Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ytlaya posted:

Since I apparently wasn't that clear, I don't really consider this much of a harem manga; I consider it to be in the general genre of "cute girls doing cute things (but let's not kid ourselves this is aimed at an almost entirely male audience)". Moreso than the Dullahan and Succubus teacher being interested in the doctor guy (which doesn't really bug me to be honest), it's the way it seems to highlight the whole "girls in puberty being insecure/immature" angle in a context that is obviously not actually aimed at girls/women. Again, I don't think this sort of thing is terrible (and as mentioned before it has some degree of plausible deniability), but I just can't shake the feeling that "women/girls being insecure" is supposed to be appealing in a "moe" way or something.

The only reason I wrote any words about this in the first place is that I had this vague sense of misgiving and was trying to figure out where it was coming from. Stuff with more "explicit" fanservice like Keijo doesn't really bother me much at all (I think partly because the source of the fan-service is physical and involves older characters, as opposed to the youth/immaturity itself being the draw).

I totally got where you're coming from the first time around and I agree. Cast of all female characters being insecure and being saved by the Completely Rational Male Protagonist Who Is A Stand-In For The Audience and all other male characters are ancillary definitely hits a specific moe note hard. Even if it's not out and out a romantic harem manga it still has the same power structure but in that aspect it's just more of the same and not particularly egregious. The only thing that really bugged me was the really awkward line of questioning where a grown rear end man asks a 14 year old girl about her thoughts regarding the traditional sexual undertones of blood sucking and whether she'd do it to a girl or a boy cause that's definitely toeing the line of appropriate behaviour when it's played off as completely normal.

Personally I'm still kinda on the fence on watching cause I think Hikari's a good kid and there are some good jokes but I do feel certain uncomfortable beats directed towards the target demo pretty hard and it kinda skeeves me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Caphi posted:

I think Takahashi is really supposed to be a neutral party that the girls can talk openly to about their issues, and yes there is all the stuff about how the neutral party is automatically a dude and how male main character protectorate dynamics are implicitly shot through the way he relates to all the girls the show is actually interested in, especially with him being in a position of authority and maturity a priori.

But I somehow have a feeling that despite falling into all of those things, the show's heart is basically in the right place i.e. a lens to explore these girls' normal lives with quasi-disabilities.

Yeah that's fair and I agree with that.

Nitrousoxide posted:

What's skeevy about the first episode???

Did I miss panty shots or a girl falling on some guy's face????????

I know you're trying to provoke me but I was referring to Hikari's scenario of biting Yuki being framed in a somewhat erotic fashion followed by Takahashi's questioning of her regarding the sexual undertones of bloodsucking and the gender of people she thinks of doing it to. Sure, the premise of Vampires dating back to Dracula have had a heavy component of eroticism and seduction but it's definitely inappropriate for a teacher to be asking probing questions of a sexual nature towards their own student even if the show handwaves it as her consenting to it so it's ok. I don't get the feeling that the show is trying to titillate male viewers with the budding sexuality of teenaged girls but it's a moment that made me go :crossarms:

But it's 2017 and I'm on ADTRW so minor concerns like this aren't the hill I'm going to die on

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nate RFB posted:

I want to say they talked about this at one point, and it had the side effect of making her queasy since the head bob wouldn't be natural.

Sounds like some writer hasn't heard of a Steadicam.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
He would however never be able to get a good night's sleep again

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Guy Goodbody posted:

poo poo, I just realized that this is a problem that has already been solved. A steadicam vest! The head can be securely attached so it'll be safer than just carrying her, no swaying, an articulated arm so it's easy for her to look around, it's perfect.

god damnit i literally said this a month ago

Eej posted:

Sounds like some writer hasn't heard of a Steadicam.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

that's hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sure but the point of my post is just to illustrate my confusion in a "this is my best possible interpretation of the scene, and I'm still confused" way.

It's exactly what you're saying because it's already assumed by the show that it's cool to have a crush on and/or jerk it to your teacher.

• Locked thread