Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
BTW if you didn't get the joke in that segment, the coffee shop owner basically told her to act like a stereotypical gyaru from like, a decade ago. The actual phrase she says is "super very bad", with the "very bad" in English. Not too far off from the English slang usage of "bad", or the Japanese "yabai", AFAIK.

EDIT: After some googling, "super very bad" shows up in a Sailor Moon stage production song from 1996. That's a very old bit of slang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

There were a number of really awkwardly translated phrases in this episode.

The hell does "Throw a homer?" even mean anyway? I thought that was exactly the kind of thing the pitcher in baseball wants to avoid? I know I would have also been confused as hell if I didn't actually know enough Japanese to easily pick out "where are you throwing?".

And Vigne saying the traditional Japanese prayer before a meal is supposed to further reinforce how she isn't demonic, changing it to some prayer to the dark lord doesn't even fit what the sequence was building for.

I can forgive the whole "Oh-so-beastly" bit because its a untranslatable pun joke. (Demon == Akuma, Bear = Kuma, she puts on a bear suit "Ah! Kuma!". :rolleyes:) The biker gang stuff is also way off from the literal translation but fits the tone of what was being said so it gets a pass.

"Throw a homer, why don't you" = "that throw was awful"

It wasn't a turn of phrase I'd heard before, but I got it. The problem is I got it because I understood what they were saying in Japanese...

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Gabriel's "report" being a retelling of the story of the MMOs she played is perfect

• Locked thread