Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

El Burbo posted:

Yeah it did when the poster got shown. I know because I participated in it

I don't know if it was doom and gloom so much as "i hope this isn't another jitsu wa situation," which seemed like a pretty reasonable worry, even if it didn't end up happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Droyer posted:

Question to anyone who knows japanese: I noticed that they translated "ajin" as "demi-human". When I read the manga I just assumed ajin was a made up nonsense word, but is it actually a real japanese word?

Well, yes and no. It's not an original word for this series, but it's more or less a word specific to recent fantasy fiction like this or the series actually named "Ajin". It doesn't show up in dictionaries for example, and if you search google books for instances of it it's all just as a person's first name (usually read as something different than Ajin, like Ahito or Tsuguto). It used to be slang for an American back in the day, when "America" was written in kanji; the kanji for the "a" in ajin is a common one to use when you want a kanji that sounds like that but doesn't have a particular meaning (it's also the "a" in Russia for example).

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

A more traditional word for stuff like vampires/werewolves whatever would be ijin 異人, but that can also refer to foreigners, people with disabilities, or other "different" people, so there's probably some pressure not to use it.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

This is so true! Aside from cutepire, I think that this is the favorite thing about this show/manga in particular: the good, progressive message about identity, body image, and tolerance. If I was a teen librarian for a public library, or a high school/middle school librarian, I would definitely get this for the graphic novel collection because it speaks really well to teen issues.

Which is why I'm so darn unhappy about the English title change :bahgawd:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I feel like there are probably arguments to made in both directions on the pros and cons of changing the title to be associated with the Daily Lives franchise, but regardless of which side you come down I still think "Interviews with Monster Girls" is a very poor choice for the reasons I posted in the manga thread:

z0glin Warchief posted:

Demi-chan wa Kataritai, with Demi being ateji for the kanji 亜人(ajin), basically a word for not-quite-humans (and is often translated as demi-human). It basically means "Demi-chan wants to talk," but with a nuance of them having specific/important things they want to tell [someone]/talk about, not just idle conversation.

"Interviews with Monster Girls" is a bad title imo because 1.) it takes away the agency of the Demis that's present in the original title (they have something they want to do vs. "interviews with"), and 2.) a decent portion of the story is about fitting in and discrimination and such (the whole "they want to be called demi, not ajin" thing being an obvious example), so just flat out calling them Monsters in the title feels really out of touch with the themes and tone of the work.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Anime_Otaku posted:

In retrospect that should have been obvious to me. The other thing I'm hoping for is the addition of more Demis like Machi that are noticeably different from the average human. I'm not necessarily talking about going to extremes like the Slime or Spider from Momusu, but as a wheelchair user myself I would appreciate something like a Merperson or something like a cat girl, even if that specifically would be a bit cliche.

I don't know if this counts as a spoiler really, but they don't really introduce any other demis, at least up to where I've read.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

El Burbo posted:

I saw someone link to a picture of a page where Biology sensei was talking with an invisible girl

I think that's only in an extra? I could be mis-remembering.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I know pretty much every professionally produced piece of media is made with target demographics in mind, but I do wonder what sort of additional effect the gendered nature of most manga magazines (shoujo/shounen/josei/seinen) has on what gets made.

I bet there's an interesting thesis paper to be written comparing magazine-published series to self-published stuff (through like pixiv or whatever).

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Hell, I'd feel comfortable with his big, strong arms.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Or play the bass and nobody will have a crush on you, even in fiction

I can think of at least one fictional bassist who has at least one person crushing on them:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Clarste posted:

Well, they aren't a race in any sense of the term, which is one of the interesting things about this show. As people have mentioned, it's much more like people with rare disabilities. Hikari for example is basically just a person who requires unusual dietary supplements and is sensitive to sunlight. It's closer to being, I dunno, albino than to having a different race.

Actually, the whole thing reminds me of a short story manga I read recently, which was about a mother struggling to raise a child with WWS (Werewolf Syndrome).

No but see they're Monster Girls, a term with no prior associatio—

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I assume these bits alone are why "doesn't play the main character" Suwabe got the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Droyer posted:

I guess Machi really has a good head on her shoulders.

Yeah, she's really on fire.

• Locked thread