Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

taking bets on whether the words "cursed city" will be spoken on stream today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

are they really loving going to just never mention Cursed City again? Holy poo poo.

lmbo it owns. just tossing it right into the memory hole

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

yeah radukar and his mom (?) showing up in the soulblight preview says to me that they were intended to show up in CC expansions and have instead simply been rolled into the soulblights. RIP CC, too beautiful for this world.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

No female space marines are obviously a weird legacy thing and the female stormcasts show that if space marines were introduced today there’d be women. I guarantee you someone pitched female space marines at the primaris design meetings and got told “our fanbase would go berserk.”

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

yeah i agree that they shoulda just done it

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

there's a certain kind of person who just loves Hierarchy. this goes here and that goes there and everything needs to be in its order or else terrible, awful things will happen. this is basically the entirety of jordan peterson's pitch in fact. anyways for that kind of person men have to Fight because they're Warriors and women have to Be Sexy and Raise Kids because that's their role, and if you don't follow that principle then the world is inverted and chaos reigns. usually those people think that way because by accident of birth they're somewhat higher on the hierarchy than other people but they're such appalling disasters in every other facet of life that it's literally the only thing they have going for them.

i may be a mediocre man in my late 30s who exclusively watches anime that's 90% fanservice and i never learned to cook, clean or dress myself, but at least i'm still a Man.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I assumed Sisters Of Battle---an infinitely more aesthetically radical army---was the answer to the "female space marine" question. That being said it'd still be neat to see women in the Marine ranks.

Age Of Sigmar doesn't seem to have the problems 40k does, at the very least. Fair amount of both men and women in the Stormcasts, aelves, forces of chaos/darkness.

there were female space marines in the earliest 40k fluff, and they existed at the same time as sisters of battle. Rogue trader era materials mention both.

the reason there aren’t any today is that in the early days GW was a much smaller company with much more limited resources, and female space marines didn’t sell, so they cut that range and invented a lore justification for it. Incidentally this is also the origin of the Horus Heresy; for the original adeptus titanicus game they could only afford one set of molds, so they just cast the models twice, painted them different colors and invented a reason why they were fighting each other. boom, now we have the Horus Heresy.

over the years a lore kludge meant to address a real-world limited-capacity problem has been elevated by grogs to the status of holy writ. Clearly if GW invented space marines today there would be women, see Stormcast, but they feel stuck based on the lore. It’s very silly but it seems unlikely to change at this point, but since sororitas are already a more powerful army than marines and about to get even stronger with a new book I guess grogs can deal_with_it.jpg

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the best space marine fiction makes them sexless (celibate but also androgyne) inhuman space monks

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

In Heresy materials it’s repeatedly noted that the Emperor’s Thunder Warriors felt human to those who interacted with them. Larger than life, but human nonetheless, with passions and emotions and feelings. Astartes never did, and even Valdor (himself an example of the emperor’s skill at making inhuman things) is freaked out by them. Over the course of the Crusade they got more human, but still there’s something ethereal and otherworldly about them.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Mostly the way they try to thread the needle is by having the actual space fascism be done by humans, with space marines at worst bemused and disgusted and at best actively working to prevent it. See The Emperor’s Gift, Spears of the Emperor etc. With the return of Guilliman in the recent lore, they had him all but turn to the camera and say “Fascism is bad, ok?”

When I started reading black library stuff in the early 00s the setting veered erratically between Starship Troopers (the completely earnest Heinlein paean to fascism) and Starship Troopers (the campy Verhoeven sendup of fascism). Since then they’ve settled on a tone that sharply criticizes the fascist elements in the lore but stops short of suggesting a viable alternative. “The Imperium of Man sucks, so do the best you can to mitigate it” is the party line. Heroic characters are usually the ones who stand up to the fascists and stop or kill them, but usually everyone agrees that of course the Imperium must be preserved, we just need to weed out this bad apple. It’s a liberal perspective, not a leftist one.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Randalor posted:

What IS the explanation for it being a no-show until now, anyways?

Titan seller! I'm going into battle and I have need of your strongest titans!

My strongest titans would kill you, Tech-priest! You need to find a titan-seller who sells weaker titans!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I strongly disagree. I’ve been resin printing for a relatively short time and I’m shocked at how easy it is. Yes, I occasionally get print fails, but almost always I can identify what I did wrong. I use proper PPE at all times. My prints look sharp and the Lychee slicing software is a dream. I would strongly recommend this for anyone who wants to make terrain or accessories, or even entire models. FDM printing, on the other hand, can completely eat my rear end.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

A heat gun on 200 degrees waved briefly over the affected area zaps away FDM hairs a treat. I used to have a lot of problems with oozing and spiking until I fiddled with my slicer settings.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The issue with liquid resin isn’t that it gives you cancer, it is that it can build up in your system and give you a sensitivity. People who worked with liquid resin in an industrial capacity and didn’t wear proper PPE can develop a sensitivity that makes it impossible for them to continue working with it (usually, blinding headaches at the smell).

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Moola posted:

I googled it and this was one of the first results

question answered I guess

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

LashLightning posted:

I'm fairly sure GW store workers were told to tell people to bugger off if they had painted their Cawdor/Redemptionists white and looking like the KKK. There was also an old Dark Eldar figure that could be painted as though she was wearing nothing but a string bikini - when it was actually a bodysuit with 'piping' over it - and that was one they were told to look out for to tell people to knock it off.

There may have been more model/paint combos they were told to not allow people to play with at stores, but I haven't been told them.

Ah, old Kruellagh the Vile. If she doesn’t scare you, nobody will.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

JcDent posted:

*DuckDuckGos*

Hah, the string version dominates images

Honestly, this one is GW’s fault. They knew what they were doing. If you look at the bare metal model she LOOKS nearly naked, and I saw way more people who painted her that way than who gave her the bodysuit.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Kruellagh being nearly naked is funnier when you realize her name is pun on Cruella de Ville

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

a7m2 posted:

Infinity, a different (better) skirmish game

Malifaux also has an absolutely top notch free app and is the best skirmish game I’ve ever played. Plus it’s got actually sensitive depictions of a wide variety of Earth cultures, though I’ll admit that’s a sliding scale - the old first edition holdovers are kind of cringey in places while the newer models are a LOT better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Covermeinsunshine posted:

They did scale back on a cheescake so thats good at least

A lot of that is part of the same process of dragging their attitudes into the 21st century - the few remaining unpleasant models are holdovers from older editions.

Squibsy posted:

My experience with Malifaux miniatures was absolutely miserable, however. Flimsy, fiddly, and designed by a committee of vicious sadists.

This is less true than formerly, but still true to an extent. They really need to get better at spruing the models; the sculpts are fine but they’re carved up in really bizarre ways for assembly.