Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I like how they based so many games on Necromunda's ruleset, it shows how good it actually was possibly in spite of GW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

I just finished clipping all of my BB Skaven from the sprue, and didn't have a problem with a single tail breaking. I saw some complaints regarding the tails snapping when people were taking the models off the sprue, but apparently, they were using butter knives to do the job. Using my clippers, I was able to pop them right of with no problem.

Of course, transporting will be a different story, as those tails are spindly as all hell, especially the thrower. I fully imagine that, at some point, I will have a transport tray full of tiny tail ends.

You could just own it and call your team the Bobtail Brawlers.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Dreadwroth posted:

I like how they based so many games on Necromunda's ruleset, it shows how good it actually was possibly in spite of GW.

2nd Edition 40k stripped back to basics without any of the bloated nonsense that accompanied it.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Dreadwroth posted:

Like this chap said...

Roller Coast Guard posted:

2nd Edition 40k stripped back to basics without any of the bloated nonsense that accompanied it.

I think the 2nd ed 40k rules working ok for skirmish size games is a happy accident for GW, because they were loving terrible for 40k :v:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Isn't it really only 3 games? 40k, Necromunda, and Gorkamorka? I also wouldn't say that the rules are particularly good so much as they work fine on a skirmish level. They're still referencing lots of tables, comparing stats to arrive at target numbers, and melee resolution is haphazard. But since you're only using a handful of miniatures it's not such a problem. They were fine for their era, but if they were released as new today I think people would be pretty critical of them. That said, I'd still buy a rerelease of either Necromunda or Gorkamorka since I would know what I was getting myself into. I also wouldn't complain if they got someone competent to update the rules with modern design sensibilities.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Mordheim guys making Necromunda? Prepare for gang advancements so incremental they might as well not be there.

Also skirmish game in built up environment? Why not infinity? Better miniatures than Mantic and the fluff is maybe somewhat less boring.

As I have probably said, I have no loyalty to 40K rulesets and I'd play anything that does Marines better.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

People get really invested in the campaign progression of NecroMordheim, and that's one thing that Infinity doesn't really have.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oh yeah, totally. Like, I imagine a campaign system would work much better in a d20 stat system - especially if you start with CC/BS <10 as you are a bunch of bangers who still thing that holding a gun sideways does you good.

Unfortunatelly, Infinity isn't interested in that and Campaign Paradiso campaign... Isn't that interesting.

It would be possible to cut down Infinity to fit. Do away with a bajillion special rules and ammo types that wouldn't appear in banger land (and are probably unnecessary in actual infinity), maybe introduce some bot/power armor unreliability or whatever.

Call it the Infinite Underhive :v:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oh, and I meant it as a rebuke to Deadzone. I mean, if you're playing skirmish games with campaign rules as an afterthought, why not Infinity?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Signal posted:

People get really invested in the campaign progression of NecroMordheim, and that's one thing that Infinity doesn't really have.

Even though it suffered from the blood bowl problem of teams being basically gutted and not worth keeping, and runaway leaders...

Other games not doing campaign systems didn't make these ones good

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

JcDent posted:

Mordheim guys making Necromunda? Prepare for gang advancements so incremental they might as well not be there.

Also skirmish game in built up environment? Why not infinity? Better miniatures than Mantic and the fluff is maybe somewhat less boring.

As I have probably said, I have no loyalty to 40K rulesets and I'd play anything that does Marines better.

This is what has me worried. Mordhiem was a buggy boring piece of crap when it came out. So much so that it was only the second steam game I had refunded. I have no faith in that team making a fun game that works.

I highly doubt there was even AI in the game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JcDent posted:

Oh yeah, totally. Like, I imagine a campaign system would work much better in a d20 stat system - especially if you start with CC/BS <10 as you are a bunch of bangers who still thing that holding a gun sideways does you good.
[...]
It would be possible to cut down Infinity to fit. Do away with a bajillion special rules and ammo types that wouldn't appear in banger land (and are probably unnecessary in actual infinity), maybe introduce some bot/power armor unreliability or whatever.
So basically Neuroshima Tactics?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I wouldn't know, I never heard anything about it.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

JcDent posted:

I've not played the recent mordheim game, but is this more because the mordheim roster differs to the necromunda one in that you have henchmen who don't skill up as quickly as the 'heroes' anyway? Necromunda in comparison to Mordheim was basically 'everyone is a hero and gets skill points'

On that note:

http://cockeddice.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/34-year-old-man-realises-nothing-will.html

:v:

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Raged posted:

This is what has me worried. Mordhiem was a buggy boring piece of crap when it came out. So much so that it was only the second steam game I had refunded. I have no faith in that team making a fun game that works.

I highly doubt there was even AI in the game.

I got it for Christmas and have been playing the hell out of it. Not sure what it was like at launch but so far it's a great time.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Duncan has tips on a Orc Pitch themed base for BB. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN0fhFcIyBo

EDIT: Never mind - the Chaos player is a conversion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAG7G910q6Y

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 19, 2017

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Mordheim suffers (or at least did, when I played it) from three big flaws:

First, the differences in weapons and the various upgrades were tiny. Like you finally get a skill rank increase and it's a 3% boost to your ability to parry, or you can pick between two weapons that deal either 5-9 damage or 6-8 damage. It's meaningless and not very exciting.

Second, some maps just gently caress you over and there's not much you can do about it. I remember an "ambush" map, where the ambushing team is so spread out and the ambushed team so concentrated that it gave a huge advantage to the ambushed team! That's literally the opposite of how that map is described

Third, your team is tracking persistent injuries and has to be cautious or get hosed over, but the enemy teams do not. Despite this, you're pretty evenly matched in each battle, so it feels like a long slow grind to defeat rather than building up to be bigger and bigger badasses.

Hopefully, a Necromunda game will recognize these problems and do something to fix them. Necromunda's way cooler than Mordheim, and it deserves a great video game. Like XCOM. Get the guys who made XCOM.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JcDent posted:

I wouldn't know, I never heard anything about it.
It was basically a ripoff of Infinity made by people who had a giant boner for the old Fallout games. So rules for stuff like limited ammo and weapon jams, scrounging for useful scrap, Necromunda-like campaigns. An English version's supposed to exist but I didn't manage to find it back in the day and now the game's dead.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
New Warhammer Quest standalone announced - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/24/your-quest-continues/

Games Workshop posted:

Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower was one of the highlights of last year’s Warhammer Age of Sigmar releases (and that’s saying a lot, because there were some great ones). The return of the classic format, but set in the Mortal Realms, was an instant hit, and we’ve been bombarded ever since with questions about a follow on game.

Well, today we’re delighted to reveal that one is on the way.

Warhammer Quest Shadows over Hammerhal will be an entirely self contained game with a whole new cast of heroes and villains.

We’re very excited about this for all sorts of reasons. The game will obviously see new quests and challenges for gamers, but perhaps just as excitingly, this set will have an even more involved narrative, and will explore the dark labyrinths beneath one of Sigmar’s new Free Cities: Hammerhal, the twin-tailed city – a metropolis that is built around a Realmgate and sprawls across two realms!

It sounds like it might be a little less WEIRD WORLD MAGIC TOWER OF WEIRD, and more LET'S GO BASH MONSTERS IN THE SEWER, which for my personal tastes is a welcome change, though I enjoy both.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
There is room in my heart for both kinds of adventure. I'm just happy they're sticking with a slightly more grounded setting, and I hope they have some more human-looking heroes to reflect that.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
This year's Horus Heresy Weekender is going to have an Adeptus Titanicus game using 40K scale titans.

And can someone have the old SG thread locked?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

SRM posted:

There is room in my heart for both kinds of adventure. I'm just happy they're sticking with a slightly more grounded setting, and I hope they have some more human-looking heroes to reflect that.

Yeah, definitely. I just personally enjoy the more grounded setting, I'm an Old World junkie at heart. I like that they're doing standalone games in the various settings in that respect, room for all tastes.

Also, Gangs of Commoragh isn't looking too shabby either - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/21/combat-in-the-dark-city/

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

And can someone have the old SG thread locked?

Sent a PM to Pierzak requesting a lock. Soon we'll corner the market on discussing standalone plastic mans games.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

More grounded, with a sigmarine, a vampire, a steampunk dwarf from the steampunk dorfs that had been rumoured as far back as summer and a high elf mage.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
All existing models. Dorf Engineer, Dark Elf Fleetmaster, High Elf Swordmaster and Sigmarine Castellant.

More curious about what enemy models they're chucking in there. There's Blightkings, Blood Reavers, Acolytes and a Sorcerer on the box, if they chuck in the multi-part kits that'd be kinda crazy good for value.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JcDent posted:

More grounded, with a sigmarine, a vampire, a steampunk dwarf from the steampunk dorfs that had been rumoured as far back as summer and a high elf mage.
Sewers are more grounded than floating daemon towers from a different dimension.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

Sewers are more grounded

More undergrounded, perhaps? :rimshot:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

SRM posted:

Sewers are more grounded than floating daemon towers from a different dimension.

Weren't Silver Towers a terrain piece in WHFB and a unit in Warmaster?

We'll see it when it comes. I dunno if I'll be able to justify dropping money on it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Silver Towers of Tzeentch were/are a unit in Epic and Apocalypse.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If that dorf's rules aren't changed, he's busted as hell. Currently, if he shoots his shotgun (whether he hits or not) he gets an additional attack on a 3+. He keeps shooting as long as you make those rolls. I've only played one game with that chracter and he tore through everything virtually solo. That player ranked up like four times while my poor chaos lord only managed one.

Looks like this new set is just going to be a bunch of reboxed sprues. I already have the dwarf engineer, high elf swordmaster, and the chaos sorcerer, but if this is a solid expansion, I'll pick it up anyways. Given the prices on previous boxed games I probably wouldn't be losing out on too much. That said, sewers ain't sewers without skaven. :colbert:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I stayed up way too late watching Fury Road last night and had multiple Ork-gasms. I really need to finish up my Gorkamorka vehicles.

In BB news, the Mighty Zug is available for preorder (18 GBP/$22.50):

I kind of like this model - it has the character the normal Human sculpts are lacking.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

While it looks pretty good, god drat that pricing is absurd. £18 can almost get you a full team of regular players.

FW need to stop buying into their own hype, resin is not the 'premium' material is was once seen as and certainly isn't worth paying a large markup for the inevitable issues of having to get replacement parts or bending bits back into the right shape due to FW's lousy QC.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oh yeah, plastic 4ever. Mk III are almost perfect.

Almost.

They split the jetpac top (with the nozzles) in two for aome loving reason and now my marines have an unseemly seam on their packs.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zark the Damned posted:

While it looks pretty good, god drat that pricing is absurd. £18 can almost get you a full team of regular players.

FW need to stop buying into their own hype, resin is not the 'premium' material is was once seen as and certainly isn't worth paying a large markup for the inevitable issues of having to get replacement parts or bending bits back into the right shape due to FW's lousy QC.

It's probably less the material and more the labor involved. Resin takes time to pour, cure, and dry, much more so than metal or plastics.

But yeah, they are still overpriced.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Plastic is pricey because of thr mold, at least that's what blessed Leperflesh told us two GW Death Threads ago.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JcDent posted:

Plastic is pricey because of thr mold, at least that's what blessed Leperflesh told us two GW Death Threads ago.

Yeah. Injection-molded plastic requires high strength steel molds which are very very expensive to produce. But, once made, they last a very long time and the plastic injection molding process itself is less labor intensive than making resin or even metal models, and the material couldn't be cheaper.

So you make injection-molded plastic molds for models you expect to sell in high volume, and you stick to resin for low-volume products.

That said, GW seems to just decide in advance that some stuff can't possibly sell well as plastic so send it to forgeworld, and other stuff will obviously sell great so let's do it with the citadel brand in plastic. And forgeworld clearly has a team with more leeway for artistic input. And there's stuff that is just "traditionally" forgeworld (like chaos dwarves) so there are entrenched practices that are probably completely immune to the input of sales projections. It's messy.

The fact that GW owns its own injection molded plastic production lines further complicate matters, because in all likelihood their process for making their plastic molds is far more expensive than it has to be. Certainly the Chinese seem to manage to do it far more cheaply, and I don't think that's entirely down to labor costs.

One more thing to note: "finecast" was an innovation to permit GW to use molds made for pewter models, to produce resin models. That allowed them to use a cheaper material than the tin-based pewter without having to recreate their molds. Their R&D was clearly incomplete when they first started producing finecast, evidenced by the massive QA problems. Anyway, finecast doesn't fit neatly into the above split between cheap resin molds with high per-model labor and medium per-model material costs vs. expensive plastic molds with low per-model labor and low per-model material costs.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Chinese are doing good plastics? Of what? Because every chinese ham poo poo I ever ordered feels like resin and smells like cancer.

Also, yay, summoned Leperflesh.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

One more thing to note: "finecast" was an innovation to permit GW to use molds made for pewter models, to produce resin models. That allowed them to use a cheaper material than the tin-based pewter without having to recreate their molds.
I thought the same thing until I saw some Finecast still on the sprue (Settra, to be precise). Having done my own metal centrifugal casting, there is no way they could have recut a metal mold to add the sprue sections they needed in that layout. I'm not sure what GW did, but they sure did not repurpose the old metal molds,

As an aside, the rubber you'd use for a resin casting is very different than that which you'd use for metal. A metal mold is a hard, vulcanized rubber, similar to what you'd find with an automobile tire. Resin molds, on the other hand, are much softer, and have a lot more give when removing a fragile resin model.

JcDent posted:

Chinese are doing good plastics? Of what? Because every chinese ham poo poo I ever ordered feels like resin and smells like cancer.
At least one of them is doing Rhinos and Knights in plastic, but they aren't 1:1 copies. Also, like the new GW bases, the detail isn't as sharp as it should be. I'm sure they will improve the process though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JcDent posted:

Also, yay, summoned Leperflesh.

Recasts are always going to suck, yeah. They're making mold masters by casting plastic parts, you have to lose some resolution doing that. But like... practicaly everything made of plastic is made of chinese plastic, man. Think outside of wargames models, I'm talking about iphones and food containers and tv casings and laptop keys and printer parts and plastic fabrics etc. etc. etc.

But also a lot of other companies that make plastic miniatures, have them made in China. I'm including Taiwan as "China" here.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I thought the same thing until I saw some Finecast still on the sprue (Settra, to be precise). Having done my own metal centrifugal casting, there is no way they could have recut a metal mold to add the sprue sections they needed in that layout. I'm not sure what GW did, but they sure did not repurpose the old metal molds,

My understanding is that they used the metal molds, or the masters used to make them, as masters for making the finecast molds. And, that the finecast is a resin technology that uses sprues, so it's not standard resin process. Obviously GW has a very strong interest in keeping their technology innovations secret so we will not find out unless there is a serious breach of their security. Finecast is not exactly like normal resin and not exactly like old metal, but some sort of compromise that let the company reproduce metal models using cheaper material.

Naturally they charge far more for their finecast models than they did for the original metal ones, but that's a separate issue.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
The fact that GW products are made in the U.K. is why I don't immediately freak out about their prices. Yeah, there's some name tax for sure, but considering a board game of mostly cardboard is $60 MSRP while being completely made in China makes Blood Bowl at $99 not that big a deal. If those board games were printed in the US they'd be $99 easy.