Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

People aren't really big on the whole "sacrifice for the sake of society" thing. Sometimes they choose to, but they don't appreciate being forced to, and they certainly don't see the social benefit as proper compensation for their loss - especially since they're often convinced that the supposed social benefit is bullshit someone cooked up as a lame excuse to deprive them of what they rightly deserve. A more equitable distribution of wealth and opportunity might benefit society as a whole, but that's no comfort to the people who benefited from the existing inequities.

I think that's a pretty big flaw in Privilege Theory. Casting any gain by black people as a loss for white people is not a great way to get white people on-board with anti-racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brainiac Five posted:

On the other hand, solipsists like you are good for nothing, so antiracism seems fine without ya.

What?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brainiac Five posted:

Your post considers the truthfulness of the theory as irrelevant. Someone indifferent to whether something accurately describes reality or not and who cares about whether it makes them feel good in their tummy is a solipsist.

If you seriously think that white people would be worse off in a less racist society, then isn't it logical for white people to support racism?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wrote about this in the feminism thread, but basically the benefits of privilege/racial bias for members of the majority aren't that clear-cut. I wrote these in the context of feminism, but the argument applies to racial issues.

You can pretty much just change the nouns around. Basically, it only works if you never, ever interact with a member of a different race, and even then you have to deal with all the economic problems of having a population that has more unemployment/crime/etc.

I disagree with the notion that there are downsides to anti-racism for white people. I am not materially harmed if cops shoot fewer black people. I do not lose "privilege" if black people aren't imprisoned at a disproportionately higher rate.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PT6A posted:

Inasmuch as you're then competing socially and economically with more people of colour who haven't been turned into a permanent underclass through the correctional system, you do.

It's still the right thing to do, and any negative impact on you or me or other white people is far outweighed by the huge benefit to people of colour, but it is not completely inconsequential to white people. It's just that, if you as a white person are concerned about that impact to your privilege to the point you would support continuing to incarcerate people of colour at a disproportionate rate, you're an objectively awful person.

Like factsareuseless and rudatron said, getting people out of prisons would have other positive effects. A society that keeps people imprisoned for no reason is not a society already operating at maximum efficiency. The result wouldn't just be higher unemployment.

The idea that a decrease in the black prison population would lead to an increase in white unemployment is crazy, and the fact that it's being propagated by people who consider themselves anti-racist is completely rear end-backwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brainiac Five posted:

Hint: the pointy hood is a turn-off for liberals!!!

If a guy says he has had better experiences talking with conservatives than liberals, and based off that you call him a KKK member, you do understand that you are only supporting his argument, right?

• Locked thread