Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

CrazySalamander posted:

I ship Takahashi/Science. His curiosity is very cute and endearing- it's something too many people toss aside as they grow older.

PYF: Anime scientists

Takahashi-sensei
Desty Nova from Battle Angel Alita
Hyouka Fuwa from Shimoneta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

a kitten posted:

Rintaro Okabe
The Professor from Nichijo

Hange from Attack on Titan

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

also the popularity of this genre can only be a good thing in this day and age if it compels curiosity and empathy for people different from you

This is so true! Aside from cutepire, I think that this is the favorite thing about this show/manga in particular: the good, progressive message about identity, body image, and tolerance. If I was a teen librarian for a public library, or a high school/middle school librarian, I would definitely get this for the graphic novel collection because it speaks really well to teen issues.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Also if you like "realistic considerations of mythical creatures in a modern setting", consider the far superior Centaur's Worries, which actually does cover social issues, monstery teenagers growing up, and cute slice of life stuff all in one!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

RubberLuffy posted:

let's all laugh at this "review" and how badly it misses the point

http://tenka.seiha.org/2017/01/interviews-with-monster-girls-01/

This is quite possibly one of the worst-written reviews I've ever read. Did the writer just vomit forth whatever was on his brain in a barely-coherent stream of consciousness the moment the credits started playing? Is he like 18 years old and trying to get cool points by sounding edgy and cynical? Did the word "editing" not come to mind a single time?

Terrible!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

wheelgun wielder posted:

I wonder if physicists could devise a test to see if signals between her head and her body travel slower than, equal to, or faster than the speed of light.

Physicists in the show, I mean. Of course.

edit: my fingers type much slower than the speed of light, obviously

They actually cover this in one of the latest chapters of the manga! Machi talks about how she once had a scope down her esophagus as a doctor examined her, and as far as they could tell she looked like a perfectly normal person on the inside. This leads them to theorize that the flame part is a wormhole of some kind.

I like that Takahashi is a real, honest, mature adult here. He really does seem to think of them just as teenage kids and has no ulterior motives other than to be their teacher and mentor. It's really a pedagogical relationship. That's what keeps it from being creepy! He acts and thinks like a real honest adult should, and I applaud the manga's author for taking it that route. It's just sad that this is something that makes the manga stand out rather than the norm.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

I think the monster angle is just a lighthearted way of inserting surrogates for physical disabilities/mental illness into a show. You'd have a much, much harder time marketing that story in manga format.

The only other story that dealt with disability in a straight-on way was A Silent Voice (Koe no Katachi). It was very good but also incredibly heartbeaking a lot of the time.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I wonder why nobody ever tried crafting some sort of harness so that she could at least "wear" her head above her shoulders and have some semblance of normalcy? I think some biomedical engineer would at least be up to the challenge, given how they have prosthetic arms and legs capable of some degree of controllable movement nowadays.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Onean posted:

I think the flame would make that difficult. You can't suppress it, since it's uncomfortable for Machi, and putting it above the flame would put it too high, even if you ignore the flame can adjust its height based on her mood.

Oh gee, that's a good point. Huh! I wonder if she has the same discomfort if her own head is placed above her flame?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Like one of these deals?

There you go!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I just had a rather dark thought. The show mentions that demi-humans were once persecuted by superstitious humans, and now are quite rare. Does that imply that the reason why they're so rare is that they were nearly hunted to extinction, purged by fearful crowds of witch-burners and demon-hunters?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Kyte posted:

Hey that looks familiar.

OH THAT'S WHAT IT WAS!! I knew that it looked familiar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. That was the reference!!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I feel that the little coda at the end of this episode was another thinly-veiled nod to the feelings of some people with disabilities. I've read a poll or something somewhere, where a number of people who were blind, deaf, and so on, were asked if they'd want to give up their disability. Many said that no, they wouldn't, as it was part of their identity, part of who they were. The way that Takahashi thought that Machi would be giving up part of her identity as a dullahan if it were possible to "cure" her, seems to echo that sentiment.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

This episode brought a little tear to my eye. They're such sweet, kind, well-behaved students! And Takahashi is such a responsible and caring mentor for them. The video thank you letter was super touching. :unsmith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Zeruel posted:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

This is the kind of image that the Conan franchise invented the phrase "sinewed thews" for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

no go on Quiznos posted:

I figured I’d check this out since I’m not really watching much this season and I can whittle down my backlog a little. I usually don’t binge watch series unless they’re really good. This one I finished in four days.

I really like this series. Tetsu isn’t a giant horny pervert or a complete idiot. There’s a good balance of humor and serious moments. There’s a sprinkle of fanservice that doesn’t dominate. It was really heartwarming.

Now if only Nurse Hitomi would get an anime.

I love how the best praise for this series is by defining everything that it's not vis-a-vis other "monstergirl" genre franchises.

• Locked thread