Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Poor Vigne needs to just setup a timeshare in heaven. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Okay, I may need to start watching this again after all.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I hope the Gabriel Lullaby shows up on the soundtrack CD.

Vinge in her demon outfit would sell boatloads of dakimakura.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I have a canoe, will that do?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I will say, I hope Gab and Vigne getting in trouble with their bosses isn't a throwaway plot device. I feel like there's a decent setup in there for a pretty decent ending.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Poor Vigne. Amusingly Satania is probably the only one who's not getting her allowance cut. :v:

Speaking of Satania, I know which character lullaby I'd prefer.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

I will say, I hope Gab and Vigne getting in trouble with their bosses isn't a throwaway plot device. I feel like there's a decent setup in there for a pretty decent ending.

Well, although I don't know how much of the manga hasn't been translated yet, we sort of see the angels' boss, but even there the plot thread is left hanging.

And actually, now that I think about it, that whole thing where their allowances are cut is anime original I'm pretty sure. So maybe they are setting up for an original ending.

Agronox fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 21, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Vigne: Worst demon, best girl. :allears:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

:yeah:

I would be friends with her and enjoy it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Poil posted:

Poor Vigne. Amusingly Satania is probably the only one who's not getting her allowance cut. :v:

Speaking of Satania, I know which character lullaby I'd prefer.

I don't know. Satania might be less of a good person, but she's about as incompetent at evil as Vigne is. I can't imagine any of them are doing too well with the higher-ups.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know. Satania might be less of a good person, but she's about as incompetent at evil as Vigne is. I can't imagine any of them are doing too well with the higher-ups.

I slightly suspect that Satania's try-harding is basically just being extremely chuuni and probably doesn't accurately reflect her values as a person; I get the feeling she'd feel guilty if accidentally pushed a kid who scrapped his knee as a result. I don't see anything about her that would make me really think "bad person" to any degree.

Really the only ones I'm not too sure about are Gab and Raphi. Gab in the more "Doesn't care about anyone that isn't Vigne or Tapris" which is possibly the most blatant dereliction of heavenly duty; while Raphi might draw the line at causing physical harm but just has a more innocent version of Kotomine Kirei's desire to screw with peoples heads.

In a more cynical work I could see Raphi doing fine because "The Lord works in ~mysterious ways~".

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Satania is at least making a token effort at being evil, plus some of the things she's done could be considered 'bad' in a rather loose sense of the term, like the improperly recycling of water bottles, or the whole 'posing' thing from last episode. Compared to Vigne, who's more patient than a saint, at the very least I could see Satania not getting as big of a cut in her allowance.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I slightly suspect that Satania's try-harding is basically just being extremely chuuni and probably doesn't accurately reflect her values as a person; I get the feeling she'd feel guilty if accidentally pushed a kid who scrapped his knee as a result. I don't see anything about her that would make me really think "bad person" to any degree.

Really the only ones I'm not too sure about are Gab and Raphi. Gab in the more "Doesn't care about anyone that isn't Vigne or Tapris" which is possibly the most blatant dereliction of heavenly duty; while Raphi might draw the line at causing physical harm but just has a more innocent version of Kotomine Kirei's desire to screw with peoples heads.

In a more cynical work I could see Raphi doing fine because "The Lord works in ~mysterious ways~".

I'm not saying Satania's a bad person, just that compared to someone as supernaturally nice and helpful as Vigne she doesn't quite measure up.

Gab is clearly the worst at her job though, because while Vigne is simply completely unsuited to being a demon Gab is just completely worthless in every way and only cares about video games.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What did they actually teach in hell school if not how to ruin poo poo for others?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
let's just say the apple doesnt fall far from the tree

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Space Flower posted:

let's just say the apple doesnt fall far from the tree

Satania's family is special

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
BTW if you didn't get the joke in that segment, the coffee shop owner basically told her to act like a stereotypical gyaru from like, a decade ago. The actual phrase she says is "super very bad", with the "very bad" in English. Not too far off from the English slang usage of "bad", or the Japanese "yabai", AFAIK.

EDIT: After some googling, "super very bad" shows up in a Sailor Moon stage production song from 1996. That's a very old bit of slang.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

bwuh

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

It even has a wikipedia article, which lists it as an obsolete/dead phrase.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

looks like it's time to bring it back

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Dryzen posted:

looks like it's time to bring it back
       /

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This is one of the few shows where I kinda wish the subber would be more literal, or at least more sensible. The "kitchen sink" thing a few episodes ago, and the "homer" part this week... ugh.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

"itadakimasu" translated as "under the dark lord, amen"

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

I was perfectly fine with that one.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

AnoHito posted:

I was perfectly fine with that one.

The argument I hear against that one is that she's not supposed to be demonic at all, and praying to the dark lord kind of is, but eh.

The "throw a homer" one was what got me, especially because they say it like three times.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

z0glin Warchief posted:

The argument I hear against that one is that she's not supposed to be demonic at all, and praying to the dark lord kind of is, but eh.

The "throw a homer" one was what got me, especially because they say it like three times.

What was actually being said there?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Kibibit posted:

What was actually being said there?

A literal translation would be like "where are you throwing?"

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

z0glin Warchief posted:

A literal translation would be like "where are you throwing?"
Well that makes the whole scene make boatloads more sense, then.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

z0glin Warchief posted:

yeah that line was a miss for me because who says that? overall though, if I know what's being said in the japanese of a given line, then I think the TL of that line is, by nature, not meant for me.. I think the english script does a fine job of, as a tweet I saw put it, eliciting the same response without trying to translate the japanese literally. it's real cheesy which is sometimes a groaner and sometimes makes me giggle, like this one where the japanese is just "sasuga vigne" but the english script picks up on the visual gag and runs with it

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
wololo

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Vigne and Gab are going to switch sides by the end of this show aren't they?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
they've both effectively defected and live in elopement on Earth anyway

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Space Flower posted:

I think the english script does a fine job of, as a tweet I saw put it, eliciting the same response without trying to translate the japanese literally.

I'm in favor of this style of translation, but I do sort of think they take it too far sometimes, mostly when adding a gag when there was none in the original line (in which case you're explicitly not trying to elicit the same response). At that point it's mostly a question of personal taste though, so .

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I think there can be an argument for the overall localized tone of the show being supported by ongoing dialogue gags like that. It reminds me of Disgaea's localization, especially if you're reading it alongside JP audio

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Vigne and Gab are going to switch sides by the end of this show aren't they?

Gab gives zero fucks as long as her allowance is coming in as is her nature. Vigne cares a lot, but I imagine she'll inadvertently use Gab and her being a lovely angel as proof of her work to maintain her position. (Translations have only gotten up to the angels having to do a check-in, the demons haven't, but we get to see their pets)

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Space Flower posted:

I think there can be an argument for the overall localized tone of the show being supported by ongoing dialogue gags like that. It reminds me of Disgaea's localization, especially if you're reading it alongside JP audio

Yeah it's certainly a valid approach to take, and probably also a good business decision as it seems to be driving a bunch of discussion online.

I'd probably appreciate it more if it were done with a dub or manga, where I didn't have the original to compare it to—reading all these jokes while listening to normal conversation in the audio feels really awkward—but I'm hardly the target audience.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I'm usually very lenient when it comes to localization.

But I've lived all across the US all my life, East coast to West coast, small towns to the biggest cities, and I have never heard the phrase "throw a homer" in my life, nor could determine what it meant. When it happened the third time I closed my eyes and listened to the Japanese because I had a better chance of understanding that than the translated phrase.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
There were a number of really awkwardly translated phrases in this episode.

The hell does "Throw a homer?" even mean anyway? I thought that was exactly the kind of thing the pitcher in baseball wants to avoid? I know I would have also been confused as hell if I didn't actually know enough Japanese to easily pick out "where are you throwing?".

And Vigne saying the traditional Japanese prayer before a meal is supposed to further reinforce how she isn't demonic, changing it to some prayer to the dark lord doesn't even fit what the sequence was building for.

I can forgive the whole "Oh-so-beastly" bit because its a untranslatable pun joke. (Demon == Akuma, Bear = Kuma, she puts on a bear suit "Ah! Kuma!". :rolleyes:) The biker gang stuff is also way off from the literal translation but fits the tone of what was being said so it gets a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

• Locked thread