Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think Takahashi is really supposed to be a neutral party that the girls can talk openly to about their issues, and yes there is all the stuff about how the neutral party is automatically a dude and how male main character protectorate dynamics are implicitly shot through the way he relates to all the girls the show is actually interested in, especially with him being in a position of authority and maturity a priori.

But I somehow have a feeling that despite falling into all of those things, the show's heart is basically in the right place i.e. a lens to explore these girls' normal lives with quasi-disabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Caphi posted:

the show's heart is basically in the right place i.e. a lens to explore these girls' normal lives with quasi-disabilities.

Huh. That's a interesting and probably accurate way of thinking about it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Nitrousoxide posted:

What's skeevy about the first episode???

Did I miss panty shots or a girl falling on some guy's face????????

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

For comparison,

They actually changed that compared to the manga. Part of the style difference, partly (I think)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Caphi posted:

I think Takahashi is really supposed to be a neutral party that the girls can talk openly to about their issues, and yes there is all the stuff about how the neutral party is automatically a dude and how male main character protectorate dynamics are implicitly shot through the way he relates to all the girls the show is actually interested in, especially with him being in a position of authority and maturity a priori.

But I somehow have a feeling that despite falling into all of those things, the show's heart is basically in the right place i.e. a lens to explore these girls' normal lives with quasi-disabilities.

Yeah that's fair and I agree with that.

Nitrousoxide posted:

What's skeevy about the first episode???

Did I miss panty shots or a girl falling on some guy's face????????

I know you're trying to provoke me but I was referring to Hikari's scenario of biting Yuki being framed in a somewhat erotic fashion followed by Takahashi's questioning of her regarding the sexual undertones of bloodsucking and the gender of people she thinks of doing it to. Sure, the premise of Vampires dating back to Dracula have had a heavy component of eroticism and seduction but it's definitely inappropriate for a teacher to be asking probing questions of a sexual nature towards their own student even if the show handwaves it as her consenting to it so it's ok. I don't get the feeling that the show is trying to titillate male viewers with the budding sexuality of teenaged girls but it's a moment that made me go :crossarms:

But it's 2017 and I'm on ADTRW so minor concerns like this aren't the hill I'm going to die on

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Part of the style difference, partly (I think)

Hikari feels like Kirino-esque here between the animation style and how she fantasizes about the girls while going "guhehe"

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Eej posted:

Yeah that's fair and I agree with that.

I know you're trying to provoke me but I was referring to Hikari's scenario of biting Yuki being framed in a somewhat erotic fashion followed by Takahashi's questioning of her regarding the sexual undertones of bloodsucking and the gender of people she thinks of doing it to. Sure, the premise of Vampires dating back to Dracula have had a heavy component of eroticism and seduction but it's definitely inappropriate for a teacher to be asking probing questions of a sexual nature towards their own student even if the show handwaves it as her consenting to it so it's ok. I don't get the feeling that the show is trying to titillate male viewers with the budding sexuality of teenaged girls but it's a moment that made me go :crossarms:

But it's 2017 and I'm on ADTRW so minor concerns like this aren't the hill I'm going to die on

I sort of disagree, I think that of all the people a teenager can talk to about those sorts of issues a teacher is a good candidate. Parents are often too awkward to talk to this stuff about and often too invested in their kids to give a level headed response. I suppose their doctor would be the best candidate, but you don't see your doctor too often so it can get pretty awkward because you don't know them all that well, certainly not as well as a student would know a teacher. They could have gone to the school nurse or sex-ed teacher, but it's a bit of a wash at that point since I feel like a biology teacher should be able to be just as dispassionate about sexual issues as either of those other two.

Basically I feel like a child should be able to trust a authority figure like a teacher well enough to be able to talk about stuff like that and that it's more of a good thing than a bad thing.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Hell, I'd feel comfortable with his big, strong arms.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

If we're voting on future thread titles I'm throwing this one in the hat.

As to our male protagonist being the blank self-insert everyman that tends to go in harem series I'd have to disagree. He's a degree carrying gainfully employed buff dude who's working on research. That right there is a genuine non "I SHALL PROTECT THESE GIRLS" reason for someone to be a legitimate romantic interest IRL.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

A veteran OBGYN suddenly gets teleported to the year 1999... as a 14 year old school girl! Watch as he recoils in horror at what his newfound "teenage peers" are actually thinking and doing to themselves, and tries to educate them on basic health concepts! Cute, fun, and safe for even the grumbliest anti-moe anime fan! Disclaimer: an occasional clothed boob may be shown due to most of the cast being female!

"My Obstetrician/Gynecologist Can't Possibly Be This Cute!" - Fall 2018
J.C. Staff

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

A veteran OBGYN suddenly gets teleported to the year 1999... as a 14 year old school girl! Watch as he recoils in horror at what his newfound "teenage peers" are actually thinking and doing to themselves, and tries to educate them on basic health concepts! Cute, fun, and safe for even the grumbliest anti-moe anime fan! Disclaimer: an occasional clothed boob may be shown due to most of the cast being female!

J.C. Staff

To be fair, I would watch this.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

J.C. Staff

You forgot the fantasy world.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

chumbler posted:

You forgot the fantasy world.

please no old-time OBGYN fiction. the ending to grapes of wrath was enough for this poster's lifetime.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Astro Ambulance posted:

To be fair, I would watch this.

I feel like it's part of the plot of Re;Life.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If Takahashi is a blank slate nobody protagonist then why do I have such a big crush on him and his big strong arms and kindly demeanor and generally detached scientific interest in the people around him??

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I just watched the first ep of this and its good. People are rightfully complaining that there hasn't been enough Takahashi arm fanservice, but I also noticed that Machi doesn't seem to have strong arms either. I always liked that detail of her character (because she's always carrying around her head)

DrSunshine posted:

Also if you like "realistic considerations of mythical creatures in a modern setting", consider the far superior Centaur's Worries, which actually does cover social issues, monstery teenagers growing up, and cute slice of life stuff all in one!

This, just skip the first chapter.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Man, being a Dullahan in this world is straight up a disability equivalent to not having an arm.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the first thing id do as a dullahan is jury rig some kind of apparatus to carry my head around next to me

like you could adapt one of those baby slings and hang your head in front of your chest

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

the first thing id do as a dullahan is jury rig some kind of apparatus to carry my head around next to me

like you could adapt one of those baby slings and hang your head in front of your chest

Get this,

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Phobophilia posted:

I want to say they talked about this at one point, and it had the side effect of making her queasy since the head bob wouldn't be natural.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nate RFB posted:

I want to say they talked about this at one point, and it had the side effect of making her queasy since the head bob wouldn't be natural.

Sounds like some writer hasn't heard of a Steadicam.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

chumbler posted:

Get this,

Or just mount a brace on your shoulders that the head slots into. Maybe this is why they wore suits of armor all the time...

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Attach your head to a flying drone that constantly seeks a position above and behind a transmitter worn on your back. Then you can have a third-person perspective like a video game!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
First thing I would do as a dullahan; youtube prank videos :colbert:

This is incredibly nice and sweet in show format. They did a great job

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

:v:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This show had me smiling constantly. It's cute and fun.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Grinned the entire time.

Vampire girl is the best.

Why does he sister freak out? Has she never seen any other Demi's?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Raenir Salazar posted:

Grinned the entire time.

Vampire girl is the best.

Why does he sister freak out? Has she never seen any other Demi's?

There's only 3 dulahans in the entire world, so I imagine their numbers are quite low. I would be surprised if a headless person was walking around my house even if I knew they technically existed.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ytlaya posted:

To be completely honest, I do not like the manga this is based off of that much (and apparently the show is a pretty solid adaptation). While series like this all have plausible deniability in this regard, I can't help but feel that the all-girl/woman, mostly underage, and mostly crushing on the adult protagonist Demis are intended as a sort of moč fan-service, like a more high-brow version of typical panty-shot (etc) oriented fan-service. In particular, stuff like the "it's just an honest portrayal of girls going through puberty, nothing at all skeevy here (and it is a complete coincidence that it is only girls in puberty)" aspect is a little off-putting to me. I feel like series like this sort of revolve around fetishizing female youth.

That being said, I don't really have a big problem with shows like this; I just consider them to definitely fit into the greater "male-oriented fan-service" genre. The same applies to a lot of "cute girls doing cute things" shows, though I think the "~exploration of puberty~" part adds an extra level of discomfort to this specific situation.

Okay that is my opinion about this series. Just felt like mentioning it since it's obviously a pretty unpopular opinion (I think every other post in this thread is positive).

who would be able to ignore those massive gains

i wish i could be hugged by takahashi san too

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I too was smiling trough the entire episode.

Loved that she has a little hut for her head to sleep in

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The plug to charge her phone is the height of responsibility!

Gale Raziya
Jun 18, 2014

The last portion of this episode was an extremely good addition.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Oh yeah Succubus sensei staring longingly at his arms made my day.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Gale Raziya posted:

The last portion of this episode was an extremely good addition.

It clearly showed that the bio teacher is paying close attention to the well-being of his students, and giving credit to their homeroom teacher helped succubus-sensei gain a little bit of rapport as well.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

There Bias Two posted:

There's only 3 dulahans in the entire world, so I imagine their numbers are quite low.

Yes, that number is 3. ???

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Clarste posted:

Yes, that number is 3. ???

I should have clarified. By "their" I meant the population of all demi-humans in general.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Demicol posted:

I too was smiling trough the entire episode.

Loved that she has a little hut for her head to sleep in

I'm on board after this.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Ah

Yes

I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!