Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm Black. Guess which side is the only one that has given me poo poo about my "blackness" or is open about expecting me to say or think certain things because of my race.

I have had better conversations about the merits of communism with conservatives than the other guys, and about race relations too.

This is a valuable anecdote and we should do what with it exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

Listen and accept that this is a thing he's experienced? Not make snide remarks or attacks on his character?

Not every post needs to be replied to.

Oh good I didn't know if bitching about how mean those liberals are was confined to the election thread or not. I'm not sure what we do with it other than say "well we all know people in college are dumb and think they are smart" because college is when most people think they are smartest and are actually not.

People should really stop being lovely about race in general, but I suggest we start here on the very boards we post!

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 10, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I believe that that happened to you but plenty of other people have similar anecdotes about lovely conservatives and I'm not sure how that can guide our efforts except to maybe try and call out people being idiots or people being lovely about race but that doesn't get looked kindly on around these parts.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

Maybe don't focus on "calling people out" and focus on your own behavior instead? Just a thought.

I already that, thanks. :)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Here's my call-out story:

I know someone who was shunned for wearing her engagement ring. Her fellow activists thought it was heteronormative and so a symbol of straight privilege, unfeminist because it was the equivalent of a dowry "like her father being offered a cow in exchange for her", and that she was reinforcing the patriarchal institution of marriage.

You should have pointed out that they were being sexist as gently caress because that is her ring and she gets to own property. The issue with doweries is irrelevant and they are bad activists.

the trump tutelage posted:

At some point, probably very soon in America and Europe, the shrill Lefties occupying the limelight are going to have to decide which they care more about : actually improving the world in material ways, or being "right" in whatever egotistical way they've defined it. And if they make the wrong decision, everyone else is will have to decide what to do with them.

It's a tricky balance because on the one hand some people just need to be told to gently caress right on off, on the other hand there are people who legitimately might be persuadable who are nervous about being yelled at for an accidental slip of the tongue or for misgendering someone.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

White people and black people had an argument. Truly, the SJWs have lost.

This unbiased report sure seems to indicate that that is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

thechosenone posted:

Couldn't this be applied to not being racist?

How? This question seems largely nonsensical.

• Locked thread