Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You see penalties on those picks so infrequently. I assume they're happening all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Washington will win the North then lose by 50 to Darnold

Did you watch Ohio St to close out the season? Barrett had no ability to throw a football

That was not a top 5 team

This is my rationale as well. Teams can get better or worse as the year goes on. Oklahoma would beat Ohio State if they played in a bowl game.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

I'm sorry dabo messed with your facebook friends

Dabo is so loving goofy and folksy, a Cracker Barrel would look at him and be like "GODdrat :rolleyes:"

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

LeeMajors posted:

Dabo is so loving goofy and folksy, a Cracker Barrel would look at him and be like "GODdrat :rolleyes:"

Well hell he's from alabama what do you expect

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Time for the hottest of takes.

https://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/818821544533069825

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

You see penalties on those picks so infrequently. I assume they're happening all the time.

I agree. It's firmly in the RPO lineman downfield, borderline holding camp of penalties. Could be called but probably won't most times, especially not on a winning play in the NCG

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Basically I see complaining about a pick as the same thing as going "they're not gonna call holding on that?" on every single play an opponent runs. It's dumb and I'm not going to do it. Clemson outplayed bama and deserves the W

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pick plays and linemen downfield lead to cool touchdowns and are thus good

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
we run pick plays all the loving time im not mad about them running a pick play im mad that we refuse to call defensive timeouts when we are clearly getting gashed

as soon as that PI got called that put the ball on the 2 or w/e i knew they were running the pick play. like just call a loving timeout and make sure you cover it

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Scionix posted:

we run pick plays all the loving time im not mad about them running a pick play im mad that we refuse to call defensive timeouts when we are clearly getting gashed

as soon as that PI got called that put the ball on the 2 or w/e i knew they were running the pick play. like just call a loving timeout and make sure you cover it

teams that pray together, stay together

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I seem to remember Notre Dame lost to Texas in part because they got called for a pick play, and then Alabama loses to Clemson because of a pick play.

So pick plays are cool when it means teams that I want to lose do indeed lose.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Ehud posted:

teams that pray together, stay together

now lets do this trust fall exercise DONT BUCKLE YOUR KNEES

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I'm a fan of dabo for the sheer fact that in a 2 year period he got Al Golden fired, and then beat Saban to keep the 2001 hurricane as the greatest national championship team of all time.

1995 nebraska isn't in the running because it's nebraska.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think it would be better if that game ended on a lame rear end opi rather than one of the most memorable moments in recent college football history. Also I call the HOA any time my neighbors grass is a half inch too long

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

KKKLIP ART posted:

I seem to remember Notre Dame lost to Texas in part because they got called for a pick play, and then Alabama loses to Clemson because of a pick play.

So pick plays are cool when it means teams that I want to lose do indeed lose.

FSU also beat Notre Dame on a pick pla last year

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Scionix posted:

Honestly could have used one right after the first long pass on that drive, why not

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

An outsider throwing liberal amounts of red meat at constituents upends the avatar of the establishment at the last second.

2016 still rollin folks.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 10, 2017

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
All yall mad about Jesus stuff and I'm over here full of the Holy Spirit dancin' like

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ehud posted:

do I think that colleges should cover medical expenses for football players? absolutely not.

it is jesus who is the great physician

The power of Christ heals more than any doctor ever could

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

15 of alabama's 17 drives lasted 2 minutes or less.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Emron posted:

Part of allowing those 31 points is allowing your defense to be on the field for 90+ plays against one of the best offenses in college football. If you don't possess, your defense gets tired. It's not on the qb, it's on the playcalling for the entire second half, which went:

-run for three to four yards
-long pass
-long pass
-punt

Even the best defense is going to have trouble if they're only off the field a few minutes at a time for an entire half

I'm going to allow you this excuse, but please note that us Auburn fans are going to need it back when you're done with it, it's our favorite.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The problem with ;ick plays is that no one knows the difference between a legal pick and an illegal pick and the refs never call it consistently

but Bama lost so its cool

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Wylie posted:

I'm going to allow you this excuse, but please note that us Auburn fans are going to need it back when you're done with it, it's our favorite.

Emron posted:

15 of alabama's 17 drives lasted 2 minutes or less.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

FSU also beat Notre Dame on a pick pla last year

It was 2014, but yes. Undefeated #5 Notre Dame scored the game winning TD with like 10 seconds left that would have beaten undefeated #1 Florida State at Doak. But they called OPI on Notre Dame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KphyRjN4isE&t=4717s

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, so question. Who does the CFB media like to give handsies to more, Ohio State (as evidenced by that final AP poll) or Alabama?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

iospace posted:

Ok, so question. Who does the CFB media like to give handsies to more, Ohio State (as evidenced by that final AP poll) or Alabama?

Yes

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Emron posted:

('Bama was bad at 3rd downs)

Dude, I know. Did you watch Auburn play this year? Once our balsa-wood and duct-tape QB went down, we were a 3-and-out machine.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Scarf posted:

All yall mad about Jesus stuff and I'm over here full of the Holy Spirit dancin' like

I am not mad I am glad that these young black men have a father figure in their lives who can point them to our lord and savior Jesus Christ

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

My thought: The DB initiates contact on the play as the WR does not run directly at him therefore the wide receiver can do anything he wants.

On the earlier TD pick play, the DB also initiated contact by running down into the TE to try to press and got his rear end blown up for it. That also = not a pick play.

If the DB's are allowed to press off the line, the WR's should be allowed to run their asses over.

If college has the same rule as the NFL, then it's legal for the WR to initiate contact within 1 yard of the LoS, which is why you see so many shallow crossing routes like that at the goalline.

-----------

Also there's a Bama fan currently taking hostages at a credit union on Bear Bryant ave.

One thing I gotta say about college fans is they're way more hardcore then NFL fans.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ehud posted:

I am not mad I am glad that these young black men have a father figure in their lives who can point them to our lord and savior Jesus Christ

Praise the spirit I have been baptized in the endzone of Raymond James Stadium

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AP/status/818851752506167296

someone's not taking the loss well

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Wylie posted:

Dude, I know. Did you watch Auburn play this year? Once our balsa-wood and duct-tape QB went down, we were a 3-and-out machine.

I have to be honest, man, I'm not really clear on the point you're trying to make. Are you saying Hurts is at fault? The defense? I don't know. Here is a set of things that are true: bama's defense got beat at a critical time, bama's offense couldn't consistently produce and survived off a few big broken plays, and Clemson played consistently well on both sides of the ball. Sorry if that offends

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Emron posted:

I have to be honest, man, I'm not really clear on the point you're trying to make. Are you saying Hurts is at fault? The defense? I don't know. Here is a set of things that are true: bama's defense got beat at a critical time, bama's offense couldn't consistently produce and survived off a few big broken plays, and Clemson played consistently well on both sides of the ball. Sorry if that offends

All I'm saying really is that "the defense can't play well when the offense keeps going three-and-out" is exactly what Auburn fans have been complaining about for years, so it's strange hearing it from someone else for a change. I ain't mad at ya.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 27 minutes!

Scionix no

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Pick plays and linemen downfield lead to cool touchdowns and are thus good

Thanks, Skip.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Wylie posted:

All I'm saying really is that "the defense can't play well when the offense keeps going three-and-out" is exactly what Auburn fans have been complaining about for years, so it's strange hearing it from someone else for a change. I ain't mad at ya.

I've always agreed with it! That's been bama's gameplay for a few years: smother the offense and get the defense tired, let your RB run for 150 in the second half (though in this case it was let Mike Williams run deep routes lol)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Also if God cared about college football as much as Dabo thinks he does then he wouldn't allow a game that goes until midnight on a got dang weeknight. The Lord intended football to be played on Saturday afternoons.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Not gonna lie i totally fell asleep in the 3rd quarter so the outcome is extra hilarious

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If Bama is going to have a bunch of 90 second drives they should at have at least hired Chip Kelly and made them entertaining 90 second drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Not surprised USC jumped UW. Toward the end of the season, USC became the better team and probably would have beat UW had they gone to the Pac-12 championship over Colorado.

• Locked thread