Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The first episode was great! It loses a bit from having to move from the sketchy manga style to a more animate-able style, but it more than makes up for it with little touches like the head shaking. Dullahan-chan in general was great in motion, animating the transitions to and from the one-panel gags worked amazingly well. Hikari was adorable, both teachers were adorable - really, everything about this is adorable. It managed to distill what I like about the manga into an even more potent brew.

I'm very excited for more of this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnoHito posted:

LWA was good, but falls more into the "probably watch if I don't get bored/distracted" category. It's really hard to imagine myself not watching this. There'd have to be a disaster on the level of Kumamiko.

At the end of the series the humans decide they no longer want the demi-humans among them after all and drive them off into isolation. The teacher has actually been investigating them undercover for the government with this in mind.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

DrSunshine posted:

Hange from Attack on Titan

Nunotaba Shinobu from Railgun

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Ironically I loved the little conversation they had where Hikari is like "Also please don't use that word, only we can use that word."*

*Not literally, but I can easily see that conversation changed to that in the Abridgement.

I Hope Not.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kytrarewn posted:

Is that the scientist lady that works with the Sisters and the like? She cool.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Watched the first ep, it was great! Need to catch up on the manga too, I assume there's been some new chapters uploaded since I first binged it. Succubus-sensei is best girl!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Silento posted:

Watched the first ep, it was great! Need to catch up on the manga too, I assume there's been some new chapters uploaded since I first binged it. Succubus-sensei is best girl!

They're currently trying to divine the nature of Dullahan's neck.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

Souichi Tomoe from Sailor Moon.

Ytlaya posted:

At the end of the series the humans decide they no longer want the demi-humans among them after all and drive them off into isolation. The teacher has actually been investigating them undercover for the government with this in mind.

That'd be a kumamiko, yes.

z0glin Warchief posted:

Which is why I'm so darn unhappy about the English title change :bahgawd:

If it makes the MonMusu croud watch something that's actually good (ala Actually I am) then I'm all for it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 11, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

ConanThe3rd posted:

If it makes the MonMusu croud watch something that's actually good (ala Actually I am) then I'm all for it.

Funny thing is that this hits all the good points of MonMusu- Say what you will about the ridiculous lack of plot, the annoying characters, the obnoxious character design, the absurd excessive fanservice, etc, but some of the stuff the creator came up with in regard to monster habitats and behaviors and the way that they managed to get along in the modern world was legitimately fascinating and thought-provoking. It was just buried under a veritable sea of bullshit.

This seems to do the same thing (I've yet to read the manga), only without the obvious downsides. The comparison should be favorable for almost all audiences.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so are you saying that monster musume was popular in spite of all the skeeviness? uh, that's a very generous interpretation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
you know that popularity isn't the result of a hivemind, and that fans can like different aspects, right

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Space Flower posted:

you know that popularity isn't the result of a hivemind, and that fans can like different aspects, right

when a fetishy fanservice show is very popular, it seems somewhat plausible that its fans enjoy fetishy fanservice. i don't really get the need to make excuses about it, though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so are you saying that monster musume was popular in spite of all the skeeviness? uh, that's a very generous interpretation.

I'm saying MonMusu is a deep fried marsbar and to this nice healthy meal that tastes great.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

when a fetishy fanservice show is very popular, it seems somewhat plausible that its fans enjoy fetishy fanservice. i don't really get the need to make excuses about it, though.

there's tons of people who like it, it's just that your generalizations are stupid, patronizing, and unprovoked. Kytra never said anything about popularity, just two cents on what the series did well for them.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

your favorite fetish anime is poo poo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Space Flower posted:

there's tons of people who like it, it's just that your generalizations are stupid, patronizing, and unprovoked. Kytra never said anything about popularity, just two cents on what the series did well for them.

i asked him to clarify a point and then you jumped in to defend a lovely fetish show. now i'm gonna imply unkind things about seikon no quaser!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read like, up to the introduction of Best Monster Girl (the spider) of the manga, and while I pretty much wasn't willing to keep up with it, I did really enjoy all the stuff like each character having a room customized to meet their needs, as well as social stuff like spider girl being discriminated against because everyone just wanted cute monster people like cats and didn't really expect a spider.

I guess that's My Monster Secret: I read a bit of Daily Life of Monster Girls.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

Funny thing is that this hits all the good points of MonMusu- Say what you will about the ridiculous lack of plot, the annoying characters, the obnoxious character design, the absurd excessive fanservice, etc, but some of the stuff the creator came up with in regard to monster habitats and behaviors and the way that they managed to get along in the modern world was legitimately fascinating and thought-provoking. It was just buried under a veritable sea of bullshit.

This seems to do the same thing (I've yet to read the manga), only without the obvious downsides. The comparison should be favorable for almost all audiences.

As someone who has read the manga I can say it does have cool and unique discussions on how monsters and their myths would adapt to modernity, and interesting looks into how the characters deal with them.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

i asked him to clarify a point and then you jumped in to defend a lovely fetish show. now i'm gonna imply unkind things about seikon no quaser!

"monster musume was popular in spite of all the skeeviness," is not what Kytra was saying at all. 3 posters now have clarified their post—do you get it yet? and calling out your illiterate bitching isn't defensive of anything except for the health of this thread.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Space Flower posted:

"monster musume was popular in spite of all the skeeviness," is not what Kytra was saying at all. 3 posters now have clarified their post—do you get it yet? and calling out your illiterate bitching isn't defensive of anything except for the health of this thread.

you still aren't kytra and i still don't quite get why you leapt to defend monster musume of all things in response to very mild ribbing.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I feel like there are probably arguments to made in both directions on the pros and cons of changing the title to be associated with the Daily Lives franchise, but regardless of which side you come down I still think "Interviews with Monster Girls" is a very poor choice for the reasons I posted in the manga thread:

z0glin Warchief posted:

Demi-chan wa Kataritai, with Demi being ateji for the kanji 亜人(ajin), basically a word for not-quite-humans (and is often translated as demi-human). It basically means "Demi-chan wants to talk," but with a nuance of them having specific/important things they want to tell [someone]/talk about, not just idle conversation.

"Interviews with Monster Girls" is a bad title imo because 1.) it takes away the agency of the Demis that's present in the original title (they have something they want to do vs. "interviews with"), and 2.) a decent portion of the story is about fitting in and discrimination and such (the whole "they want to be called demi, not ajin" thing being an obvious example), so just flat out calling them Monsters in the title feels really out of touch with the themes and tone of the work.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

SyntheticPolygon posted:

As someone who has read the manga I can say it does have cool and unique discussions on how monsters and their myths would adapt to modernity, and interesting looks into how the characters deal with them.

Is the way characters deal with them being crushed by monster boobs every five minutes? Cause I gotta say, you really have to reach to find any depth in the series.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
And people wonder why the monstergirl thread got axed.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

monster musume fans are definitely perverts

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Anyway...
Just watched the first episode and enjoyed it a lot, I admit I was also expecting something like MonMusu, which I thought was okay fluff but this was much better. I'm not sure what I'd actually compare it to, maybe Upotte with more laid back characters. I'm kind of hoping they keep doing things that flesh out what the Demis are like in terms of habits and myths versus "reality", like they did with the Vampire.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
You're in for a good time, then. That's the whole point of the series. :)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Also if you like "realistic considerations of mythical creatures in a modern setting", consider the far superior Centaur's Worries, which actually does cover social issues, monstery teenagers growing up, and cute slice of life stuff all in one!

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
In retrospect that should have been obvious to me. The other thing I'm hoping for is the addition of more Demis like Machi that are noticeably different from the average human. I'm not necessarily talking about going to extremes like the Slime or Spider from Momusu, but as a wheelchair user myself I would appreciate something like a Merperson or something like a cat girl, even if that specifically would be a bit cliche.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Anime_Otaku posted:

In retrospect that should have been obvious to me. The other thing I'm hoping for is the addition of more Demis like Machi that are noticeably different from the average human. I'm not necessarily talking about going to extremes like the Slime or Spider from Momusu, but as a wheelchair user myself I would appreciate something like a Merperson or something like a cat girl, even if that specifically would be a bit cliche.

I don't know if this counts as a spoiler really, but they don't really introduce any other demis, at least up to where I've read.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

z0glin Warchief posted:

I don't know if this counts as a spoiler really, but they don't really introduce any other demis, at least up to where I've read.

I saw someone link to a picture of a page where Biology sensei was talking with an invisible girl

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

El Burbo posted:

I saw someone link to a picture of a page where Biology sensei was talking with an invisible girl

I think that's only in an extra? I could be mis-remembering.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

z0glin Warchief posted:

I think that's only in an extra? I could be mis-remembering.

Well it wasn't translated and not a proper scan so I wouldn't know :v:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

z0glin Warchief posted:

Except maybe Kurt. Dunno if they'll get that far, although there's a very brief flash of the detective when they're talking about ajin welfare.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Also if you like "realistic considerations of mythical creatures in a modern setting", consider the far superior Centaur's Worries, which actually does cover social issues, monstery teenagers growing up, and cute slice of life stuff all in one!

It's getting an anime too, right? That should be interesting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I like MonMusu because the girls are cute and fun and because it somewhat goes into how to accommodate them in our world without getting too mired in the details. :colbert:

Has Centaur's Worries had an anime announced yet? I forget. That's also a good monster girls series, even if it takes several left turns to the bizarre before seeming to more revolve around the children

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
let's all laugh at this "review" and how badly it misses the point

http://tenka.seiha.org/2017/01/interviews-with-monster-girls-01/

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not going to read that

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i'm not going to read that

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I used to read Seiha a lot but at this point his relentless negativity is just tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
is relentless negativity ever not painfully tedious

• Locked thread