Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Alabama lost.

That's right, the Alabama Crimson Tide, the team with more national championships (even discounting Piggly Wiggly) than any other FBS program, has lost. They led almost the entire game, but with one second remaining on the clock, a miracle happened: Deshaun Watson made a two-yard pass to Hunter Renfrow. There was no Clemsoning.

Alabama lost.

Had the Crimson Tide won, Nick Saban would have tied Paul "Bear" Bryant in NCAA titles in the poll era (1936-today). He might do it next year. Hell, Alabama's already the preseason number one (we'll get to that in a second). Had the Crimson Tide won, Alabama would cement itself as having the best 10-year period in the history of college football (going back to 1869!). Pretty much the entire D-Line of the Tide are getting drafted.

And yet, Alabama lost.

In less than 11 days, the United States of America will plunge into darkness, but for one night, we can say that things are going OK.

Because Alabama lost.

ESPN's Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25
1. Alabama
2. Florida State
3. Southern California
4. Penn State
5. Clemson
6. Ohio State
7. Oklahoma State
8. Washington
9. Wisconsin
10. Oklahoma
11. Auburn
12. Michigan
13. Georgia
14. Stanford
15. LSU
16. Miami (FL)
17. Kansas State
18. Louisville
19. TCU
20. South Florida
21. Florida
22. Pittsburgh
23. Washington State
24. Virginia Tech
25. Texas

227 days until kickoff.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
Bama hosed up by not holding everybody on the final play.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So yea, the ACC is definitely the best conference.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/ChrisKirschner/status/818698009458470912

Must've been a real punch to the face

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Gonna have to be the one person here who disagrees heartily with the thread title. :colbert:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
bama household was devastated but then said hey this was our rebuilding year so it's OK

Clemson ran 97 offensive plays that game. that is absolutely insane

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

good job Clemson

tho they're probably losing a whole bunch of dudes to the draft/graduation

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

With their insane NFL death juggernaut players at every position, why the heck can't Saban get a quarterback?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

good job Clemson

It was their last chance w/ this bunch. Good for them.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

R.D. Mangles posted:

With their insane NFL death juggernaut players at every position, why the heck can't Saban get a quarterback?

because there are much better places than alabama for a quarterback to showcase their talents

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hope the Meth Tiger doesn't over do it tonight

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

R.D. Mangles posted:

He got their top one this recruiting cycle, from Hawaii

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

gg no re

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

He was pretty good this year all things considered. His running carried their offense for a big chunk of the year, and as bad as he was passing in this one he still had a long TD run that easily could have been the game winning score. He's gonna be a monster in a year or two

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I'd love to get the feeling of being in a big time bowl game back again after 7 years wading through mediocrity. Hopefully Herman is the guy to do it. We have oodles of talent.

Anyways, I'm glad Bama lost. Saban will retire and Dabo will take over for him.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

My dog was hiding in the corner after the game trying to figure out why I was jumping up and down.

Alabama delenda est

Ps I need a Clemson hat

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

He only really struggles in passing and he has a few years to sort that out. He executes the zone read well as a true freshman which is honestly great. Also we just signed a guy named Tua Tagovailoa who is apparently a stud

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Cleveland won a pro sports championship.
The Chicago Cubs won the World Series.
Bama lost the national championship by the slimmest of margins.
Notre Dame went 4-8.
Donald Trump is about to become president.

Someone wished on a monkey's paw, didn't they?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

good job Clemson

The NFL Draft or the military draft for WW3 that's coming after Trump is sworn in?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Remember you read it here first, but God Healer and Oracle J Leman predicted on the Big Ten Network that The Mighty Northwestern Wild-Cat is coming out of the West next year. See you chumps in Indianapolis.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

R.D. Mangles posted:

If the almighty Bama defense doesn't choke, we're talking about the legend of Jalen Hurts until the end of time

lmao those preseason rankings

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Just wanted to post on the first page here. I have a lot of emotions and beer in me right now but we loving did it. Dabo won the natty for us. He did it. He even called his shot during the post game presser last year. During his 3rd year, 2nd full, he went 6-7 and I was ready to fire him. I felt it was a lazy hire by our AD after Tommy Bowden for rightfully fired. I of course was wrong. He was laying a foundation. He was building a program. This wasn't a fluke. This wasn't just Watson. We will be back.

Assuming Saban doesn't retire in the next couple years and he leaves for Bama of course.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

MourningView posted:

He was pretty good this year all things considered. His running carried their offense for a big chunk of the year, and as bad as he was passing in this one he still had a long TD run that easily could have been the game winning score. He's gonna be a monster in a year or two

I dunno, I think it skews mightily to what Sarkisian (or whoever calls the plays in the next two years) wants to do. I'm not sure Saban really cares for this style of offense with Kiffin, and Hurts can easily be replaced by a much less wild-armed game manager running a pro style, like Saban traditionally liked before Freshwater.

Lane Kiffin broke Alabama records with Blake Sims doing weird stuff

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

R.D. Mangles posted:

Remember you read it here first, but God Healer and Oracle J Leman predicted on the Big Ten Network that The Mighty Northwestern Wild-Cat is coming out of the West next year. See you chumps in Indianapolis.

Michigan and Northwestern would be fun.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

pillsburysoldier posted:

I dunno, I think it skews mightily to what Sarkisian (or whoever calls the plays in the next two years) wants to do. I'm not sure Saban really cares for this style of offense with Kiffin, and Hurts can easily be replaced by a much less wild-armed game manager running a pro style, like Saban traditionally liked before Freshwater.

Well they just recruited the top-ranked Dual Threat QB in the country so

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp
god bless cfb and god bless tff. let the bourbon flow. see y'all in september :getin:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Alaois posted:

Well they just recruited the top-ranked Dual Threat QB in the country so

I know, I said that earlier :confused:

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/818700963192172548

https://twitter.com/BW_Jones/status/818704743832965123

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 10, 2017

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Go win the Heimlich Trophy!
I'm currently in a taxi back from Raymond James and oh my god watching grown men in houndstooth hats cry was a sight to behold. I can't wait to see what happens with that Clemson roster in the NFL because that's the first team in 2 years that just stood there and kept punching bama back in the mouth.

I also would not want to be jalen hurts or an early enrollee tomorrow.

Also Bo Scarborough is the truth and might have won them that game if healthy. He's Henry with mobile hips. And knees of glass

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Alabama was an average team that creamed a below-average overrated conference, got a couple of lucky breaks in the semifinals, and was rightfully humiliated and dismantled by the team that was the better of the two on the field last year.

Alabama Was Always Bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

pillsburysoldier posted:

Lane Kiffin had never coached a hurry up offense with a running QB before Bama, I have no idea why so many of y'all think going that direction was solely his decision and not something Saban wanted to do. Saban recruited Hurts for a reason, Lane didn't sneak him in when Saban was out of town or something.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hahahhahahaahahahahhhahahahahahahhahaa

*deep breath*

hahahahahahahhahahaahha

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Hahahhahahaahahahahhhahahahahahahhahaa

*deep breath*

hahahahahahahhahahaahha

This is the ranking before football starts.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

pillsburysoldier posted:

I know, I said that earlier :confused:

well you dont have an avatar so its not as easy to identify your posts on sight!!!!!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bip Roberts posted:

This is the ranking before football starts.

Yeah, you'll never get rid of us. We can lose 8 games next year and get a top 25 ranking in the preseason next year.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog

What did Cowherd do to piss off Dabo?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jack Del Huevos posted:

What did Cowherd do to piss off Dabo?

does colin cowherd not piss you off just by existing and having a platform?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Emron posted:

He only really struggles in passing and he has a few years to sort that out. He executes the zone read well as a true freshman which is honestly great. Also we just signed a guy named Tua Tagovailoa who is apparently a stud

To be fair if your quarterback sucks at the one thing quarterbacks are supposed to be good at it's probably fair to say he's not a great quarterback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, you'll never get rid of us. We can lose 8 games next year and get a top 25 ranking in the preseason next year.

Georgia excels at this, too.

• Locked thread