Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The Colonel posted:

is relentless negativity ever not painfully tedious

Well, to begin with you don't realise it's relentless negativity, you think oh cool, this guy has cutting and incisive things to say about particular shows. And then you realise nah this person just hates everything and its a dumb schtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think he's really fixated on whether or not he can see underwear.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler posted:

I think he's really fixated on whether or not he can see underwear.

:same:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Davincie posted:

monster musume fans are definitely perverts

When I was ten, I read ecchi manga in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly.

- C.S. Lewis, maybe

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Wow, the way that guy writes makes him sound like someone I would not want to be around ... ever.

Good job, angry man. Stick to your guns and die an old curmudgeon one day.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

z0glin Warchief posted:

I feel like there are probably arguments to made in both directions on the pros and cons of changing the title to be associated with the Daily Lives franchise, but regardless of which side you come down I still think "Interviews with Monster Girls" is a very poor choice for the reasons I posted in the manga thread:

I wonder if they're trying to reference "Interviews with the Vampire" or if it's unintentional.

RubberLuffy posted:

let's all laugh at this "review" and how badly it misses the point

http://tenka.seiha.org/2017/01/interviews-with-monster-girls-01/

I was willing to go along with the criticism that male protagonists tend to get too much credit for merely not being assholes, but then I remember that the anime inserted a scene with one of the main female characters coming away with the impression the protagonist is kind of an intrusive creep, so even that line of criticism is nonsensical.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I was pleasantly surprised giving this a watch. I was kind of worried it might be too much fluff and not really focus on the fact the girls aren't human and just be cute girls doing cute things given the art style, but it ended up covering cute things and the monster girl aspect pretty well.

basically all monster girls are good

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

RubberLuffy posted:

This is quite possibly one of the worst-written reviews I've ever read. Did the writer just vomit forth whatever was on his brain in a barely-coherent stream of consciousness the moment the credits started playing? Is he like 18 years old and trying to get cool points by sounding edgy and cynical? Did the word "editing" not come to mind a single time?

Terrible!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Overlord K posted:

I was pleasantly surprised giving this a watch. I was kind of worried it might be too much fluff and not really focus on the fact the girls aren't human and just be cute girls doing cute things given the art style, but it ended up covering cute things and the monster girl aspect pretty well.

basically all monster girls are good

You're in for a treat, depending on how well they follow the manga. If you like manga, I highly recommend checking it out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DrSunshine posted:

This is quite possibly one of the worst-written reviews I've ever read. Did the writer just vomit forth whatever was on his brain in a barely-coherent stream of consciousness the moment the credits started playing? Is he like 18 years old and trying to get cool points by sounding edgy and cynical? Did the word "editing" not come to mind a single time?

Terrible!

He's been doing this for like 10 years now. Or so it feels.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I wonder if they're trying to reference "Interviews with the Vampire" or if it's unintentional.

I am 90% sure that it's an intentional reference to Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire".

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 12, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
So he's been doing it since he was 8?
:stare:

Okay, kind of makes sense now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To be completely honest, I do not like the manga this is based off of that much (and apparently the show is a pretty solid adaptation). While series like this all have plausible deniability in this regard, I can't help but feel that the all-girl/woman, mostly underage, and mostly crushing on the adult protagonist Demis are intended as a sort of moč fan-service, like a more high-brow version of typical panty-shot (etc) oriented fan-service. In particular, stuff like the "it's just an honest portrayal of girls going through puberty, nothing at all skeevy here (and it is a complete coincidence that it is only girls in puberty)" aspect is a little off-putting to me. I feel like series like this sort of revolve around fetishizing female youth.

That being said, I don't really have a big problem with shows like this; I just consider them to definitely fit into the greater "male-oriented fan-service" genre. The same applies to a lot of "cute girls doing cute things" shows, though I think the "~exploration of puberty~" part adds an extra level of discomfort to this specific situation.

Okay that is my opinion about this series. Just felt like mentioning it since it's obviously a pretty unpopular opinion (I think every other post in this thread is positive).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you have really weird views on this kind of stuff dude

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I can understand that.
:shrug:

Though if you're looking at romantic stuff, the only actual romance there might be is with succubus-sensei.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

The Colonel posted:

you have really weird views on this kind of stuff dude

Like, yeah, it's kinda weird, but at the same time i can see where he's coming from.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

To be completely honest, I do not like the manga this is based off of that much (and apparently the show is a pretty solid adaptation). While series like this all have plausible deniability in this regard, I can't help but feel that the all-girl/woman, mostly underage, and mostly crushing on the adult protagonist Demis are intended as a sort of moč fan-service, like a more high-brow version of typical panty-shot (etc) oriented fan-service. In particular, stuff like the "it's just an honest portrayal of girls going through puberty, nothing at all skeevy here (and it is a complete coincidence that it is only girls in puberty)" aspect is a little off-putting to me. I feel like series like this sort of revolve around fetishizing female youth.

That being said, I don't really have a big problem with shows like this; I just consider them to definitely fit into the greater "male-oriented fan-service" genre. The same applies to a lot of "cute girls doing cute things" shows, though I think the "~exploration of puberty~" part adds an extra level of discomfort to this specific situation.

Okay that is my opinion about this series. Just felt like mentioning it since it's obviously a pretty unpopular opinion (I think every other post in this thread is positive).

Nah, I agree with you there. This is part of why I think the 'romantic subplot' shouldn't happen. I think the show is on much firmer footing if it becomes about these characters' inner lives and uses the male teacher character just as a representation of a humanity that is curious and a little ignorantly hurtful sometimes.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it runs in a seinen mag, it has a completely standard harem structure. theres nothing about that post that is wrong, tho i personally dont care

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fangz posted:

Nah, I agree with you there. This is part of why I think the 'romantic subplot' shouldn't happen. I think the show is on much firmer footing if it becomes about these characters' inner lives and uses the male teacher character just as a representation of a humanity that is curious and a little ignorantly hurtful sometimes.

I would think romance would be somewhat important to the inner life of the character whose main conflict is that because of her nature she can't be sure if anyone she is in a relationship with actually really loves her, and as a result she distances herself even though she doesn't really want to.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That's really the only character where a romantic (sub)plot makes sense.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I 'unno, in the manga the only people who really seem to like Ironman-sensei are Machi and the succubus. The yuki-onna girl is just happy to have friends, and the nyanpire maybe has a light crush but mostly supports Machi. Also the sister is neutral at best. It has some of the trappings of a harem manga but it's not like, say, Nisekoi.

Plus, as of right now in the anime, Machi just wants to talk to someone. Notice how delighted she is when Himari starts complaining about her situation. She's not crushing at this point, she's just lonely.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

chumbler posted:

I would think romance would be somewhat important to the inner life of the character whose main conflict is that because of her nature she can't be sure if anyone she is in a relationship with actually really loves her, and as a result she distances herself even though she doesn't really want to.

I think the solution to that is to have other relationships than romantic ones.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

She explicitly desires a romantic relationship

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Terper posted:

She explicitly desires a romantic relationship

I think this argument becomes circular. Like I'm saying, I prefer if the show wasn't about romance. And you're saying, this show is about romance.

Anyway, it's fine if you like it, but meh.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No, one character's motivations are tied to romantic developments. This does not a romance make.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Terper posted:

No, one character's motivations are tied to romantic developments. This does not a romance make.

I don't really know what we are arguing about right now. I'm just saying that I have a preference to some aspects of the show over others. To what degree do I really have to justify this.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

RubberLuffy posted:

what decade did i step into when i clicked this link because it says "2017" but im not believing it

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah, it's real contrived how the succubus character seeks affection and closeness. drat you, harem tropes!

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I know Seven Seas is trying to make lightning strike twice by branding every supernatural comedy with "monster girls" but it's getting a bit tiring.
These kids aren't monster girls any more than the X-Men are.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

HellCopter posted:

I know Seven Seas is trying to make lightning strike twice by branding every supernatural comedy with "monster girls" but it's getting a bit tiring.
These kids aren't monster girls any more than the X-Men are.

I mean they are literally monsters from folklore :v:

The english name is bad though I agree.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Since I apparently wasn't that clear, I don't really consider this much of a harem manga; I consider it to be in the general genre of "cute girls doing cute things (but let's not kid ourselves this is aimed at an almost entirely male audience)". Moreso than the Dullahan and Succubus teacher being interested in the doctor guy (which doesn't really bug me to be honest), it's the way it seems to highlight the whole "girls in puberty being insecure/immature" angle in a context that is obviously not actually aimed at girls/women. Again, I don't think this sort of thing is terrible (and as mentioned before it has some degree of plausible deniability), but I just can't shake the feeling that "women/girls being insecure" is supposed to be appealing in a "moe" way or something.

The only reason I wrote any words about this in the first place is that I had this vague sense of misgiving and was trying to figure out where it was coming from. Stuff with more "explicit" fanservice like Keijo doesn't really bother me much at all (I think partly because the source of the fan-service is physical and involves older characters, as opposed to the youth/immaturity itself being the draw).

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I know pretty much every professionally produced piece of media is made with target demographics in mind, but I do wonder what sort of additional effect the gendered nature of most manga magazines (shoujo/shounen/josei/seinen) has on what gets made.

I bet there's an interesting thesis paper to be written comparing magazine-published series to self-published stuff (through like pixiv or whatever).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ytlaya posted:

Since I apparently wasn't that clear, I don't really consider this much of a harem manga; I consider it to be in the general genre of "cute girls doing cute things (but let's not kid ourselves this is aimed at an almost entirely male audience)". Moreso than the Dullahan and Succubus teacher being interested in the doctor guy (which doesn't really bug me to be honest), it's the way it seems to highlight the whole "girls in puberty being insecure/immature" angle in a context that is obviously not actually aimed at girls/women. Again, I don't think this sort of thing is terrible (and as mentioned before it has some degree of plausible deniability), but I just can't shake the feeling that "women/girls being insecure" is supposed to be appealing in a "moe" way or something.

The only reason I wrote any words about this in the first place is that I had this vague sense of misgiving and was trying to figure out where it was coming from. Stuff with more "explicit" fanservice like Keijo doesn't really bother me much at all (I think partly because the source of the fan-service is physical and involves older characters, as opposed to the youth/immaturity itself being the draw).

I totally got where you're coming from the first time around and I agree. Cast of all female characters being insecure and being saved by the Completely Rational Male Protagonist Who Is A Stand-In For The Audience and all other male characters are ancillary definitely hits a specific moe note hard. Even if it's not out and out a romantic harem manga it still has the same power structure but in that aspect it's just more of the same and not particularly egregious. The only thing that really bugged me was the really awkward line of questioning where a grown rear end man asks a 14 year old girl about her thoughts regarding the traditional sexual undertones of blood sucking and whether she'd do it to a girl or a boy cause that's definitely toeing the line of appropriate behaviour when it's played off as completely normal.

Personally I'm still kinda on the fence on watching cause I think Hikari's a good kid and there are some good jokes but I do feel certain uncomfortable beats directed towards the target demo pretty hard and it kinda skeeves me out.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
... I think demi is one of the least skeevy animes of its type, but okay.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
"Of its type" being the key phrase there. The discussion is regarding the type itself.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Touché

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
What's skeevy about the first episode???

Did I miss panty shots or a girl falling on some guy's face????????

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

What's skeevy about the first episode???

Did I miss panty shots or a girl falling on some guy's face????????

Girls are talking to a guy who spoke to them. Well, some of them are, at least. Apparently this is too weird and unrealistic for people.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I think ytlaya's reading is perfectly fair, it's just not something I'm concerned about.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Ah, the "what is moe" discussion, a yearly ADTRW tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I think ytlaya's reading is perfectly fair, it's just not something I'm concerned about.

This. I choose to just enjoy the cute thing that is cute.

• Locked thread