Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

Maybe don't focus on "calling people out" and focus on your own behavior instead? Just a thought.

I already that, thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

Maybe don't focus on "calling people out" and focus on your own behavior instead? Just a thought.

Is interpreting this as "don't ever try to change society" overreaching or...?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yes?

I think it's okay to 'call people out', but you have to be able to set boundaries. If you're going to end up 'calling out' 70+% of the population, for the normal poo poo they say, you've made a mistake somewhere.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

In other words, do nothing about racism and remain silent. You're being very revealing.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm not even being snarky. It is extremely important thing to think about how your actions are coming off towards the people you are interacting with.

E: tone matters.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

When somebody says something racist to me in a discussion I tell them that I think they're wrong and I explain why that is.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

rudatron posted:

No, not at all Helsing, I'm sure their perceptions of their interests are more complex, but I'm talking about the reality.

Like, to all peeps itt, you're arguing that racism just feels good because reasons, that you can't substitute that with anything, aren't you making the same kind of existentialist argument that racists themselves make, about races, without any real evidence?

I'm just not sure how much we can separate someone's perceived interest from their actual interests. Let's say I undergo elective surgery to donate a kidney to a friend in need. I perceive this to be in my "interest" but am I actually mistaken about this? It doesn't seem like there's a coherent way to a find a correct answer here one way or the other, it just comes down to my personal preference and judgement.

We can talk about racist societies operating below efficiency and thus producing lower standards of living (as measured in economic terms) but I think it's a fairly shallow interpretation of human psychology to think that their "real" interest always lies in whatever path will lead to the largest expansion of their material comforts. People desire to live for things larger than themselves and for people raised in certain cultural milieu that something can be a cultural or racial or otherwise sectarian identity that is necessarily defined in opposition to some kind of other.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

I'm not even being snarky. It is extremely important thing to think about how your actions are coming off towards the people you are interacting with.

E: tone matters.

If you're a white cishet male and know the codespeak of white cishet males, then yes, tone matters. Barring that, outnumbering your opponents matter.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Kingfish posted:

When somebody says something racist to me in a discussion I tell them that I think they're wrong and I explain why that is.

Yes, you like to treat racism as legitimate, we are all aware.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

The Kingfish posted:

That'd sure make it nice and covenient for the Trumpstaffel wouldn't it? Silence is assent and all that?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

In other words, do nothing about racism and remain silent. You're being very revealing.

Btw, would you posit that a white person has no practical incentive to not be racist? That is to say, if they are racist throughout their life, or even just through parts or one point, that racism will have garnered them a net gain, and will not come back to bite them through how it deprives them of the contributions of African Americans have to offer this country?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Tone matters. If you talk about racism in a monotone, people will understand it to be as important as accounting paperwork. If you talk about racism with normal human emotions, people will understand it as something other people feel things about.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

If you're a white cishet male and know the codespeak of white cishet males, then yes, tone matters. Barring that, outnumbering your opponents matter.

Actually, anyone can have a productive discussion with anyone else who is willing.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

Actually, anyone can have a productive discussion with anyone else who is willing.

The word you're looking for is "theoretically", not "actually".

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Brainiac Five posted:

Here's my call-out story:

I know someone who was shunned for wearing her engagement ring. Her fellow activists thought it was heteronormative and so a symbol of straight privilege, unfeminist because it was the equivalent of a dowry "like her father being offered a cow in exchange for her", and that she was reinforcing the patriarchal institution of marriage.

Personally, I would have been happy for her and focussed on her work as an activist. How did turning away a good activist help fight the patriarchy exactly?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

I'm just not sure how much we can separate someone's perceived interest from their actual interests. Let's say I undergo elective surgery to donate a kidney to a friend in need. I perceive this to be in my "interest" but am I actually mistaken about this? It doesn't seem like there's a coherent way to a find a correct answer here one way or the other, it just comes down to my personal preference and judgement.

We can talk about racist societies operating below efficiency and thus producing lower standards of living (as measured in economic terms) but I think it's a fairly shallow interpretation of human psychology to think that their "real" interest always lies in whatever path will lead to the largest expansion of their material comforts. People desire to live for things larger than themselves and for people raised in certain cultural milieu that something can be a cultural or racial or otherwise sectarian identity that is necessarily defined in opposition to some kind of other.
Human beings have certain easily observable and quantifiable desires - the desire for security, prosperity, purpose, community, etc. If you believe that 'sectarian identities' are part of those desires (and that such identities can only ever exist in opposition to some other identity), then you're arguing that racism is eternal. I do not agree with that. I think racism exists because it provides a feeling of an imagined community and security, as well as the (false) impression that there are people out there who 'get' you. There's nothing about those desires that necessitates the existence of something that they can only exist in opposition to, and that kind of thinking is a case of too much philosophical idealism. Does Man existing mean Woman must exist? Technically, but there's no special reasons humans must be men or women, perhaps in the future that distinction will no longer exist - that 'necessity' will have simply disappeared.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

The word you're looking for is "theoretically", not "actually".

No. Anyone who is willing can have a productive conversation with anyone else who is willing.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If you just jump through these hoops I might consider cops murdering small children to be wrong, or at least pretend to.- One of "The Kingfish's" conservative friends.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

As it is, one cannot control what others say. The best way to calm a discussion is to cut folks slack, whether you feel like they deserve it or not. I'm not singling you out for anything, I just felt that quoting someone helps to gain their attention, and by helping one person in a conversation notice it, I can help all person participating

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
Realtalk though; someone calling you out for stupid poo poo like microaggressions or cultural appropriation (and actually calling you out and not just talking to you about it) doesn't invalidate anti-racism as a concept or platform. Acting like they do is just an excuse to discard an already uncomfortable truth about yourself.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

I know someone who was shunned for wearing her engagement ring. Her fellow activists thought it was heteronormative and so a symbol of straight privilege, unfeminist because it was the equivalent of a dowry "like her father being offered a cow in exchange for her", and that she was reinforcing the patriarchal institution of marriage.

Personally, I would have been happy for her and focussed on her work as an activist. How did turning away a good activist help fight the patriarchy exactly?

Then they all started beating her up while chanting "Kill All Men", I assume.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

So you literally live in a world that is exactly like how all the right-wing blowhards imagine everywhere else is like. Huh.

Not to say it doesn't exist but can you tell me where it is so I can mark it down as a garbage place to be?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

If you just jump through these hoops I might consider cops murdering small children to be wrong, or at least pretend to.- One of "The Kingfish's" conservative friends.

All things considered Brainiac, Do you really think that discrimination against black people does not come back to harm everyone?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Talmonis posted:

Realtalk though; someone calling you out for stupid poo poo like microaggressions or cultural appropriation (and actually calling you out and not just talking to you about it) doesn't invalidate anti-racism as a concept or platform. Acting like they do is just an excuse to discard an already uncomfortable truth about yourself.
I don't think anyone here is trying to invalidate anti-racism as a concept or platform.

E: depends on what your conception of "anti-racism as a platform" is I guess.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tesseraction posted:

So you literally live in a world that is exactly like how all the right-wing blowhards imagine everywhere else is like. Huh.

Not to say it doesn't exist but can you tell me where it is so I can mark it down as a garbage place to be?

:canada: Ottawa :canada:

Brainiac Five posted:

Then they all started beating her up while chanting "Kill All Men", I assume.

No then she stopped participating even though she was a good researcher in Womens Studies and had made great presentations at conferences. She stopped helping with organizing and had to get a whole new friend group because her book club, knitting circle and all were these people who had jumped all over her.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 10, 2017

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

This is a valuable anecdote and we should do what with it exactly?

Listen and take it as information on his lived experience, whether you personal believe it's valuable or not.

Like...the ideals expressed by the OP are good ones. We cynical goons know that people often don't uphold them - even professed progressives - but that doesn't mean they're a bad set of principles to uphold.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thechosenone posted:

All things considered Brainiac, Do you really think that discrimination against black people does not come back to harm everyone?

Obviously someone benefits from it. To think otherwise is to be willfully stupid.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Brainiac Five posted:

If you put up with people's nonsense then you can persuade them to agree with you and support anti-racist policies.

Literally what you just said.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Here you go:

I don't understand why people who are ostensibly dedicated to making real-world progress are so dead set against adopting any strategy that doesn't fit their narrative of how things should go. Suggestions that the Left reach out to Trump voters using language and incentives that they understand is still being met with accusations of appeasement and moral degradation.

Imagine a general in a real war demanding a stand-up fight against a better organized, more powerful opponent because "history's on our side" and "we shouldn't have to fight in a way we don't want to!" That's every pollyanna on the Left right now who thinks tone, messaging and outreach don't matter.

At some point, probably very soon in America and Europe, the shrill Lefties occupying the limelight are going to have to decide which they care more about : actually improving the world in material ways, or being "right" in whatever egotistical way they've defined it. And if they make the wrong decision, everyone else is will have to decide what to do with them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yikes. Please tell me this is just on campus?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Obviously someone benefits from it. To think otherwise is to be willfully stupid.

But do you think that, ultimately as a whole, white people benefit on average from discrimination against black people?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Your friend was shunned by morons who are also lovely activists. It doesn't invalidate Feminism as a concept or something that needs activism.

The Kingfish posted:

I don't think anyone here is trying to invalidate anti-racism as a concept or platform.

E: depends on what your conception of "anti-racism as a platform" is I guess.

It depends. The phrase "this is why Trump was elected" is pretty indicative that the person posting it is dismissive of legitimate causes due to imagined or anecdotal College Activists.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Brainiac Five posted:

And you think that someone is all white people? What if it was actually some smaller and more powerful group of white people who benefit from racist policies?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Brainiac Five posted:

Some poor white guy in a trailer in Arkansas doesn't have time to think about whether or not he benefits from the intangibles of a racist system. He's just trying to figure out how he's going to eat dinner.

A problem with what you're saying is that guy doesn't give a gently caress. Never has, never will. So you can throw your book learnin' at him all day long and he's just gonna vote Republican because at least they talk to him on his level about things that affect him.

The left will never, ever understand this, I'm afraid.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

thechosenone posted:

But do you think that, ultimately as a whole, white people benefit on average from discrimination against black people?

Why would you think otherwise? Why else would people continue to maintain structural racism if it obviously hurt them? Are white people all suicidal?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
How many stories of 'lovely activists' is it going to take, before people entertain the idea that something may be wrong with activist culture, in particular, the way it's essentially been 'professionalized'? Or are we going to pretend this problem cannot exist, ever?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
That's the literal concept of White Privilege, guys.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Talmonis posted:

It depends. The phrase "this is why Trump was elected" is pretty indicative that the person posting it is dismissive of legitimate causes due to imagined or anecdotal College Activists.

I understand that you feel this way, but it doesn't indicate that to me. To me it indicates a frustration with the type of bourgeois college activism which eats its own young.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

Some poor white guy in a trailer in Arkansas doesn't have time to think about whether or not he benefits from the intangibles of a racist system. He's just trying to figure out how he's going to eat dinner.

A problem with what you're saying is that guy doesn't give a gently caress. Never has, never will. So you can throw your book learnin' at him all day long and he's just gonna vote Republican because at least they talk to him on his level about things that affect him.

The left will never, ever understand this, I'm afraid.

No, poor people aren't mentally deficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

the trump tutelage posted:

Imagine a general in a real war demanding a stand-up fight against a better organized, more powerful opponent because "history's on our side" and "we shouldn't have to fight in a way we don't want to!" That's every pollyanna on the Left right now who thinks tone, messaging and outreach don't matter.

The point of that image isn't to say "being loud is fine" it's to point out that 'sounding' reasonable is different from 'being' reasonable. In case you haven't noticed, I've not actually yelled that anyone here is a fascist, mostly because my combat keyboard needed some polishing first.

In reality the people you whine about are a tiny minority of progressives and the people doing the work aren't noticed because they aren't as loud. In fact, the loudness of the supposed 'SJW's only seems loud because they've reached the same volume as the crybabies on the right. Tumblr's moonbats and the alt-right's wingnuts are real and loud and yes very much annoying, but the election of the orange clown man is not the shifting tide of societal change you think it is.

• Locked thread