Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

I disagree with the notion that there are downsides to anti-racism for white people. I am not materially harmed if cops shoot fewer black people. I do not lose "privilege" if black people aren't imprisoned at a disproportionately higher rate.
I agree? I think this is the point I just made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's not even worth ceding that though - it's only a material sacrifice if you're assuming that the white laborers are somehow not having their surplus labor expropriated, even in the racist-new-deal - they are, it's just less.

Like today, the people benefiting from all this aren't rednecks, the people getting beat on for being racists, it's white professionals, the people looking down on them. Who benefits the most from having cheap migrant labor do everything for them?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
White supremacy isn't solely about labor and money.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PT6A posted:

Inasmuch as you're then competing socially and economically with more people of colour who haven't been turned into a permanent underclass through the correctional system, you do.

It's still the right thing to do, and any negative impact on you or me or other white people is far outweighed by the huge benefit to people of colour, but it is not completely inconsequential to white people. It's just that, if you as a white person are concerned about that impact to your privilege to the point you would support continuing to incarcerate people of colour at a disproportionate rate, you're an objectively awful person.

Like factsareuseless and rudatron said, getting people out of prisons would have other positive effects. A society that keeps people imprisoned for no reason is not a society already operating at maximum efficiency. The result wouldn't just be higher unemployment.

The idea that a decrease in the black prison population would lead to an increase in white unemployment is crazy, and the fact that it's being propagated by people who consider themselves anti-racist is completely rear end-backwards

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It is if you're arguing it's a material sacrifice. Police brutality and lovely services don't benefit white people, if anything have more successful black people would raise overall productivity = more stuff.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

It is if you're arguing it's a material sacrifice. Police brutality and lovely services don't benefit white people, if anything have more successful black people would raise overall productivity = more stuff.

You do realize "material" in "material sacrifice" means "meaningful", right?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So what, exactly, is being sacrificed? It's not personal self-interest, because it's 'not just labor and money'. It's not morality, because that's on the side of emancipation here.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

So what, exactly, is being sacrificed? It's not personal self-interest, because it's 'not just labor and money'. It's not morality, because that's on the side of emancipation here.

The psychological, emotional, and physical benefits of belonging to an elite class of people who society is structured around supporting.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Anecdotal but I like talking politics more with Conservatives because they will calmly and rationally try to make their point, and if I disagree they will make a counterpoint or respectfully agree to disagree.

The other guys speak academic gibberish and if I disagree with even a fraction of what they want to say, start to lose their composure. It's unpleasant to talk to them. They're never content to agree to disagree because if you disagree you're a Bad Person and need to be corrected or ostracized.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Brainiac Five posted:

How do you sell people on the idea they shouldn't murder?

It took a war and soldiers occupying their towns afterward to stop the south from literally owning human beings, and they've been pissy about it ever since. Basically, you'll never convince everyone using moral or ethical arguments. Sometimes, you have to kick them in the teeth until they stop doing something so egregious.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Anecdotal but I like talking politics more with Conservatives because they will calmly and rationally try to make their point, and if I disagree they will make a counterpoint or respectfully agree to disagree.

The other guys speak academic gibberish and if I disagree with even a fraction of what they want to say, start to lose their composure. It's unpleasant to talk to them. They're never content to agree to disagree because if you disagree you're a Bad Person and need to be corrected or ostracized.

This but the exact opposite.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Talmonis posted:

It took a war and soldiers occupying their towns afterward to stop the south from literally owning human beings, and they've been pissy about it ever since. Basically, you'll never convince everyone using moral or ethical arguments. Sometimes, you have to kick them in the teeth until they stop doing something so egregious.

Thank you for reiterating the argument for the necessity of violence in a justice system.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Bullshit, you just said they're no physical benefit, and emotional gratification from being racist is derived from ideology, which you can replace with anything you want. You have that degree of freedom.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah me too. I've had better luck talking to conservatives about far-left politics than liberals.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Congrats on only knowing shitheaded 'other guys' I guess. I've not found a problem finding any side of the political aisles (give or take nazis) to discuss things with calmly.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Someone post the Hitler "just want to eliminate the Jews" comic.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TomViolence posted:

Say you're right and anti-racism is a material sacrifice that will adversely effect even lower class white people in meaningful ways, thus making it some honourable sacrifice that it's morally imperative they undertake. How do you sell that to the vast bulk of people, many of whom feel that even as things stand -- with the deck ostensibly stacked significantly in their favour -- that they're getting a raw deal? You can't wield this guilt-tripping idea that poor whites are the enemy of progress and hope to change their minds with it, all you do is feed their own persecution narrative and further entrench whatever prejudices they have.

The same way you sell "don't rob people, even if you feel disadvantaged and think you need the money"? Poor whites certainly don't have any problem moralizing about high crime rates among disadvantaged minorities, so why should it be an excuse for them?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

Bullshit, you just said they're no physical benefit, and emotional gratification from being racist is derived from ideology, which you can replace with anything you want. You have that degree of freedom.

What on Earth? I didn't say "no physical benefits", you liar, I said they weren't the only ones. I don't even know what point you're trying to make with the ideology poo poo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Talmonis posted:

Someone post the Hitler "just want to eliminate the Jews" comic.

Here you go:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

Yeah me too. I've had better luck talking to conservatives about far-left politics than liberals.

Hint: the pointy hood is a turn-off for liberals!!!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

The same way you sell "don't rob people, even if you feel disadvantaged and think you need the money"? Poor whites certainly don't have any problem moralizing about high crime rates among disadvantaged minorities, so why should it be an excuse for them?

What is robbing people an analogy of?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

What is robbing people an analogy of?

It's not an analogy. It's an example of how people willfully refrain from behaviors that would benefit them.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Why would you write a long-winded op about how your opponents are all idiots when you could have just gone to a website like the American Conservative or National Review or even Breitbart and found a summary of your opponents positions written in their own words? You don't even have any quotations from them. Is there any actual research behind your summary or did you just write it from the gut based on a few half-remembered arguments you've gotten into?

rudatron posted:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Like factsareuseless and rudatron said, getting people out of prisons would have other positive effects. A society that keeps people imprisoned for no reason is not a society already operating at maximum efficiency. The result wouldn't just be higher unemployment.

The idea that a decrease in the black prison population would lead to an increase in white unemployment is crazy, and the fact that it's being propagated by people who consider themselves anti-racist is completely rear end-backwards

I think that people's perceptions of where their interests lie are a bit more complicated than you're allowing here.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Thank you for reiterating the argument for the necessity of violence in a justice system.

I'd more say it's a firm argument for the existence of and monopoly on State violence (state as in government itself) to safeguard society. The breakdown is that we let the individual states and counties have their own standards of enforcement, leading to horrible corruption and systemic racism.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Also I'm gonna go ahead and say that any thread where every second post is by Brainiac Five is destined for great things.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tesseraction posted:

Congrats on only knowing shitheaded 'other guys' I guess. I've not found a problem finding any side of the political aisles (give or take nazis) to discuss things with calmly.

That's the thing. I want to dismiss them as shitheaded or bad examples but these are the guys organizing events, running Student's Unions, and presenting at conferences. They're the top people in the local community and the fact that they act like rude assholes turned me off the whole thing.

They get national coverage, write articles for major publications but are incapable of having a civil conversation with someone who is 99% in agreement.

e: as a well-known example some of these people are responsible for shutting down the yoga class for disabled students as "cultural appropriation".

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brainiac Five posted:

If a guy says he has had better experiences talking with conservatives than liberals, and based off that you call him a KKK member, you do understand that you are only supporting his argument, right?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
No, not at all Helsing, I'm sure their perceptions of their interests are more complex, but I'm talking about the reality.

Like, to all peeps itt, you're arguing that racism just feels good because reasons, that you can't substitute that with anything, aren't you making the same kind of existentialist argument that racists themselves make, about races, without any real evidence?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

That's the thing. I want to dismiss them as shitheaded or bad examples but these are the guys organizing events, running Student's Unions, and presenting at conferences. They're the top people in the local community and the fact that they act like rude assholes turned me off the whole thing.

They get national coverage, write articles for major publications but are incapable of having a civil conversation with someone who is 99% in agreement.

You're at university? Here's a hint mate: all politically minded people at university are without exception shitheads. Sorry, that includes you. It included me! To a one: shitheads.

I'm still technically a shithead now but I have to interact with consequences so it's harder to get away with it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Brainiac Five posted:

I'm Black. Guess which side is the only one that has given me poo poo about my "blackness" or is open about expecting me to say or think certain things because of my race.

I have had better conversations about the merits of communism with conservatives than the other guys, and about race relations too.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Brainiac Five posted:

It's not an analogy. It's an example of how people willfully refrain from behaviors that would benefit them.

So it is an analogy. Not robbing = not being racist. Its a terrible analogy for reasons that should be obvious.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm Black. Guess which side is the only one that has given me poo poo about my "blackness" or is open about expecting me to say or think certain things because of my race.

I have had better conversations about the merits of communism with conservatives than the other guys, and about race relations too.

This is a valuable anecdote and we should do what with it exactly?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

What's your opinion on the targeted voting laws from Republicans explicitly intended to reduce Black voter turnout? How about Black Lives Matter being equated with the assumption that supporting said message means you want police to die?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Nevvy Z posted:

Listen and accept that this is a thing he's experienced? Not make snide remarks or attacks on his character?

Not every post needs to be replied to.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

So it is an analogy. Not robbing = not being racist. Its a terrible analogy for reasons that should be obvious.

No, it's not an analogy. Lying will get you nowhere.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Guy Goodbody posted:

Of course it's a net good for society, and even most people individually, if people are not unjustly imprisoned. But it can be negative for certain individuals, or at least it could be negative for them in certain ways. Or they perceive it would be negative for them, regardless of reality. None of these are reasons why we should continue to imprison people unjustly.

There are plenty of things that are good on a societal level but can negatively impact certain individuals. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do them.

EDIT: In the context of your original post: yes, you will lose some degree of privilege. No, it will likely not affect your life, and it's entirely possible that the resulting changes in society not directly relating to that loss of privilege will benefit you.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 10, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

Listen and accept that this is a thing he's experienced? Not make snide remarks or attacks on his character?

Not every post needs to be replied to.

Oh good I didn't know if bitching about how mean those liberals are was confined to the election thread or not. I'm not sure what we do with it other than say "well we all know people in college are dumb and think they are smart" because college is when most people think they are smartest and are actually not.

People should really stop being lovely about race in general, but I suggest we start here on the very boards we post!

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 10, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nevvy Z posted:

Whatever you like. "Listen and Believe".

This is a thread about culture wars and I'm sharing the reasons why I, a person who has every political reason to be on board has been turned off because of personal experience. One man one vote begins with anecdotes but ends up winning and losing elections.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I believe that that happened to you but plenty of other people have similar anecdotes about lovely conservatives and I'm not sure how that can guide our efforts except to maybe try and call out people being idiots or people being lovely about race but that doesn't get looked kindly on around these parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Nevvy Z posted:

I believe that that happened to you but plenty of other people have similar anecdotes about lovely conservatives and I'm not sure how that can guide our efforts except to maybe try and call out people being idiots or people being lovely about race but that doesn't get looked kindly on around these parts.

Maybe don't focus on "calling people out" and focus on your own behavior instead? Just a thought.

• Locked thread