Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
This show is incredibly good, drat

I want to be coddled by Takahashi-sensei's strong arms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

El Burbo posted:

Ah

Yes

I see

lewd post

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Hugging is in

Good, not enough animes have hugging

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hikari's faces are great. Takahashi's arms are great. Machi's flame sound effects are also great. This show is great.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I lost it at the "I guess we truely are the Dullahans" bit.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Succubus sensei staring longingly at his arms made my day.
Quick, someone get a protein shake! The lady has a bad case of

The Colonel posted:

MUSCLE THIRST
!!

A good episode.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Hikari's faces are great. Takahashi's arms are great. Machi's flame sound effects are also great. This show is great.

I love how it just sounds like her making goofy sounds when they focus on her flame. :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Overlord K posted:

I love how it just sounds like her making goofy sounds when they focus on her flame. :allears:

I about died when i realised it was just her VA making silly noises.

e: too spooky

She should hang out with Celty and get some Dullahan Life Tipstm

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 15, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I expected this to be like the other monstergirl show but was delighted to find it was actually adorable and fun.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

Grinned the entire time.

Vampire girl is the best.

Why does he sister freak out? Has she never seen any other Demi's?

On top of what other people said: her sister's thing is a bunch of psychological things and Slightly Weird Teeth; this is someone with turquoise fire for a head.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Davincie posted:

it runs in a seinen mag, it has a completely standard harem structure. theres nothing about that post that is wrong, tho i personally dont care

yea I guess it's more a statement on the incredibly low bar other shows like it set but while I can't really disagree with the main point of that post, I also just kinda am willing to forgive it because it sounds like they keep things to more grounded 'this child has a crush, her teacher fully understands he can never even slightly entertain it' thing because so many other things like it go 'this child has a crush, and maybe the teacher is ok with it'. It's a fair hit for the show to mention that it's entirely young women throwing themselves at a male authority figure for his approval and that's worth saying 'yea, not perfect'. I don't think it's meant to be some unforgivable sin against the show, just a flaw in an otherwise good product.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I expected this to be like the other monstergirl show but was delighted to find it was actually adorable and fun.

Yeah, it's adorable and fun like the other monster girl show.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

chumbler posted:

Yeah, it's adorable and fun like the other monster girl show.

It's adorable and fun in an entirely different way from that other monster girl show.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

But do dogs love it?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Did anyone else have to rewind after the bullet train gag?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

"I can't believe you're watching this garbage, human."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
My grandma's dog did the same thing whenever Golden Girls came on.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm surprised the only three dullahans on the planet aren't on some sort of pen pal system instead of trying to figure out how to eat, sleep, bathe, and travel by independent trial and error.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Even if they were sharing notes, there would still be a lot of individual trial and error, what with there only being three of them. This is not to mention any potential language barriers and various simple differences in circumstance and even personal preference from person to person.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it feels like even if all three of them were in the same country even it'd still be a trial and error thing.

"Hey how do you make your commute not suck? I tried a bouncy bjorn thing and it made me sick."

"poo poo man I dunno, I never had a problem with that and the literal only other member of our race just has a buddy who's cool and carries his stuff."

"Well drat."

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Random thought, how would Machi ride a bicycle? Would she use her harness with a custom helmet or would the bike have a padded basket for her head with maybe a modified boxing helmet for extra protection if something happens. Oh and side mirrors so she can see behind her.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Any lingering doubts I had about this adaptation are gone with how great Machi is.

They have also made Hikari correctly impish.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 15, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Zernach posted:

Random thought, how would Machi ride a bicycle? Would she use her harness with a custom helmet or would the bike have a padded basket for her head with maybe a modified boxing helmet for extra protection if something happens. Oh and side mirrors so she can see behind her.
My thought is that she probably wouldn't. General awkwardness aside, I can't think of any way to do it that wouldn't be profoundly dangerous if she took even a relatively minor spill. Could maybe do something with a recumbent tricycle, though.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Ah

Yes

I see

*WORKOUT MOTIVATION INTENSIFIES*

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
just play guitar

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Or play the bass and nobody will have a crush on you, even in fiction

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Or play the bass and nobody will have a crush on you, even in fiction

I can think of at least one fictional bassist who has at least one person crushing on them:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You know it's a funny scene and I'm sure Machi and her family laugh about it now when they recall it, but they would not have known that her head/body being so far apart would be fine so they must've been freaking the gently caress out at the time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

"poo poo man I dunno, I never had a problem with that and the literal only other member of our race just has a buddy who's cool and carries his stuff."

Well, they aren't a race in any sense of the term, which is one of the interesting things about this show. As people have mentioned, it's much more like people with rare disabilities. Hikari for example is basically just a person who requires unusual dietary supplements and is sensitive to sunlight. It's closer to being, I dunno, albino than to having a different race.

Actually, the whole thing reminds me of a short story manga I read recently, which was about a mother struggling to raise a child with WWS (Werewolf Syndrome).

Edit: Here

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 15, 2017

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Clarste posted:

Well, they aren't a race in any sense of the term, which is one of the interesting things about this show. As people have mentioned, it's much more like people with rare disabilities. Hikari for example is basically just a person who requires unusual dietary supplements and is sensitive to sunlight. It's closer to being, I dunno, albino than to having a different race.

Actually, the whole thing reminds me of a short story manga I read recently, which was about a mother struggling to raise a child with WWS (Werewolf Syndrome).

No but see they're Monster Girls, a term with no prior associatio—

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Being a demi-human doesn't seem to come with many advantages at all in this universe.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
id be more worried some shady lab doesnt nab them off the street to figure out how the hell the head and neck are linked through quantum teleportation

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Nate RFB posted:

You know it's a funny scene and I'm sure Machi and her family laugh about it now when they recall it, but they would not have known that her head/body being so far apart would be fine so they must've been freaking the gently caress out at the time.

I wonder if physicists could devise a test to see if signals between her head and her body travel slower than, equal to, or faster than the speed of light.

Physicists in the show, I mean. Of course.

edit: my fingers type much slower than the speed of light, obviously

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Being a demi-human doesn't seem to come with many advantages at all in this universe.

As we saw in this episode, being a dullahan lets you save a ton on full-length mirrors.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

id be more worried some shady lab doesnt nab them off the street to figure out how the hell the head and neck are linked through quantum teleportation

im sure north korea would be interested too.....

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im guessing a dullahan's brain is just capable of dealing with how disorienting it must be to be able to move about with your point of view being locked somewhere else like that.

Your life is like playing an old resident evil game, all the time.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, it must've been a Very Bad Time :(

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

wheelgun wielder posted:

I wonder if physicists could devise a test to see if signals between her head and her body travel slower than, equal to, or faster than the speed of light.

Physicists in the show, I mean. Of course.

edit: my fingers type much slower than the speed of light, obviously

They actually cover this in one of the latest chapters of the manga! Machi talks about how she once had a scope down her esophagus as a doctor examined her, and as far as they could tell she looked like a perfectly normal person on the inside. This leads them to theorize that the flame part is a wormhole of some kind.

I like that Takahashi is a real, honest, mature adult here. He really does seem to think of them just as teenage kids and has no ulterior motives other than to be their teacher and mentor. It's really a pedagogical relationship. That's what keeps it from being creepy! He acts and thinks like a real honest adult should, and I applaud the manga's author for taking it that route. It's just sad that this is something that makes the manga stand out rather than the norm.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Succubus sensei seems lonely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im guessing a dullahan's brain is just capable of dealing with how disorienting it must be to be able to move about with your point of view being locked somewhere else like that.

Your life is like playing an old resident evil game, all the time.

the soundtrack of machi's life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

• Locked thread