Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think everybody already knew Necromunda was incoming when SWA dropped.

Canonically, the Sisters of Sigmar were wiped out after the events of Mordheim. But again that shouldn't really matter in the loosey goosey AoS continuity.

And I fully realize I'm biased in that this was my favorite setting, but I would strongly prefer revisiting Mordheim to a new Mordheim-themed level in the topsy-turvy magical realm of Sigmarland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's really stupidly hard to collect an Epic army, and this is a kind of huge gently caress you to players who have done more to keep it alive than GW over 20 years.

Like, suppose the next MtG expansion used larger cards.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hamshot posted:

Maybe how rare it is makes it all matter less? LIke sorry to all 17 of you globally holding GW to a scale they've decided against.

I guess telling the entire target customer base to get hosed is a good way to launch a product now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

2mm is a 33% increase at 6mm, I hope this helps your understanding.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Shadin posted:

You can keep mathing at us like it matters, but it's still only 2mm meaning that if you're really that salty about it, you could use your Epic miniatures in this new and different game.

It's more an issue that 6mm is the scale, not the size. It's relatively negligible for 6mm infantry, but it'll look goofy af on tanks, superheavies, titans, etc.

Which is fine since is a new game not meant to be mixed with Epic. But it signals that this will be another case of Dreadfleet instead of Man o'War.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Man o'War fans should be loving grateful for Dreadfleet, which failed proving that MoW was a garbage game for old people that you'll never see again.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hixson posted:

Sticking with old tired rule sets seems to be a really bad move. Horus Heresy is trying it out and now nobody plays it

Just ask Blood Bowl!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

For serious, that kind of disingenuous mischaracterization is how we got seventy posts of nothing.

E: 're nex0rmunda.su 

moths fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 8, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Remember when Blood Bowl was a 14 years dead game nobody cared about?

It seems like they've made LotR / Hobbit gaming deliberately impregnable. I found an absurdly cheap army of those elephant-having guys, and then 1) couldn't figure out which rulebook I needed, 2) couldn't find a copy of their oop army book, and 3) realized nobody in my state still played it.

They 're rad Arabian nights style fantasy villains so it not like I wasted the money, but holy poo poo guys. This is why nobody plays LotR.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yaktribe still had the LRB as of a few months ago, it's probably all you need for retromunda.

Cults are going to be dope. GSC appeared in an issue of Citadel Journal and it was broken garbage, it'll be nice to see what they do with them today.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

JcDent posted:

Hmm, GW rules... small, 7 man development staff... my bet is on broken garbage.

Oh, it's worse than that. Citadel Journal was basically fan submissions. So the GSC rules referenced a Patriarch (that didn't have rules) and the chance of 1D6 Inquisitors just showing up. (Who also didn't have rules.) It was someone's homebrew that made it into print.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The second complaint sounds like nitpicking. Once you know what a rule does, it doesn't matter exactly where in the book it appeared.

... And only a few pages from its first appearance is FAR from the worst. (Remember wondering how much damage [W] meant in 4e?)

I'm curious how much future expansion is referenced, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm definitely not a fan of it - but I feel like if all the relevant parts are in the same chapter, they haven't failed.

Information needs to be presented in some sequence, some things will always come after others.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There will almost certainly be a rulebook available separately in a month or two. SWA did the same thing, they just don't announce it because the hard sale usually leads the economy sale.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Aren't they the same rules as the old LRB though?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

dexefiend posted:

Who else has their gangs ready to go?

Oh these jerks need repainted hard...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Esher have also been loving around with genetics, so there's probably some of that happening too.

Is the any word on when Ratskins and Scavvies re-emerge? Or Redemptionists?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm digging the new Orlocks. All the gangs so far would look appropriate alongside their older metal counterparts, which might be a good way to designate juves.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Promethium Forge makes a bunch of MDF that really captures the feel of that original stuff, and has free cyber Monday shopping for the rest of today!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm in that middle of assembling one of their beer-can industrial tanks and ordered four more.

Probably the best source for cheap terrain is your recycle bin. Just about any plastic container looks good if you turn it upside down and paint it.

I made these last month from yogurt and cat food containers, and different bottle caps.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I saw they're doing a gang painting contest, but do I need to be on FB to enter?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wasn't the apology for getting all the rules wrong and making the game look awful?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

What the heck, that's just par for YouTube.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think you're looking at the rivet launcher, it's basically a NERF gun that throws hot metal rods into people.

One of the filler art pieces has a classic Rogue Trader era Guard helmet, they really put some love into this and I hope the Necromunda 8th Spiders actually make a comeback somehow.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I totally get how Necromunda needs to be its own district thing, but I'd love to see a return of the PDF defector, or Scavvies with ancient looted Guard gear from the Lost Cities.

If I wasn't up to my butt in Steel Legion, I'd be all in on these.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Catachans used to get demo charges they'd throw and then go home because they were out of weapons.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's actually really rad, looking forward to giving some cultists harpoon guns...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah I couldn't wait long.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's an ork nob bionik arm that with a harpoon launcher, so I grafted that to the cultist's autogun.

There's nowhere to mount the cable spool, but it still mostly conveys the weapon.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've been enjoying this Warmaster podcast, it's cool that things are still happening in GW's best game.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is Battle Companies a stand-alone or do I need the other book?

The website is strangely vague on the issue.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I went back to see how I missed that and it's the first line of the description.

I do wonder if it's a stand alone expansion, I'm actually pretty excited for this.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Apparently the core book and Fallen Kingdoms guide will set me back about $100USD. So I'm looking at a $160 investment in a game (which nobody plays locally) if this isn't self contained.

I think this is what discourages me every time I start to get interested in the LOTR battles game.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's the army list for the Haradrim, Easterlings, and the other humans who sided with Sauron.

Although looking at it now, I think their rules might be repeated in the skirmish book as well?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That seems like the most reasonable approach.

Plus it'll give me a chance to put some paint on my middle eastern middle earthmen.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Nobody likes the Easterlings! I actually picked up a ton of Haradrim when they went blow out sales, it's one of the upsides of living on the East coast.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Flagellents probably make the best dregs, maybe combined with free company bits as crazed deserters from other warbands.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Skaven plague monks would be a much cheaper starting point, but would definitely take some converting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Orlocks aren't out yet, unless I missed something.

The original six gangs exist in a pdf, though. That might be worth a look.

E: Er, that is to say versions of the other four original gangs are in the PDF.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

FW sculpted the iron sights on the bottom, underneath the barrel.

... confirming that nobody there has ever seen a firearm.