Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The last play from a bunch of different broadcasts, including Clemson, Alabama, and ya boy Finebaum.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/clemsons-national-championship-winning-touchdown-as-he-1791012085

That was fun, as ever espn deportes steals the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crotch Bat posted:

The ACC's been getting better for a few years now, it's just everyone else kinda refusing to buy in to the idea even though the evidence is clear as day, especially with how this year went. That bowl record alone is ridiculous at 9-3 but in general almost every program is in an improved state from 5 years ago and has become the most difficult out of all conferences in OOC games.

See, the ACC is the black sheep of the power 5. No one takes them seriously outside of FSU for football, though now Clemson and Louisville have been putting people on notice. Though it feels like the Big 12 is now headed to the "irrelevant conference of the power 5" as of late (which loops into how narrative plays such a big factor in determining who a "strong" team/conference is).

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 11, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

R.D. Mangles posted:

With their insane NFL death juggernaut players at every position, why the heck can't Saban get a quarterback?

Why could oregon never find a decent kicker the last decade?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crotch Bat posted:

If end of year polls are meant as a reflection on the whole season, absolutely not, Washington had a great year. If the polls are meant as a reflection on how the season ended then USC should be #3.

Speaking of, besides that Ju Ju Smith-Schuster kid did USC lose anyone else to the draft? If not I think they'll make a good run at the CFP next year.

poo poo, they could have made a good run at it this year.

I look forward to everyone coming to love, then hate, their QB. He looks like a bit of a douche, which you expect of your QBs, but I think he looks like a thumb.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Sash! posted:

I look forward to everyone coming to love, then hate, their QB. He looks like a bit of a douche, which you expect of your QBs, but I think he looks like a thumb.

He is basically :geno: incarnate, he is like the most boring interview of all time everytime I see him

But yeah, we probably could have gotten into the argument had we not hosed up the Utah game and blown our lead. I think the argument might have been even stronger since Darnold would have been unbeaten as a starter, but we got enough luck and bullshit back in the Rose Bowl.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Glumslinger posted:

Lets see, both starting tackles, a starting guard, starting D-Tackle, a starting safety, a starting ILB, Plus Juju Smith and probably Adoree Jackson.

So they return a ton of the skill players, and have good depth at O-Line becuase of past injuries

Pac-12 becomes a shootout between Washington and USC at this point. UW is having 8 starters from offense returning. While losing John Ross hurts, we're only losing him, a TE and an offensive line for starters. Defense is a little more shaky, but so far a good core is there to continue on.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Sash! posted:

Yea, I said as much after their game. He's going to be a smart kid and do everything properly which means people will hate him eventually (as opposed to hating him immediately for being a dickhead) and then he's going to leave in 2 years as the #1 pick and people are going to be dying for their team to draft him. It feels weird to have that sort of intuition that some kid is "can't fail" because he's like 18 and it's so easy to go off the rails in sports but man, it sure seems strong with him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

this season made me a kansas fan (when they're crushing texas dreams)

Your primer to Kansas fandom:

"When is midnight madness again?"

Man I've been thinking about the clock management at the end of that game and it actually offends me on some level. Not taking a time out to spike the ball screwing Clemson out of at least one potential goal line shot is one thing. A bad thing to my mind, but not the worst. But the onside kick. My god that was so horrible. That's the only way Alabama could have theoretically won the game outside of a return, a hail mary after an onside kick recovery. Hey, you want to avoid the chance of a return? Fine, do the same goddamned thing you'd been doing all game and pooch the ball high to the 35 or so.

They'd have been better off kicking the ball deep out of bounds.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 11, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

angryrobots posted:

That was fun, as ever espn deportes steals the show.

I thought Sean McDonough actually had the best call. He's a very underrated PBP guy. I love Fowler but I think he's average to below average in the booth. He's certainly competent and doesn't make many mistakes, but he just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's from 20+ years of being a studio guy.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Your primer to Kansas fandom:

"When is midnight madness again?"

Man I've been thinking about the clock management at the end of that game and it actually offends me on some level. Not taking a time out to spike the ball screwing Clemson out of at least one potential goal line shot is one thing. A bad thing to my mind, but not the worst. But the onside kick. My god that was so horrible. That's the only way Alabama could have theoretically won the game outside of a return, a hail mary after an onside kick recovery. Hey, you want to avoid the chance of a return? Fine, do the same goddamned thing you'd been doing all game and pooch the ball high to the 35 or so.

They'd have been better off kicking the ball deep out of bounds.

If they pooch it high, fair catch could have been called (and it was earlier in the game). Onside was the only way to not give them ANY shot, so I kind of understand it. I bet they expected a dog pile, in which the one second would run out and it wouldn't matter who recovered. But the one thing you can't do is get illegal touching, which almost happened.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wa27 posted:

If they pooch it high, fair catch could have been called (and it was earlier in the game). Onside was the only way to not give them ANY shot, so I kind of understand it. I bet they expected a dog pile, in which the one second would run out and it wouldn't matter who recovered. But the one thing you can't do is get illegal touching, which almost happened.

If Bama recovers with a knee on the ground the rule is the same as what happened with Clemson, no time elapses. I mean, Clemson did have to kneel the game out.

I'm fairly sure the clock doesn't start until possession is established, so a dogpile doesn't help at all. If I'm wrong on that point I guess that's a better idea than I'm giving it credit for.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

See, the ACC is the black sheep of the power 5. No one takes them seriously outside of FSU for football, though now Clemson and Louisville have been putting people on notice. Though it feels like the Big 12 is now headed to the "irrelevant conference of the power 5" as of late (which loops into how narrative plays such a big factor in determining who a "strong" team/conference is).

I've been talking up ACC chaos/ACC meatgrinder for years. :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

whiteyfats posted:

I've been talking up ACC chaos/ACC meatgrinder for years. :colbert:

I've only been active here in SAS only recently, to be fair. Though if you've talked to me outside of here (read: real life), I've been very vocal about how narrative determines how "good" a team/conference is or isn't in terms of public perception. Right now the spotlight is on the Big 10 and SEC. Soon enough it'll change.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Cool things this year for SDSU:

1. Won the MWC again
2. Double digit wins again
3. Led the country in interceptions
4. Beat the shot out of Houston in the Las Vegas Bowl
5. Ended the season ranked in both the AP and Coaches polls
6. Donnell Pumphrey became the NCAA all time rushing leader.

This year owned

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

I've only been active here in SAS only recently, to be fair. Though if you've talked to me outside of here (read: real life), I've been very vocal about how narrative determines how "good" a team/conference is or isn't in terms of public perception. Right now the spotlight is on the Big 10 and SEC. Soon enough it'll change.

I was mostly joking, riffing off the tendency of even good ACC teams to have one wtf loss to a mediocre conference opponent.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

whiteyfats posted:

I was mostly joking, riffing off the tendency of even good ACC teams to have one wtf loss to a mediocre conference opponent.

Ah, ok.

I'm curious to see how FBS school fared when you actually did an NFL style Strength of Schedule instead of the whole narrative based one.

... gently caress it give me a bit.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Ah, ok.

I'm curious to see how FBS school fared when you actually did an NFL style Strength of Schedule instead of the whole narrative based one.

... gently caress it give me a bit.

I'm an FSU fan, ask me about wtf conference losses.

(:saddowns:)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The trick with college SoS is there are many more teams and fewer games with shared opponents.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

a neat cape posted:

Cool things this year for SDSU:

1. Won the MWC again
2. Double digit wins again
3. Led the country in interceptions
4. Beat the shot out of Houston in the Las Vegas Bowl
5. Ended the season ranked in both the AP and Coaches polls
6. Donnell Pumphrey became the NCAA all time rushing leader.

This year owned

Congratulations to the Aztecs.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Ron Dayne still rushed for more yards in his college career.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TBeats posted:

Against much higher-caliber competition.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

iospace posted:

The narrative will be against the Big12 being relevant until Texas stops being garbage, since them and OU are the only teams in that conference the media gives a poo poo about.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

got any sevens posted:

Why could oregon never find a decent kicker the last decade?

Maldonado sucked a lot but at least it led to some entertaining 4th down tries in what should have been FG range? Aiden Schneider is really good though and they've got a guy from Hawaii that's coming in this year who's supposed to be awesome.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

TBeats posted:

However, the NCAA All Time Rushing Leader is Donnell Pumphrey

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

a neat cape posted:

However, the NCAA All Time Rushing Leader is Donnell Pumphrey

Ron Dayne still ran for more yards in his college career.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Yes, he did.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TBeats posted:

Ron Dayne still ran for more yards in his college career.

Who cares.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Dayne went to Wisconsin, no one cares about anything done against Big 10 competition.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

iospace posted:

The ACC isn't taken as seriously in football as it deserves because since 91 (or whenever FSU joined) we had a run of Thad Busby and Peter Warrick just cumming on everyone's face simultaneously.

Then, just when they were poised to become the mega-conference with the addition of Miami and VT, Miami and FSU fell off the map and Wake won the loving conference with Riley loving Skinner.

The ACC was the best conference this year for sure, but goddamned if they didn't spent 2+ decades undermining their future reputation.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Also a recent ACC power house is North Carolina. In football. Although to be fair they have been trying harder than anyone else in terms of getting players eligible.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

swickles posted:

Also a recent ACC power house is North Carolina. In football. Although to be fair they have been trying harder than anyone else in terms of getting players eligible.

DUUUUUKKEEE

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

LeeMajors posted:

The ACC isn't taken as seriously in football as it deserves because since 91 (or whenever FSU joined) we had a run of Thad Busby and Peter Warrick just cumming on everyone's face simultaneously.

Then, just when they were poised to become the mega-conference with the addition of Miami and VT, Miami and FSU fell off the map and Wake won the loving conference with Riley loving Skinner.

The ACC was the best conference this year for sure, but goddamned if they didn't spent 2+ decades undermining their future reputation.

BC also joined and Matt Ryan came on everyone's faces...

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/CecilHurt/status/818957222218711040

94 on the DL

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

A: Get Low
B: Drive or at least plant your feet....oops.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Riding your prize horse into the ground literally

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
He was like a human version of those tackling sleds the players push in practice.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Scarf posted:

BC also joined and Matt Ryan came on everyone's faces...

The most memorable thing about Matt Ryan at BC was that hit he took at Clemson where his helmet accelerated off his head into the ground at c.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alright, presenting the first ever* "gently caress the Narrative" strength of schedule rankings. I'm going to do this percentage wise down to thousandths (round half to even) here because some teams ended up playing a game less than others (Florida and LSU had a game canceled, for example). Also, bowl games, conf championship, and CFP games do not count.
*maybe

Let's start with the media's favorite to fawn over and suck the dick of and say "THEY HAVE SUCH TOUGH SCHEDULES", the SEC. I'm doing the ranked (AP final ranking because that's how I started doing it) teams only unless for some odd reason someone wants the unranked, in which case I may do it.

code:
LSU      : .638 (83-47)
Tennessee: .627 (89-53)
Alabama  : .599 (85-57)
Auburn   : .579 (81-59)
Florida  : .519 (68-63)
By comparison, Big Ten ranked:
code:
Ohio State: .590 (85-59)
Michigan  : .559 (81-64)
Penn State: .534 (77-67)
Wisconsin : .531 (76-67)
So of the two media darling conferences, LSU had a tough schedule just by opponent's records, whereas Florida had a pretty soft one and cruised easily to a division championship. Rutgers did the Big 10 no favors by going 2-10, because none of the SEC schools faced a 10 loss team (neither did Wisconsin, surprisingly). Of those schools, SEC averaged out to .592, and B1G to .554.

However, it's hard to get a 1-1 comparison unless I do the rest of the conferences, which I'll probably do later. Given those are the two conferences with the largest narrative power right now, it'll be interesting to see the averages once that's all done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

this is an extremely common component of all statistically oriented ranking systems

most go to second order opponent's opponents too

• Locked thread