game but (and I hate to be the contrary fucker here) it really doesn't work as a speedgame. Undertale is acclaimed for its story and the unique way in which it is presented. The actual gameplay is alright but without the plot weaving through everything UT would be a very uninteresting game. Viewed from a speedrunning perspective, well, the PCE trick is cute (and technically challenging on account of the very tight timing) but beyond that there isn't much technique to it other than "Use four buttons to mash through dialog absurdly quickly because there is no limit to how fast you can skip it". Also all the bosses except for the game's beginning and end are skipped over totally, so what little gameplay there is is almost entirely absent.

It's actually kind of unfortunate because it seems a lot of people watching the stream didn't know anything about the game before and seeing it smashed open like that ruins the impact that it would have if you play through it blind, normally.

Don't get me wrong though, TGH really made it work as well as he could, and his marathon performance was a tremendous improvement on his YouTube stream captures where he's ironically cursing constantly like an edgy twelve year old. He brought his A game and the marathon commentary during that run (with one notable exception) was also really good at explaining the techniques being used.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sapozhnik posted:

Undertale is a great game but (and I hate to be the contrary fucker here) it really doesn't work as a speedgame. Undertale is acclaimed for its story and the unique way in which it is presented. The actual gameplay is alright but without the plot weaving through everything UT would be a very uninteresting game. Viewed from a speedrunning perspective, well, the PCE trick is cute (and technically challenging on account of the very tight timing) but beyond that there isn't much technique to it other than "Use four buttons to mash through dialog absurdly quickly because there is no limit to how fast you can skip it". Also all the bosses except for the game's beginning and end are skipped over totally, so what little gameplay there is is almost entirely absent.

It's actually kind of unfortunate because it seems a lot of people watching the stream didn't know anything about the game before and seeing it smashed open like that ruins the impact that it would have if you play through it blind, normally.

Don't get me wrong though, TGH really made it work as well as he could, and his marathon performance was a tremendous improvement on his YouTube stream captures where he's ironically cursing constantly like an edgy twelve year old. He brought his A game and the marathon commentary during that run (with one notable exception) was also really good at explaining the techniques being used.

I don't think many people were claiming it was a good speed game, but it definitely was one of the better runs on the final day (that I saw). DS3 ran into problems (it's a souls game, when aren't there things going wrong in the most hilarious/bad way possible?), sure, and Wind Waker was a good "keep in the background" sort of thing but nothing forcing you to turn it off. Super Metroid was... a wet fart. The audience made it somewhat entertaining until it lead to pretty much the clearest cut ban in the history of GDQs.

Oh, and TAS Bot was loving awesome.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

It's not even the first time there's been more than one AGDQ thread, it was just that they were both in the same subforum and the meme one was made first. The only other time a separate drama thread was made, probably after I asked people to not bring the drama too much, it happened later during the event.

And, I mean, if it keeps the people who still think it's hilarious to make fun of people playing video games for charity in their own little corner, I'm all for doing that. Even if the other kind of thread probably would fit better for Imp Zone.

I wasn't really sure about Undertale as the finale when I saw the schedule, despite True Pacifist ending being a really good and uplifting ending, but after watching the run today I stand corrected. I thought it really did work, the run was good and was a pretty good way to round it up. So it's an RPG and there's really only one thing that all speed tricks are based on, but with that trick it becomes so short that I didn't feel it overstayed it's welcome. It definitely did work, at least this time. Despite the donations it brought it I don't really think it warrants repeating at a marathon unless new tech is found.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I kinda think there isn't a 'despite the donations', rather it's 'entirely the donations' :v:

It's probably hard to tell if it was the game or just the way the event went that it brought in so much money, but if it does, you ride that loving horse until it's dead. The goal here is raising as many bucks as possible for charity, so anything that does that is good, I'd say that's the #1 goal above showcasing cool technical speedruns.

I wonder if UA and co are doing any sort of analysis to try to figure out what games, formats, and donation incentives bring in the most viewers and donations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Your Computer posted:

This argument is so dumb it literally makes my head hurt.

This argument is so dumb you could solve it with a loving piece of cardboard.

I wasn't presenting an argument against it; it actually sounded a bit interesting to me. There are entire games purposefully built around "tactical" screenlooking, so why not a race based on something similar?

Pigbuster posted:

This is actually the intention in roguelike races; players keep their opponent's stream open to check. It sounds weird but it's kinda necessary to keep the player who falls behind from being at a completely insurmountable disadvantage. With stream watching they'll at least know whether they can skip going for an item or not (and they'll know whether they're behind at all, too). I haven't watched much Isaac racing myself, but I like Necrodancer races and they do the same thing there.

I'm not gonna argue with anyone who thinks it's stupid, though. I was the same way until I started watching Necrodancer and thought "well, this is still fun to watch so maybe it's okay".

Yeah, like that. :)

But if it's been done before and it sucked, that's the ultimate argument against it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The event lives and dies on good gaming-feels; Undertale could have been purpose-built for it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

I wasn't presenting an argument against it; it actually sounded a bit interesting to me. There are entire games purposefully built around "tactical" screenlooking, so why not a race based on something similar?

Yeah, like that. :)

But if it's been done before and it sucked, that's the ultimate argument against it.

Ah, gotcha. It has just been used as a legitimate argument before re: Binding of Isaac, like it's this insurmountable obstacle and I just find it so perplexing. We solved that stuff back when we were kids and played split-screen games, y'know!

but BoI shouldn't be run at GDQ anyway because

RyokoTK posted:

that's different, big jon is likable, unlike anyone that plays binding of isaac

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Having seen Big Jon run Mario Golf several times I am unironically convinced it could work at GDQ.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

And, I mean, if it keeps the people who still think it's hilarious to make fun of people playing video games for charity in their own little corner, I'm all for doing that. Even if the other kind of thread probably would fit better for Imp Zone.

I think the other thread was very tame this year and we mostly just made fun of the assholes trying to ruin the event. I do appreciate the effort you put into these threads and it was nice to have a less active place for more serious discussion instead of a TVIV.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yeah I should probably mention I didn't look in the other thread after just checking it when it was newly posted, so I'm mostly basing that on stupid stuff that has gone on in GDQ threads in the past and, well, the fact that the OP of that thread invited talk about cucking and drama. I decided pretty quickly I didn't want to know what would be going on so I stayed away from it entirely. I certainly rolled my eyes at some of the stuff some people did on camera too.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I think the other thread was very tame this year and we mostly just made fun of the assholes trying to ruin the event. I do appreciate the effort you put into these threads and it was nice to have a less active place for more serious discussion instead of a TVIV.

Yup, it was more of a live reaction thread than anything else. Nobody in there was actually making fun of speedrunning or the event; anyone that did was ignored completely or met with :frogout:

Whatever you want to call them, having a Slow Thread and a Fast Thread was a very good move.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Whatever you want to call them, having a Slow Thread and a Fast Thread was a very good move.

Agreed, this is a smart way to do things. You can have meta speedrun/GDQ talk here, or more serious questions, plus lists of good vods, and live reaction chat and throwaway shitposting in the other thread (which is fun, but drowns out the other kind of posts).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Yeah I should probably mention I didn't look in the other thread after just checking it when it was newly posted, so I'm mostly basing that on stupid stuff that has gone on in GDQ threads in the past and, well, the fact that the OP of that thread invited talk about cucking and drama. I decided pretty quickly I didn't want to know what would be going on so I stayed away from it entirely. I certainly rolled my eyes at some of the stuff some people did on camera too.

you are very very stupid if you base your opinion of a thread on things that aren't the thread itself

then again, i guess this does prove the op's post was a good test to keep humorless idiots from ruining it

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The crowd was super annoying during the Metroid race. I'm glad Zoast won though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Excellent posted:

The crowd was super annoying during the Metroid race. I'm glad Zoast won though.

WAHd you like to borrow my microphone and say a few WAHrds to the crowd?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Something about curing cancer by getting run over by a shuttle bus

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Technically throwing yourself in front of a bus is just a speedrun of life.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

DizzyBum posted:

I agree. Mainly because I liked being able to shitpost in the Fast Thread without fear I was ruining potentially good discussion when they were all one thread.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Non-game recommendation: near the beginning of the Catechumen VOD, Blechy interviews Brossentia about WolfQuest and it's very very good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Doc Hawkins posted:

Non-game recommendation: near the beginning of the Catechumen VOD, Blechy interviews Brossentia about WolfQuest and it's very very good.

How many bad puns?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Brother Entropy posted:

i wanna see a gdq that doesn't do kill/save the animals just to see how many donation comments they get that still try to vote for one

It'd probably be similar to the number of people who talk about cancer in their sgdq donation comments.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

This thread is good, and its only real flaw is that it wasn't named 'Drowning Puppies to Save Time'.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

iospace posted:

How many bad puns?

Just one, I believe. It's mostly just more proof of how good Blechy is (and yes Brossentia is good too, but come on).

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

This thread is good and so is the meme/drama/:eonwe: thread and I want them both for SGDQ!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm surprised no one in the audience went and kicked that guys rear end for telling them all to kill themselves, really.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

RyokoTK posted:

I'm surprised no one in the audience went and kicked that guys rear end for telling them all to kill themselves, really.

Are you really surprised though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Kinda? There's some dudes in there that take care of themselves.

• Locked thread