Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Well at least you admit it's a strawman!

I think you allude to a more correct understanding in your title - these "deplorables" and "progressives" are inheritors of an ongoing cultural divide in America that's been deliberately fostered by the US Republican party to win votes but is ultimately based on the human need to signal in- and out-groups and behave accordingly. Contrary to your opener, I suspect this is basically a uniquely American problem and even within the Anglosphere similar 'culture wars' are going to express themselves differently and have different root factors at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

stone cold posted:

Assuming that a. housework is only done by nebulous foreigners b. foreigners only do housework isn't at all bigoted. Like, yikes dude. Also, I feel like that has a pretty big misogyny element to it.

I don't quite agree with the narrative rudatron is building here (globalisation is as much about race as it is class) but that's not remotely what they're saying. Also, I feel like that's a pretty cheap shot at the end there.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

stone cold posted:

You don't think that there's a gendered element to the politics of housework?

Absolutely, but what does that have to do with rudatron's post?

rudatron isn't arguing that housework is the origin of the American culture war - that Donald Trump is going to be US President because of literally who cleans the kitchens of rich Democrats. It's a story they've made up to illustrate by analogy. rudatron's actual argument, correct me if I'm wrong, is that middle-class liberals are on some level aware of contradictions in their ideology (capitalism and equality are incompatible) and engage in the culture war in order to deflect that. Essentially, anti-racist/feminist/pro-LGBT rhetoric and ideology are co-opted by centre-left elites in order to avoid addressing their own exploitation of others - which includes, in this story, unskilled migrant workers.

There aren't any normative claims about housework or immigration in that post.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

stone cold posted:

If you don't see a problem with the fact that for the analogy rudatron drew on the foreign housekeeper, then I guess that's your whole scene.

So did rudatron say all foreign workers do housework and that's all they can do?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

stone cold posted:

You're comically missing the point.

I don't know, seems like I had a better grasp of what rudatron was saying in that post. It's actually a bit funny, since you're basically doing what the 'coastal elite' character was doing.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

stone cold posted:

Yep, that's me, definitely I totally don't actually care about minorities at all, or the poors. You got me, I'm just using rhetorical tools to keep my stranglehold on the world economy and keep exploiting the 99%!

Well, we were using a discussion about race and racism to avoid talking about something else.

Did rudatron make a normative claim about housework and immigration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

stone cold posted:

If the first example that you can think of is "foreigner doing housework," then you are the one with the problem.

Don't try to rules lawyer this, friend.

Okay, so rudatron didn't say all immigrants only do housework.

The scenario in that post is not a literal description of reality - it's a morality play about hypocrisy. The throwaway reference to "foreign hired help" is not saying "immigrant workers can only do domestic labour" any more than the throwaway reference to "white trailer trash dying from opioid poisoning" is saying "only rural white drug addicts are blamed for racism". They're both props for a one-line character assassination of the Democratic Party leadership; the primary character trait is that they are exploited by the commentariat/political class, and this is why the establishment left participates in the culture war.

• Locked thread