Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Demi-chan wa Kataritai is a comedy series set in a world where demi-humans, or Demi as that apparently sounds cuter, are starting to become more common and accepted in human society. The male lead is a teacher who wants to learn more about demi-humans and ends up meeting a few at his school, three students and a newly hired teacher.

The series is based on a manga which currently has 4 volumes out in Japan and the 2nd one is being released in English January 17th.

Cast

]
Tetsuo Takahashi. Biology teacher. Human
Voiced by Junichi Suwabe

Hikari Takanashi. Vampire
Voiced by Kaede Hondo

Kyoko Machi. Dullahan
Voiced by Minami Shinoda

Yuki Kusakabe . Snow Woman (Yuki-onna)
Voiced by Shiina Natsukawa

Satou Sakie. Math teacher. Succubus
Voiced by Yoko Hikasa

The show is very cute and funny, you should watch it.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Appropriate thread OP / username post combo

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
OP does not mention Takahashi's incredibly strong teacher arms 3/10

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Didn't I see this on Venture Bros.?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if the rest of the show is as good as the first episode it will be an A+ adaptation

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Demi-chan... is good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

REMEMBER WHEN EVERYONE BUT ME WAS SPEWING DOOM AND GLOOM ABOUT THE ADAPTATION

FIXED WITH THANKS TO ANZU

Davincie fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 9, 2017

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

adaptation*

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Demicol posted:

Satou Sakie. Math teacher. Succubus
Voiced by Yoko Hikasa

The Nightmare - John Henry Fuseli

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Davincie posted:

Yes, and I am so happy to be wrong. (So far)

So very happy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Hahaha the Horse is a reference to something and not just innuendo nice.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

sorry bout that. it is good

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not only is the adaptation good but they are also adding a fair bit to give it a bit of its own flavor so even if you liked the manga there's plenty of reason to watch this as well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Davincie posted:

No because that didn't happen.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

chumbler posted:

No because that didn't happen.

Yeah it did when the poster got shown. I know because I participated in it

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

OP does not mention Takahashi's incredibly strong teacher arms 3/10

same.

also, as a reader of the manga they've added some stuff that all seems good so far, so give it a shot even if you already read it!

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

El Burbo posted:

I don't know if it was doom and gloom so much as "i hope this isn't another jitsu wa situation," which seemed like a pretty reasonable worry, even if it didn't end up happening.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

El Burbo posted:

This, except I think I started it.

z0glin Warchief posted:

I don't know if it was doom and gloom so much as "i hope this isn't another jitsu wa situation," which seemed like a pretty reasonable worry, even if it didn't end up happening.
It was mostly this, but still. Was pretty doom and gloom.

I-I mean, what Jitsu anime?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Dullahan-chan is precious and my friend

I didn't think this show would be as cute and chill as it was, but color me surprised! Looking forward to the rest of this series now!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

This is a great show, and pretty much the only one that's aired so far that's in the "definitely watch no matter what" category.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

AnoHito posted:

This is a great show, and pretty much the only one that's aired so far that's in the "definitely watch no matter what" category.

I'm sorry, did we not just watch LWA?

I'm putting both demi and LWA on that list for me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
LWA was good, but after LWA2 I wouldn't have called it a sure bet either.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Nate RFB posted:

LWA was good, but after LWA2 I wouldn't have called it a sure bet either.
:shrug:
I really liked LWA2. It may not have had the same magic (lol) that LWA1 had, but I still thought it was really good, even on a rewatch.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lwa2 had a worse script but it didn't lose anything visually and the first ep of the anime shows it could end up being the best thing trigger's ever made

but anyway, buff sensei

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
LWA2 made me really, really hate Akko. But the TV show first ep was good, at any rate. As is Demi-chan!

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
I dunno what sold me on this adaptation more, the first "Nehehe" from Hikari, or Machi picking up her head so she could shake her head no.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

The Colonel posted:

but anyway, buff sensei
I like how they show how strong he is in the OP when he stops a falling bookshelf. Dem's some arms.

Kibibit posted:

I dunno what sold me on this adaptation more, the first "Nehehe" from Hikari, or Machi picking up her head so she could shake her head no.

I really really really liked how they did Machi's animation. It's very smooth and natural for something ... unnatural.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Kibibit posted:

Machi picking up her head so she could shake her head no.

For such a small scene this was really great, hope there continues to be more stuff like this.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm sorry, did we not just watch LWA?

I'm putting both demi and LWA on that list for me.

LWA was good, but falls more into the "probably watch if I don't get bored/distracted" category. It's really hard to imagine myself not watching this. There'd have to be a disaster on the level of Kumamiko.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kibibit posted:

Machi picking up her head so she could shake her head no.
This was the cutest loving thing.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I was worried that the manga's kinda sketchy artwork wouldn't translate well, but they did a great job converting the characters.

It's nice to see that they're not skimping on the animation either. There were a lot of really quick and smooth turns and transitions. Hope they can keep it going.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The only flaw is that succubus sensei might be too adorable, and that might not actually be a flaw.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Mirage posted:

I was worried that the manga's kinda sketchy artwork wouldn't translate well, but they did a great job converting the characters.

Sensei's arms are small and wimpy. 4/10

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I will be giving this a look.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Question to anyone who knows japanese: I noticed that they translated "ajin" as "demi-human". When I read the manga I just assumed ajin was a made up nonsense word, but is it actually a real japanese word?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Droyer posted:

Question to anyone who knows japanese: I noticed that they translated "ajin" as "demi-human". When I read the manga I just assumed ajin was a made up nonsense word, but is it actually a real japanese word?

Yes.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Needs more fanservice shots of Sensei's arms

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Droyer posted:

It's also used in other fiction, like Concrete Revolutio (e: I remembered wrong), and well, the one called Ajin.
It's not quite a dictionary word but reading the kanji 亞人 individually gets you a meaning along "post-humans".

nielsm fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 9, 2017

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I ship Takahashi/Science. His curiosity is very cute and endearing- it's something too many people toss aside as they grow older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

nielsm posted:

It's also used in other fiction, like Concrete Revolutio, and well, the one called Ajin.
It's not quite a dictionary word but reading the kanji 亞人 individually gets you a meaning along "post-humans".

Concrete Revolutio used Choujin though?

• Locked thread