Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnoHito posted:

LWA was good, but falls more into the "probably watch if I don't get bored/distracted" category. It's really hard to imagine myself not watching this. There'd have to be a disaster on the level of Kumamiko.

At the end of the series the humans decide they no longer want the demi-humans among them after all and drive them off into isolation. The teacher has actually been investigating them undercover for the government with this in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To be completely honest, I do not like the manga this is based off of that much (and apparently the show is a pretty solid adaptation). While series like this all have plausible deniability in this regard, I can't help but feel that the all-girl/woman, mostly underage, and mostly crushing on the adult protagonist Demis are intended as a sort of moč fan-service, like a more high-brow version of typical panty-shot (etc) oriented fan-service. In particular, stuff like the "it's just an honest portrayal of girls going through puberty, nothing at all skeevy here (and it is a complete coincidence that it is only girls in puberty)" aspect is a little off-putting to me. I feel like series like this sort of revolve around fetishizing female youth.

That being said, I don't really have a big problem with shows like this; I just consider them to definitely fit into the greater "male-oriented fan-service" genre. The same applies to a lot of "cute girls doing cute things" shows, though I think the "~exploration of puberty~" part adds an extra level of discomfort to this specific situation.

Okay that is my opinion about this series. Just felt like mentioning it since it's obviously a pretty unpopular opinion (I think every other post in this thread is positive).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Since I apparently wasn't that clear, I don't really consider this much of a harem manga; I consider it to be in the general genre of "cute girls doing cute things (but let's not kid ourselves this is aimed at an almost entirely male audience)". Moreso than the Dullahan and Succubus teacher being interested in the doctor guy (which doesn't really bug me to be honest), it's the way it seems to highlight the whole "girls in puberty being insecure/immature" angle in a context that is obviously not actually aimed at girls/women. Again, I don't think this sort of thing is terrible (and as mentioned before it has some degree of plausible deniability), but I just can't shake the feeling that "women/girls being insecure" is supposed to be appealing in a "moe" way or something.

The only reason I wrote any words about this in the first place is that I had this vague sense of misgiving and was trying to figure out where it was coming from. Stuff with more "explicit" fanservice like Keijo doesn't really bother me much at all (I think partly because the source of the fan-service is physical and involves older characters, as opposed to the youth/immaturity itself being the draw).

• Locked thread