Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AnoHito posted:

One genuinely good angel shows up later. Also Vigne is good enough to make up for the both of the fail angels.

E: ^ Gab gets at least a little bit better and also doesn't start nearly as bad as Umaru does.

Eh? Isn't Umaru at least generally caring for her brother and friends and at least keeps up appearances of being an honour student?

Gab can barely even go to school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Spiritus Nox posted:

The show spends about 90 percent of its entire runtime doing riffs on the core gag presented in the first ep, so if you're not feeling it right now it's unlikely to get better for you, unfortunately.
I kinda disliked the first ep and though it got much, much better after that.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

Eh? Isn't Umaru at least generally caring for her brother and friends and at least keeps up appearances of being an honour student?

Gab can barely even go to school.

Gab also cares about her friends deep down (especially Vigne), and she also seems to genuinely dislike causing any real trouble for people. Minor annoyances, sure, but she draws a pretty solid line and generally tries at least a little bit to fit in.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Gabe is a good girl and an angel. That's the whole point of the closer for like every episode!! And the last line of the OP.

I think all of the girls have quirks as well as ways of keeping each other in check which is why it ends up a balanced cast.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Kytrarewn posted:

I would agree with this, but I already found the main cast likeable. Then again, I also found most of the characters in Umaru likeable (I didn't like Boomer's sister, though I can't adequately explain why).

They try to play the "But she's cute!" card when they're pretty rotten inside, and Boomer's sister doesn't really even have that card to play.

AnoHito posted:

Gab also cares about her friends deep down (especially Vigne), and she also seems to genuinely dislike causing any real trouble for people. Minor annoyances, sure, but she draws a pretty solid line and generally tries at least a little bit to fit in.

Minor reminder that she regularly wishes people would just disappear (and that she nearly did it herself in episode 1)

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I liked gab more than umaru at the beginning of their respective series, but umaru grows, and gab really hasn't. Still a fun show, though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Last episode was fun. Show was cute and fun. Might take second place in my season rankings, need to see how Bang Dream finishes.

Kinda wish that they had leaned ever-so-slightly harder on the rivalry between the Angels and Demons. The show didn't need to be a drama or anything, but I feel like having "real" angels and demons disapproving of our heroines' friendships could have set up for both some nice gags and some humanizing moments for the cast.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I liked gab more than umaru at the beginning of their respective series, but umaru grows, and gab really hasn't. Still a fun show, though.

i love both umaru and gabriel dropout, but umaru has good character development and themes beneath its layers of comedy that gabriel dropout doesnt have

rear end in a top hat angels and cute/stupid demons still own though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good Fist of the Northstar ref this ep.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There's more than 12 episodes, right? Right? They cannot not include loving candy.

:toot:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There's an OVA

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But it was only half an episode long. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This show's biggest weakness compared to Umaru is that it's a little too adherent to the status quo.

Gabe is slightly more sociable, Vigne is slightly less tolerant of Gabe's poo poo. Satania and Raphi are about the same but their interactions have gotten more balanced.

The jokes have stayed funny but I feel like Gabe got off too easily; I'd like it if something persisted.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Show was good. One of the only animes that gave me a genuine belly laugh at least once an episode instead of just chuckling.

Gab impersonating Satania's cackle was fantastic. :3:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Last episode was good. This was a good anime overall. However

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I 100% agree with this. I wasn't sure if I could get past the second episode of Umaru but was very glad I did. I looked forward to Gabriel but after this last episode I'm feeling pretty much the same as when I started.

All in all: Hail Satan

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Last episode was good. This was a good anime overall. However

I 100% agree with this. I wasn't sure if I could get past the second episode of Umaru but was very glad I did. I looked forward to Gabriel but after this last episode I'm feeling pretty much the same as when I started.

I dropped Umaru about halfway through but finished Gabriel Dropout so:shrug:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That little montage showing how Gab hasn't grown or changed at all didn't do the final episode any favors, but it was still a fun ep. Fun show, not great.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Raphiel is kind of terrifying

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Fun show, not great.

That's pretty much my final thought too. A nice, comfy comedy that didn't really do too much. But I still looked forward to it and enjoyed it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thirding that. Highly unlikely to make my personal year-end list, but a basically well executed show that I consistently looked forward to and avoided any real clunkers.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I couldn't stand Umaru and dropped it partway into the third episode. From what I understand Umaru grew more than Gab did but Umaru needed that growth because she was completely intolerable where Gab didn't need to change much because she wasn't actively dragging the show down.

This show had some real problems with consistency where a few episodes just fell flat or were weak, including the first and last episodes. But I'd say it's the funniest comedy I've watched reaching back until High School Boys in terms of actual laughs. That might say something about me not deliberately seeking out comedies but I enjoyed this a lot even if it's not going to be a top X anime of the year.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

That little montage showing how Gab hasn't grown or changed at all didn't do the final episode any favors, but it was still a fun ep. Fun show, not great.

maybe angels are eternal bcause they dont grow. makes u think

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One thing I like Gab more than Umaru is that Gab basically owns up to being rotten and fallen and largely gives no shits unless there's ramifications and even then she'll try and weasel out of it if possible. She's honest about it and the series is too. She could definitely be less rotten, but the series by its nature doesn't need that kind of baggage

Umaru is almost ashamed of her other self to the point of having three mutually exclusive identities among her friends and never seems to bring up the courage to resolve it. She certainly is building up the courage towards it and that's part of her arc. That's the nature of her series.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I definitely liked this show better than Umaru-chan, mostly because of its cast. The hidden-identity plot at the center of Umaru-chan meant that the show could never really bring all of its characters together, at least not until the last two episodes or so. This meant that we mostly just got to see the other girls interact with Umaru or one of her alter-egos, and not much with each other. GabDrop, on the other hand, introduced all four main characters in the very first episode, and then just had fun bouncing them off each other and pairing them up for different chapters. I also felt like the whole "main girl is a huge slob" aspect didn't get nearly as much screen time in GabDrop as it did in Umaru-chan. After the first two episodes or so, "Gabriel is a really lovely angel" becomes more of a running joke, rather than the central plot point. Umaru-chan definitely felt more repetitive in that regard. Finally, Umaru's character arc really wasn't all that interesting (and GabDrop does almost the same thing for Gabriel, although more subtly), so the fact that this was just straight-up plot-less gag anime didn't bother me at all.

In conclusion, this anime was dumb and fun as hell, and one of my favorites of its kind in the past couple of years.

That said, does anyone know if Crunchyroll is likely to air the OVAs?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
crunchyroll just kind of randomly picks up OVAs when possible. it's not something you can gauge easily so just hit up your friends at nyaa. or buy the BDs!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Is it bad that I was actively rooting for Zelel this episode?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

serefin99 posted:

Is it bad that I was actively rooting for Zelel this episode?

Nah, Zelel moving in with Gab would have been hilarious.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Nah, Zelel moving in with Gab would have been hilarious.

We are all Rephi.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
New chapter on batoto.

Pros: two good secondary characters show up.
Cons: pretty much all the humor looks to have been in puns and wordplay that doesn't translate well.

http://bato.to/reader#94b82bb2cf13c539

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Coffee Jesus tries very hard.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Coffee Jesus tries very hard.

And I kind of like that Raphi is surprisingly nice with Tapris.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Is it worth it to start reading the manga from Chapter 1? Or just find the second manga-exclusive tapris story that was talked about earlier in the thread, then try to figure out where the anime ends?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

Is it worth it to start reading the manga from Chapter 1?

Honestly, at this point, probably not. The scan (or maybe raw) quality is not that good, and the anime covered almost everything already. Maybe wait for the English releases, which are forthcoming.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
OVA 2 was very very good.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

OVA 2 should have been the final episode of the season. It's the best episode of the entire show.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

where in the heck did this ep come from

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Space Flower posted:

where in the heck did this ep come from

I don't know, but it has more character progression than most of the actual season. Maybe it was meant to be the finale but they couldn't finish in time?

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

There Bias Two posted:

I don't know, but it has more character progression than most of the actual season. Maybe it was meant to be the finale but they couldn't finish in time?

It's included on volume 3 of the show's BluRays. I think more shows are including OVA episodes on the disc to get people to still buy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I liked it a lot, but it's definitely a pretty massive tone-shift from the rest of the show. I can see how they would decide to keep it in an OVA.

• Locked thread