Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
DOW?

E: by the time I have chilluns of gameable age, hams will have good rules for TT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Got my first/first league game.

My orks vs. Dark elves

How bad was it?

Well, it was his fist game in the league and three of his players leveled up.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Any of you lot have experience with the latest book of LoTR/Hobbit game? Specifically, does it give anything for Harad, Umbar and other super cool human nations?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, if you could point out which army lists it has, it would be nice.
It's pity if it's just Ahzog vs. Hobbits, I want my Easterlings :(

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Didn't seem buggy or crashy to me. As for the campaign... I never really got into it, since my inability to win made it hard for me to enjoy it. Best get some serious practice against bots.

It looks well, at the very least.

ED:

Some steam review posted:

Its graphics are beutiful, the combat is epic and the ships look beutiful. The leveling system for you ships is so satsifying - BUT - it went little further than that. I feel they did not comunicate with teh fan base as well as they could have. Battlefleet Gothic feels more like Task group 456789B - Skirmish - rather than BATTLEFLEET! The battles are small, repetative and short. The Micro doesnt let you really enjoy the vibrancy and beuty of the game and the fleets are too small to be impressive. In teh end this game came so close to glory and yet so far. Its worth 10-15 dollars - so wait for a sale.

It's basically the truth. The battles are really too micro intensive and fast paced for you to enjoy them vs. something like Nexus: Jupiter Incident. Maybe bigger fleets and some sort of simultaneous turn based combat thing would have been better in a fully 3D map.

Micro is especially intensive for Eldar, since it's up to you to keep them moving, because they die if you don't move them.

More ed:

I enjoyed the battles in Flotilla a lot more than in BFG, even if BFG has some bitching Imperial ships.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 1, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Expansion to the new WQ game?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Griff's helmet would work with Solar Auxilia. Thought considering how tinni babby head the orks are, the scale probably wouldn't match.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

It's just going to be called 8th edition, 40K is too recognizeable a name to waste.

Also, what is there to mourn? They can hardly release a shittier ruleset.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

dishwasherlove posted:

From the Mortal Realms. I was really hoping they might keep any Mordheim reboot in the Old World. I knew they wouldn't but I was hoping.

Well, if Shadows over Hamerhall(?) is of any indication, they're trying to bring some WHFB vibe back up in this bitch

Looks at his new Sigmarine book

Just not with the Stormcast.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

mllaneza posted:

Looks to be the new Necromunda, ships with 12 factions.

In the box, orks and Marine scouts.

12 factions? As in, all of them?

Not excited about the scouts (especially sniper scouts), but people are super hype about the terrain

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Sniper scouts can go jump, tho.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

If sniper scouts are anything like snipers in NM, they are going to be terrible to play against.

"Oh, you have a H2H gang? Sorry - they're all down by turn two."

Naw, I just hate the miniatures. I once bought a kit from sheer excitement of being at a GW store/sexy redshirt listening to my groging batting her eyelashes at me and I have had zero fun with it. Neither assembly nor painting was any fun.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

It's easy to release rules for 12 gangs when most of them are 3 3 3 3 1 3 1 7 5+ statlines.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Deadzone, but with fluff people care about and promotional minis not painted by idiots.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, I'll be interested in the rules. Dire Avengers are listed as one of the possible KILL TEAMS and I want to play Dire Avengers With Actual Weapon Options.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Weapon ranges!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Bust Chestabs

That shouldel pad doesn't look like a lion at all. God drat it, GW artists.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

8th edition is already making nerds everywhere lose their poo poo, it's great. Unfortunately, I am not feeling the amount of schadenfreude I expected to feel.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, no, Infinity is definitely not good in rules clarity sense (also, Religious and Morat are the same, AFAIK, just by any other name, then you have combi, regular and multi rifles, T2 rifles, etc.), and regular USRs in 40K aren't that either.

I like that an AoS Battlescroll has everything I need to know, 6 different flavor of shields included (and how hard will it impact your planning when a unit can reroll 1s vs. ignore mortal wounds on a 6?). Having the rules baked into a unit card is great. I think Dark Age and Malifaux do something like that.

"Oh, how will I plan for the enemy when his army doesn't have USRs I don't know" is bunk. You know that they'll have hordes or they won't; have monsters or not; have wizards or not, etc. and prepare accordingly. Same goes with ham and any other game. With Shasvasti list, you can expect camo and maybe TO, as well as cheerleading flamer bots. With Stormcast, you can expect 4+ saves or better, 2 wounds per model, slow speed (sometimes) and no wizards. I don't get the point.

Also, if the only difference between elves and humans in KoW is lack of elite, that sounds boring.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, thanks for angrily explaining this thing that I wasn't aware off that was brought up as a major pro point for KoW (which... nobody plays in my tiny little country, because tiny little country).

Infinity still has M values for every unit, two of them if you're using both points. And we have done a fair share of rulebook flipping looking for poo poo.

The gun and ammo types is really getting obnoxious at this point, and I still don't quite get hacking and the ways it can fail. And I almost get 40Ks psychic phase, The poo poo Gameplay Innovation Nobody Needed Award winner for three editions.

I think whatever 8th does, it won't make Hams worse, as it's already super bad.

There's always OnePage/Grimdark Futures, I guess...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Thirsty Dog posted:

Also I am totally on board with the idea that infinity can be fiddly with a lot of rules and edge cases. But you're comparing a game where your force is 5-10 models to loving 40k.

Yeah, but 40K gets 5-10 units, which, with the exception of Deathwatch and IC attachments, usually have the same stats. It's not like you have 5-10 units where all models have different stats (save for weapons). 10 unit army of Space Marines (2000 pts?) will have greater uniformity in rules and stuff than my NCA sectorial at 200pts.

Fortunately, Infinity doesn't have formations and detachments, which are a two layers of fiddly bullshit stacked on top of each other.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

mcjomar posted:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/03/40k-shadow-wars-armageddon-latest-pics.html

BolS posting with more pics of the game.
Looks like there's going to be punch out tokens to worry about.

How nice of BoLS to regurgitate everything we have already seen!

Maybe I'm just an idiot who forgot that defending GW is a fool's errand, since they aren't really good at writing.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Last game, my troll took out tge ogre in the first turn.

poo poo was great, scored my first touchdown that game.

Still didn't win.

Four loses in a row.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

My money is already in Sigmarines (unlike actual Space Marines, they're still a tough, low numbers army), so Lady Shadespire, Jaw Manslab and Liberator With A Grandhammer will do OK for me.
I won't be buying SHADOW WARZ, but that's OK, since the FLGS will have a rulebook as they're buying a set for the terrain (quelle surprise).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Totally agree with this argument.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I dunno how alive FW Necromunda is at this point.

I hope the models - if it's eventually going to be released - will be easier to customize and paint than the BB orcs, tho.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

It is Necromunda, but uses "kill teams" from the larger 40K universe. If you do not like NM, you will probably not like Shadow War. If FW does anything with Necromunda, I am going to assume it will be gang production only, as there would be no point putting out the same ruleset twice.

This is a good marketing scheme on the part of GW, as it goes after the existing 40K player base, rather than only relying on people familiar with the old NM game. This leaves FW free to only produce models, which is what they are good at.

I imagine they'll stick with the 4x4. There is nothing stating that you have to play at 4x4 though - you can scale it down if you want, it's just going to be really lethal a lot quicker.

And less room for maneuver.

Like I said, I hope it comes out with fun weapon options for Dire Avengers. I like them the most of all Aspect Warriors, but their gear is boring.

My other, totally unrealistic dream would be for them to seriously empower Space Marines.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Ashcans posted:

More or less in the same place (although I won't actually buy a re-release of Necromunda because I have no friends, so I can just glue a sign that says 'Necromunda 2020' on a box and put it my closet to the same effect). I enjoyed Necromunda a hell of a lot, but it's a little jarring to see them simply resurrect 30-year old mechanics without any improvement at all. I mean the things I loved about Necromunda were mostly the setting and the continuity, I wasn't so in love with the mechanics of HTH or ammo checks that I needed those returned to me unblemished by time.

Yeah, this. GW could scrap 40K rules completely tomorrow and I wouldn't shed a tear. As long as the new thing buffs Space Marines and Guardsmen, I will even stop bitching about on table artillery.

My FLGS is getting the whole thing in one and a half weeks, so I am waiting for it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

enri posted:

Speaking for myself here, but the pull of a GW game vs any other skirmish game with better rules is that I spent much of my youth heavily involved with WHFB and 40k, and I'd say I still know their imaginary worlds pretty well. I'm much older now with kids and responsibilities etc. and don't have the free time to pore over the details in every rulebook, or read every story of all the games I'm interested in so being able to jump into a skirmish gave where I'm already familiar with the setting is a big plus.

I do prefer to play skirmish sized games these days (again, age + kids + responsibilities + real life etc. plays a big part in that) and there are games I've played; malifaux, warmachine, guild ball, x-wing... all of these tick a few of the "is this game reasonably small enough for me to enjoy without spending a fortune?" boxes and whilst I've enjoyed them and their rules, I could barely talk for more than a minute about the settings these games take place in and that's a big pull for me (er, with the exception of x-wing at least...)

TL;DR: to some of us, there are more important things than the quality of the rules

Sorta this? I can hardly muster any fucks about Infinity's fluff, and this is the game I invested most of my non-hams money, and I have played more than hams.

Meanwhile, This Is Not A Test, Rogue Stars, Scrappers, Black Ops, Fistful of Kung Fu, etc. are all settingless games, and people around here are not into collecting generic miniatures or playing Hams on other rulesets.

As an added bonus: weapon ranges, armor save modifiers and all that jazz exist in Infinity, too. And when the time comes to calculate to hit chances...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

My case is somewhat exceptional, but pigs will fly before Dark Age, anything Mantic or something smaller makes an appearance around here. Hams? Yes. WMH? Yes. X-Wang? Wang. There are some Malifaux leftovers, but nobody cares about them.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's a complex game made for people who are specifically looking for a miniatures game that actually does all the fiddly poo poo, I'd say you could cut like 45% of the rules and the game would play better but that's kind of against the spirit of why people want to play Infinity in the first place.

I basically play because it has reaction. That's what I love about Infinity the most.

And if you want cut down infinity, there's always Double Tap.

I guess people are less keen to put in as much work as there would be mapping 40K onto Black Ops. Heck, I have a friend who is a die hard ONLY OFFICIAL RULES, even when he would admit (at times when we're not discussing alternatives) that hams rules are crap. He's weird like that, he doesn't even like moded vidja.

Frostgrave and Malifaux aren't Necromunda, because the former only cares about your wizard and the apprentice (the rest of the team are chaff) in a boring world, while the latter doesn't have Your Dudes feeling (unless you start pretending that this hero is actually your special snowflake).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Hence why I specifically said the campaign mode.

Do you get to name your summoner(?) and the troopers?

By the by, the rules for Tau, Dark Eldar and regular Eldar leaked. The Tau are all pathfinders (with Stealth suit, cadre fireblade and etherial as operatives), Eldar are Dire Avengers and Guardians (with Autarch, Wraithblade and Wraithguard) while DE are Wyches (with Succubus, Haemunculus and Scourge).

The strange thing is that Shadow War book will have default rules (?) for Scouts, IG Vets and Orks.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah HoR Killteam is cool and good and the only thing I play anymore. And its still receiving regular updates! :)

I have Opinions about how the community is running it! :v:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I never named any of my guys in Necromunda so I don't see how that's an issue here.

Found the foul xeno infiltrator

EDIT: to wash the taste of what the hell is wrong with you out of our mouths, lets look at the rules for Shadow Necromunda gangs that don't appear in the main box.

"Did you bring your Grey Knight Kill Team?"
"Yes, all five of them"

JcDent fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 1, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

You missed the terrain set that everyone bought the box for.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I think the point is that a dinky militia weapon is better than war aspect shrine gun.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Supposedly CSM are always looking out for number 1 (themselves), so they are easier to convince that running away is great. Meanwhile, Space Marines see glorious death as an acceptable outcome in the service of the Emperor.

So a CSM will NOPE after seeing some monstrosity and will run away to win single combat against enemy hero some other day, while a Space Marine will charge it to either kill it for the Emperor or be immortalized as that dude that died trying to melee a titan for the Emperor.

Plus, in regular TT - the shittiest of TT - you have to give CSM some downsides/tradeoffs for all those demon gifts and years of experience. Of course, that was implemented before the marketing became focused on Marines.

Meanwhile, poor Guardsmen, back to 6+ armor :(

JcDent
May 13, 2013

ineptmule posted:

ATSKNF is the wrong rule name to apply to being able to escape from pinning. Recovering nerve and whatnot is more what it's about.

All marines should be able to break pinning, they are always portrayed as shrugging off small arms fire due to their armour.

Pinning is about fear, tho. You are not knocked down by the impact; you are actually going OH poo poo and hugging the ground. That's why you have a pinning bubble: you see a buddy getting shot and you hug ground, too.

Does getting pinned affect cover? Can your miniature go from half to full cover since it's now down on the ground?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

How are you going to deal with their dearth of weapon options?

I'd say 25mm is Guardsman size, yeah.

Edit: Vostroyans are pro choice for Steel Legion branch carapce vets otherwise. Great minis - space cossacks - even if they are metal.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, aside from going "HoR Kill Team is official now," this is a great way to drag people in. Want to start Grey Knights? Get 5 models! You probably won't even use them all!

And finally, there's a compelling non-HoR reason to buy metal Guardsmen or, God forbid, Forgeworld kits.