Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think Takahashi is really supposed to be a neutral party that the girls can talk openly to about their issues, and yes there is all the stuff about how the neutral party is automatically a dude and how male main character protectorate dynamics are implicitly shot through the way he relates to all the girls the show is actually interested in, especially with him being in a position of authority and maturity a priori.

But I somehow have a feeling that despite falling into all of those things, the show's heart is basically in the right place i.e. a lens to explore these girls' normal lives with quasi-disabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm surprised the only three dullahans on the planet aren't on some sort of pen pal system instead of trying to figure out how to eat, sleep, bathe, and travel by independent trial and error.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

brainwrinkle posted:

I remember them calling it "not a good system" but not directly bad. And the detective said that it's his one job function that would never be replaced.

Struck me more like he thought of it as the best solution available to a bad problem so there wasn't really a choice. Still dubious, but not... judgmental, I guess. I'd buy it if it was positioned more as counseling than monitoring, since succubus seems to be the type most likely to do a number on your self-image one way or another (Kusakabe notwithstanding) since it's the one that corresponds to social dysfunction/anxiety. There's also an element of "we can now cast legitimate doubt on whether a woman was 'asking for' molestation" and this particular plot point isn't a great handling of that.

And yeah I'm also a bit leery of the story doubling down on "older man helps vulnerable girl."

• Locked thread