Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I used to read Seiha a lot but at this point his relentless negativity is just tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Colonel posted:

is relentless negativity ever not painfully tedious

Well, to begin with you don't realise it's relentless negativity, you think oh cool, this guy has cutting and incisive things to say about particular shows. And then you realise nah this person just hates everything and its a dumb schtick.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

To be completely honest, I do not like the manga this is based off of that much (and apparently the show is a pretty solid adaptation). While series like this all have plausible deniability in this regard, I can't help but feel that the all-girl/woman, mostly underage, and mostly crushing on the adult protagonist Demis are intended as a sort of moč fan-service, like a more high-brow version of typical panty-shot (etc) oriented fan-service. In particular, stuff like the "it's just an honest portrayal of girls going through puberty, nothing at all skeevy here (and it is a complete coincidence that it is only girls in puberty)" aspect is a little off-putting to me. I feel like series like this sort of revolve around fetishizing female youth.

That being said, I don't really have a big problem with shows like this; I just consider them to definitely fit into the greater "male-oriented fan-service" genre. The same applies to a lot of "cute girls doing cute things" shows, though I think the "~exploration of puberty~" part adds an extra level of discomfort to this specific situation.

Okay that is my opinion about this series. Just felt like mentioning it since it's obviously a pretty unpopular opinion (I think every other post in this thread is positive).

Nah, I agree with you there. This is part of why I think the 'romantic subplot' shouldn't happen. I think the show is on much firmer footing if it becomes about these characters' inner lives and uses the male teacher character just as a representation of a humanity that is curious and a little ignorantly hurtful sometimes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

chumbler posted:

I would think romance would be somewhat important to the inner life of the character whose main conflict is that because of her nature she can't be sure if anyone she is in a relationship with actually really loves her, and as a result she distances herself even though she doesn't really want to.

I think the solution to that is to have other relationships than romantic ones.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Terper posted:

She explicitly desires a romantic relationship

I think this argument becomes circular. Like I'm saying, I prefer if the show wasn't about romance. And you're saying, this show is about romance.

Anyway, it's fine if you like it, but meh.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Terper posted:

No, one character's motivations are tied to romantic developments. This does not a romance make.

I don't really know what we are arguing about right now. I'm just saying that I have a preference to some aspects of the show over others. To what degree do I really have to justify this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

What's skeevy about the first episode???

Did I miss panty shots or a girl falling on some guy's face????????

• Locked thread