Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
This was Bama's worst offense in years and they still went 14-1 so let's not worry too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

big money big clit posted:

If Bama is going to have a bunch of 90 second drives they should at have at least hired Chip Kelly and made them entertaining 90 second drives.

I think he'll be available soon...

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

this man clearly bet the house on Bama

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

seiferguy posted:

Not surprised USC jumped UW. Toward the end of the season, USC became the better team and probably would have beat UW had they gone to the Pac-12 championship over Colorado.

Considering USC beat them just a few weeks earlier, you're likely right.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

buddhanc posted:

I'd love to get the feeling of being in a big time bowl game back again after 7 years wading through mediocrity.

Don't hold your breath

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Emron posted:

I think he'll be available soon...

He's been available for week or so.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

USF being in the top 25 is cool and good

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Regnevelc posted:

Considering USC beat them just a few weeks earlier, you're likely right.

Sam Darnold is a pretty dang good QB and he's only a redshirt freshman. USC is (probably) gonna get better.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I could see UGA maybe being like 25 with Eason and the entire backfield coming back, so sure 13 makes sense.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

big money big clit posted:

He's been available for week or so.

HIRE CHIP KELLY NICK

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Warbird posted:

Real talk, when was the last time Bama played in a National Championship and lost? I don't remember us being particularly good during the mid 90s up until 2008. This may be the first time it's happened since I've been alive.

'71 Orange Bowl is my conservative estimate.

edit: Close! '75 Orange Bowl against Notre Dame.

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 10, 2017

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Crotch Bat posted:

So yea, the ACC is definitely the best conference.

You are supposed to present this statement as an over-the-top joke so as to pretend you are just mocking SEC clowns and are not actually happy your conference did well.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

vyst posted:

Not gonna lie i totally fell asleep in the 3rd quarter so the outcome is extra hilarious

my (bama alum) wife was 7 months pregnant last year and refused to believe this was a rematch game because she slept pretty much the whole way through that title game and kept asking if we were lying to her about bama beating this same qb a season ago

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

vyst posted:

USF being in the top 25 is cool and good

Ya. Being from Tampa I would be a USF fan first had they been a D1 school when I started watching college football. As long as they never create we paths with the Gators I will always root for their success.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Proud Christian Mom posted:

This was Bama's worst offense in years and they still went 14-1 so let's not worry too much

Alabama would be 9-3 in the ACC

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

pillsburysoldier posted:

Alabama would be 9-3 in the ACC

They were 0-1 this year in NCGs and that's the only record that matters.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
GDT up.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Warbird posted:

Team beats Bama in a championship game with God's help.
Guys, I saw this one in 2008; I know what happens in the sequels. The next decade will be fun if history is anything to go by.

Real talk, when was the last time Bama played in a National Championship and lost? I don't remember us being particularly good during the mid 90s up until 2008. This may be the first time it's happened since I've been alive.

And in '08, Bama opened the season ranked 24th and upset the favored 9th ranked..Clemson Tigers.

Have we come full circle, or fallen into the twilight zone?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Thoguh posted:

Also if God cared about college football as much as Dabo thinks he does then he wouldn't allow a game that goes until midnight on a got dang weeknight. The Lord intended football to be played on Saturday afternoons.

True, I could have watched the game at home with a beer in my hand instead of listened to the radio while driving.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

MourningView posted:

Pick plays and linemen downfield lead to cool touchdowns and are thus good

Anything that helps Julian Edelman and his ilk keep a job is a blight on the sport.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

the good fax machine posted:

Don't hold your breath

Eh, we have a lot of talent and a new coach. Anything could happen. We're bound to be good again at some point.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Has anyone seen a good list of who has a (joking) claim to the national championship based on "we beat the team that beat the team that beat Clemson" chains yet? It should be huge this year, since Pitt lost to a lot of mediocre teams that lost a lot of games. Maybe we even have a Div2 claimant.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Has anyone seen a good list of who has a (joking) claim to the national championship based on "we beat the team that beat the team that beat Clemson" chains yet? It should be huge this year, since Pitt lost to a lot of mediocre teams that lost a lot of games. Maybe we even have a Div2 claimant.

Best I saw was Kansas.

This is all well and good right up until the point where Alabama wins next seasons national title.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

i hope the chain runs around enough that Bama claims a title.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
Did a quick, very unscientific evaluation of relative bowl difficulty across the P5 conferences by taking each conference's four best teams and finding the average ranking of their bowl opponents. Figured it was roughly a good indicator as the rest of the bowl games would likely follow this pattern. For unranked teams I just gave them the ranking of #26 for lack of a better way/imagination.

1. Big 10 - 9.25

2. Pac 12 - 11

3. SEC - 12.5

4. ACC - 13.5

5. Big 12 - 19

Would actually been have a bigger disparity between the B1G and rest if unranked teams were given a ranking of higher than 26.

Then adding up point disparity in those games, the rankings go:

1. SEC - +48
2. Big 12 - +34
3. ACC - +23
4. B1G - -27
5. Pac 12 - -42

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dilber posted:

i hope the chain runs around enough that Bama claims a title.

Bama beat Tennessee, Tennessee beat Va Tech, Va Tech beat Pitt

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Dabo is from Alabama so he's #BuiltByBama and they can claim the title that way

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/

4. Washington
5. USC

GTFO, coaches

in the same vein:

6. Ohio State
7. Penn State

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Go Texas go!

Komet posted:

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/

4. Washington
5. USC

GTFO, coaches

in the same vein:

6. Ohio State
7. Penn State

Lotta big ten teams in that top ten

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

I did see one on Twitter last night, JMU can claim both the FCS and FBS titles.

e: figured it out, it's Clemson < Pitt < Northwestern < Illinois State(loving really, NW?) < NDSU < JMU

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 10, 2017

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Here's a bad idea.

https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/818835565818900484

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Komet posted:

6. Ohio State
7. Penn State

Penn State lost one more game than Ohio State. Not sure why that is so hard for you to understand.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Tom Herman is a good hire, but not many teams get turned around that fast.

My take on the odds:

1. The fact that Alabama is given a 25% chance to win the championship every year is really bad for the sport at large.
2. Vegas has a lot of respect for Coach O, but it appears they still view Penn State as a fluke. USC and Penn State are both young and pretty equal teams, but I would guess that USC's odds are so favorable because Vegas does not see any competition for them in the PAC. The implication is that USC is a near-lock on getting into the playoffs and Penn State still has to fight its way through Ohio State and Michigan
3. I wonder what Ohio State's odds would be without Kevin Wilson?
4. Michigan is overrated going into next year. They were a senior-laden team. I'm not sure how you can argue their favorable odds unless Vegas believes Harbaugh is hiding some redshirt freshman or sophomore Andrew Luck type of QB

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Penn State lost one more game than Ohio State. Not sure why that is so hard for you to understand.

USC lost one more game than Washington. Are you seriously going to argue that UW is a better team, right now, than USC?

Komet fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 10, 2017

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

"It's not a crisis until people find out"

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Komet posted:

Tom Herman is a good hire, but not many teams get turned around that fast.

My take on the odds:

1. The fact that Alabama is given a 25% chance to win the championship every year is really bad for the sport at large.
2. Vegas has a lot of respect for Coach O, but it appears they still view Penn State as a fluke. USC and Penn State are both young and pretty equal teams, but I would guess that USC's odds are so favorable because Vegas does not see any competition for them in the PAC. The implication is that USC is a near-lock on getting into the playoffs and Penn State still has to fight its way through Ohio State and Michigan
3. I wonder what Ohio State's odds would be without Kevin Wilson?
4. Michigan is overrated going into next year. They were a senior-laden team. I'm not sure how you can argue their favorable odds unless Vegas believes Harbaugh is hiding some redshirt freshman or sophomore Andrew Luck type of QB

2. they are
4. he probably is

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Komet posted:

His name is Brandon Peters.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MyStereoHasMono posted:

If we're going by losses, it should be Clemson, Alabama, then Western Michigan :colbert:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

iospace posted:

If we're going by losses, it should be Clemson, Alabama, then Western Michigan :colbert:

I'm cool with this.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Komet posted:

USC lost one more game than Washington. Are you seriously going to argue that UW is a better team, right now, than USC?

You can't just discount the actual games played because of gut feelings and eyeball tests. In 06 everyone 'knew' the two best teams in the country were OSU and Michigan - you really going to tell me Florida should be playing OSU in the NCG? Earlier in this season many people thought Louisville was the only team that had a chance of beating Bama.

Aside from all that, its tricky to penalize a team for losing in a playoff game. AND one of USC's losses was Alabama's second biggest margin of victory of their entire season, second only to Kent State, by two whole points. So yeah I don't think its outrageous to rank UW above USC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kittenmittons posted:

I'm cool with this.

This is why I hate "strength of schedule" when it comes to CFB (college sports in general, really). It's 100% arbitrary and people use it to smug when it comes to their team.

• Locked thread